NY AG Investigation: Why Haven't Wall Streeters Gone to Jail?

Flaylo

Handsome Devil
Feb 10, 2010
In some grass near you
NY AG Investigation: Why Haven't Wall Streeters Gone to Jail? - Yahoo! News

For investigators looking for smoking guns that show Wall Street bankers at the height of the bubble knew the mortgage bonds they were pushing on clients were worthless junk, these emails seem about as good as you can get. And yet, nearly five years later after these emails were written, and months after they became public this year as part of case brought by mortgage insurer Ambac against Bear and J.P. Morgan Chase nothing has happened. Neither Lind nor Smith have been charged with any wrong-doing over the deal, nor has anyone else at Bear, or elsewhere for that matter. It's nearly three years after the financial crisis, and not a single Wall Streeter has been sent to jail for charges related to the mortgage bonds and other financial products that caused hundreds of billions of dollars in loses and nearly brought down the U.S. economy.

Well rightwingers, why do you still bow down and kiss the feet of Wall Streeters?

For investigators looking for smoking guns that show Wall Street bankers at the height of the bubble knew the mortgage bonds they were pushing on clients were worthless junk, these emails seem about as good as you can get. And yet, nearly five years later after these emails were written, and months after they became public this year as part of case brought by mortgage insurer Ambac against Bear and J.P. Morgan Chase nothing has happened. Neither Lind nor Smith have been charged with any wrong-doing over the deal, nor has anyone else at Bear, or elsewhere for that matter. It's nearly three years after the financial crisis, and not a single Wall Streeter has been sent to jail for charges related to the mortgage bonds and other financial products that caused hundreds of billions of dollars in loses and nearly brought down the U.S. economy.

Well rightwingers, why do you still bow down and kiss the feet of Wall Streeters?

What crime was committed?

Really....who REALLY committed the crime...

The person who sold the mortgage....

OR...

The person who signed an affidavit stating that the information they claimed on their mortgage application was the truth to the best of their knowledge....knowing dam well that they were lying about their income.

i think the question is a bit more complicated than simple politics and who butters the bread. I'll be the first to lineup any Wall Street folks who committed fraud or violated the public trust.

However...if the complaint is that firms sold worthless MBS's and CDO's to other firms, that in-and-of itself is not illegal by any means. It would only be a problem if they sold assets without proper disclosure. We don't have laws to protect Wall Street firms from their own stupidity.

OR...

The person who signed an affidavit stating that the information they claimed on their mortgage application was the truth to the best of their knowledge....knowing dam well that they were lying about their income.

With all apologies to my cousin and brother, you prove exactly why Marines are dickheads, nobodt willfully signs anything that they know to be fraudulent.

i think the question is a bit more complicated than simple politics and who butters the bread. I'll be the first to lineup any Wall Street folks who committed fraud or violated the public trust.

However...if the complaint is that firms sold worthless MBS's and CDO's to other firms, that in-and-of itself is not illegal by any means. It would only be a problem if they sold assets without proper disclosure. We don't have laws to protect Wall Street firms from their own stupidity.

I, personally, lost money due to the mortgage meltdown.
I blame no one but myself. I invested with the hopes my money would make easy money for me. If I had won the gamble, I would say "good call"....and if I lost, I would say "bad call"

Bad call.

And I again say...the real law breakers were the ones who lied on their mortgage applications. When you sign an app there is a disclaimer that says when you sign it you are attesting to the validity of the information to the best opf your knowledge.

The NINJA loans opened the door to the consumer to act illegally and unethically....if anyone actually broke a law...it was the ones that lied when they signed the affidavit.

OR...

With all apologies to my cousin and brother, you prove exactly why Marines are dickheads, nobodt willfully signs anything that they know to be fraudulent.

Are you sertious?
Do you not know what took place with the mortgage crisis?

PEOPLE TOOK LOANS THAT THEY COULD NOT AFFORD.

EVERY LOAN WAS REVIEWED BY AN UNDERWRITER AND THE APPROVAL WAS BASED ON THE INFORMATION ON THE APPLICATION.

IT WAS FOUND THAT THOSE THAT KNEW THEIR INCOME AND JOB HISTORY WAS NOT GOING TO BE CHECKED INTO, LIED IN AN EFFORT TO GET THE LOAN.

THEY BELIEVED THAT WHEN THE ARM EXPIRED THEY WOULD BE ABLE TO REFINANCE MAKING THE LAOI AFFORDABLE FOR THEM SO THEY WERE NOT CONCERNED.

You just showed how naive you are as to what happened.

I suggest you retract your insult to the marines.

The Powers that be do not want to spend the Holidays visiting their relatives in jail, that's why.

When is the AG going to focus on the Carbon Credit Scheme? ;) When Hell freezes over???

