NY Budget Has $1 Bil In New Taxes

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Paterson announced a new $134 billion budget that will please no one except the numbers-crunchers.

School aid will be slashed by $1 billion. Health care will be slashed by another billion. Aid to NYC is about to get harpooned.

"The mistakes of the past have lead us to the breaking point," Paterson said.

But in addition to the severe belt tightening, the governor said he would need to raise $1 billion in new taxes and fees -- some politically controversial.

* A $1 increase in the cigarette tax, raising the state tax to $3.75.

* A new soda tax that will cost consumers 1-cent per ounce -- a 16-ounce bottle will cost 16 cents more, a 64-ounce bottle 64 cents more.

* The governor also plans to legalize and sanction cage fighting.

* And allow wine to be sold in grocery stores.

* And introduce 50 speed cameras on highways to catch unsuspecting motorists with fines of up to $100.

Gov. Paterson Proposes $1 Billion In New Taxes - wcbstv.com

Will the last one left in the city turn the light off when you leave?

Escape from New York. LA is next.

Y'all in NY just stay there in the nest you messed up. We don't want you coming to our neighborhood and doing the same stuff.

Escape from New York. LA is next.

Y'all in NY just stay there in the nest you messed up. We don't want you coming to our neighborhood and doing the same stuff.

Last I heard, NY didn't vote for Paterson.

Oh.. and NY had a 2.9% increase in population between 2000 and 2008, with an estimated population in 2008 of 19,490,297 people.

New York QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

From 2008 to 2009 NY was the number one tourist destination in the country, overtaking Orlando for the first time in decades, with tourism revenues of almost 28 billion dollars to the City.

New York City Reigns as Number One Tourist Destination - Business Exchange

Doesn't sound like its time to turn out the lights yet.

I might need to start smuggling cigarettes to NY.

Good luck finding someplace to smoke them. :eusa_eh:

Ohh just for profit. I live in rural KY.
I can go out behind my house and target shoot my guns without going to jail.
Most counties in KY have no smoking ban yet.
But more are going smokeless all the time.

Well, if we did that, we'd hit someone else's house. So they frown on target shooting here.

I still think that proprietors should be able to choose whether their establishments are smoking or non-smoking. I think most would be non-smoking anyway, but I never did think it was right to have a total ban. And now I'm told you can't smoke in city parks. THAT to me is just wrong.

I quit smoking two years before my son was born. I stayed quit for another six years after that. Quit again two years ago because I had to get on a 12 hour flight and didn't want to have a breakdown on the flight. I'm still not smoking. I always liked having a cigarette and a cup of coffee or drink.

I figure when I'm 80 I can start again and no one will bother me. lol.

Good luck finding someplace to smoke them. :eusa_eh:

Ohh just for profit. I live in rural KY.
I can go out behind my house and target shoot my guns without going to jail.
Most counties in KY have no smoking ban yet.
But more are going smokeless all the time.

Well, if we did that, we'd hit someone else's house. So they frown on target shooting here.

I still think that proprietors should be able to choose whether their establishments are smoking or non-smoking. I think most would be non-smoking anyway, but I never did think it was right to have a total ban. And now I'm told you can't smoke in city parks. THAT to me is just wrong.

I quit smoking two years before my son was born. I stayed quit for another six years after that. Quit again two years ago because I had to get on a 12 hour flight and didn't want to have a breakdown on the flight. I'm still not smoking. I always liked having a cigarette and a cup of coffee or drink.

I figure when I'm 80 I can start again and no one will bother me. lol.

I smoke, but see both sides of the argument. I do not smoke in others cars or even in my home. I smoke outside or in my workshop. Heck with the other welding fumes and such in there the smoking is not noticed :)

I too believe with private businesses it should be up to the owner. A supply and demand kind of thing.

I de believe in all govt and public buildings like libraries and such smoking should be banned. However bars, restaruants, etc should be up to the owner.
and on the employees, if they do not like it they are free to find another job.
A smoking workplace would attract some employees.

Paterson announced a new $134 billion budget that will please no one except the numbers-crunchers.

School aid will be slashed by $1 billion. Health care will be slashed by another billion. Aid to NYC is about to get harpooned.

"The mistakes of the past have lead us to the breaking point," Paterson said.

But in addition to the severe belt tightening, the governor said he would need to raise $1 billion in new taxes and fees -- some politically controversial.

* A $1 increase in the cigarette tax, raising the state tax to $3.75.

* A new soda tax that will cost consumers 1-cent per ounce -- a 16-ounce bottle will cost 16 cents more, a 64-ounce bottle 64 cents more.

* The governor also plans to legalize and sanction cage fighting.

* And allow wine to be sold in grocery stores.

* And introduce 50 speed cameras on highways to catch unsuspecting motorists with fines of up to $100.

Gov. Paterson Proposes $1 Billion In New Taxes - wcbstv.com

Will the last one left in the city turn the light off when you leave?

Strange isn't it, that at the behest of the teachers' union, NYState turned down a shot at a billion federal dollars, just so they don't have to show the relationship between student's scores and who their teachers were.

New taxes is always a good idea in the most 0over taxed city in America, during a recession.

How long till Gov Cuomo takes over?

There are two major problems confronting NY State.

1. The Democrats.

2. The Democrats.

The QUESTION is "which is worse?"

Is it worse to have created a major fiscal disaster and deliberately do nothing about it (as the Democrat Party legislature does) or is it worse to deal with the massive fiscal crisis by once again resorting to the old Democrat Parody stand-by: "raise taxes?"

I do not hold Gov. Patterson in high esteem. But confronted with a significant and very real and deadly serious budget catastrophe coming, at least Patterson has made some moves to CUT SPENDING and is urging that we raise taxes to actually PAY FOR the things we are committed to pay for.

The idiot Democratics in the NY State Legislature, by contrast, persist in sticking their heads in the sand and not even acknowledging that the Category 5 budget storm IS (unquestionably) coming.

Patterson has come up with the wrong proposed "solution" (the raising taxes component). He is hell bent on killing the golden goose. But even so, at least he recognizes that the storm warnings are up!

The real solution is going to be a major problem, but if we want to salvage the Empire State, reality has to be faced sooner or later. We HAVE to stop raising taxes and we therefore must reduce spending by an order of magnitude.

Forum List

Back