I blame no one but myself. I invested with the hopes my money would make easy money for me. If I had won the gamble, I would say "good call"....and if I lost, I would say "bad call"

Bad call.

And I again say...the real law breakers were the ones who lied on their mortgage applications. When you sign an app there is a disclaimer that says when you sign it you are attesting to the validity of the information to the best opf your knowledge.

The NINJA loans opened the door to the consumer to act illegally and unethically....if anyone actually broke a law...it was the ones that lied when they signed the affidavit.

Some of you bought a brandnew car off the lot that turns out to be a lemon you blame yourself for that and excuse the treachery of those that sold it to you? Retarded, there are laws against it but you wouldn't use them.

Bad call.

Some of you bought a brandnew car off the lot that turns out to be a lemon you blame yourself for that and excuse the treachery of those that sold it to you? Retarded, there are laws against it but you wouldn't use them.

if you are going to use an analogy, use one that makes sense.

Buying a product as a consumer is not the same as "investing" with the hopes your money will make money for you.

OR...

Are you sertious?

EVERY LOAN WAS REVIEWED BY AN UNDERWRITER AND THE APPROVAL WAS BASED ON THE INFORMATION ON THE APPLICATION.

IT WAS FOUND THAT THOSE THAT KNEW THEIR INCOME AND JOB HISTORY WAS NOT GOING TO BE CHECKED INTO, LIED IN AN EFFORT TO GET THE LOAN.

THEY BELIEVED THAT WHEN THE ARM EXPIRED THEY WOULD BE ABLE TO REFINANCE MAKING THE LAOI AFFORDABLE FOR THEM SO THEY WERE NOT CONCERNED.

No, banks gave subprime loans to people with bad credit which isn't the same as giving loans to people who can't afford them you dickhead and its still on lenders. The housing bubble debacle is proof that supply side economics is bullshit.

What does being a "rightwinger" have to do with it, Flay?

The self-proclaiming conservatives on this board are no less victimized by this ongoing crime than you or I are.

And in some cases I don't doubt they were actually much more aggreieved since many of these people play the market.

I think there WAS FRAUD in many cases...mostly having to do with risk accessment and bonds ratings.

And the very GRIFTERS who committed most of these swindles are still running the firms and giving themselves bonuses with the money the taxpayers gave them, too.

Are you sertious?

No, banks gave subprime loans to people with bad credit which isn't the same as giving loans to people who can't afford them you dickhead and its still on lenders. The housing bubble debacle is proof that supply side economics is bullshit.

The Housing Bubble Crisis was proof of heavy Government Regulation, failed policies, and corruption, best to leave it at that.

This argument about Free Market being bad is bullshit. I'll take trading in paper over trading in bullets and Tyranny any day. ;) Nice spin though Comrade.

Are you sertious?

You are wrong.

They denied loans to those with bad credit.

They gave loans to people who were unable to afford them. They lowered the income standards for loans and they also lowered the "backgoruind check" standards...not asking for proof of income.

It was believed by all that they will be able to afford the low ARM rate offered...and when the prime+ rate kicked in, they would be able to refinance.

Unfortunately, they were not able to refiannce bnecuase so many started to default on their loans and it flooded the market.....forcing people into "negative equity" positions with their proerties....so it snowballed.

SO calling me a dickhead may make you feel good...and I am hapopy for you....but you are debating a toipic you obvipusl;y know nothing about.

Underwriters are independant and they review all data offered to them by the bank and the borrower to make their decision...and they, the underwriter, checks the credit history before giving the thumbs up or down...

Are you sertious?

The Housing Bubble Crisis was proof of heavy Government Regulation, failed policies, and corruption, best to leave it at that.

This argument about Free Market being bad is bullshit. I'll take trading in paper over trading in bullets and Tyranny any day. ;) Nice spin though Comrade.

Fucking strawman, I never said the free market is bad I said supply side, trickle down economic is bad if and when retards don't properly monitor the market with regards to demand and supply. Its total bullshit that too much govt regulation caused the housing bubble, failed policies and corruption I agree with.

Bad call.

I believe the people offering the loans and the people who signed them are equally culpable but...

The people offering the loans had a financial incentive in convincing applicants that they could lie on the application - and some clearly did so (and a few of those mortgage folks are where they belong, in jail.)

Are you sertious?

You are wrong.

They denied loans to those with bad credit.

Bullshit, they gave people subprime loans if they had bad credit because they were greedy and thought about the interest they could make.

They gave loans to people who were unable to afford them. They lowered the income standards for loans and they also lowered the "backgoruind check" standards...not asking for proof of income.

Nobody can force a bank to give anyone a bad loan or a loan at all, more bullshit.

It was believed by all that they will be able to afford the low ARM rate offered...and when the prime+ rate kicked in, they would be able to refinance.

Correction they changed their rates from what was signed and agreed upon to make more money, greed.

Forum List

Back