Nvidea !!!

I like Torvalds. He's basically one of those people you really admire because he didn't make a kabillion dollars on a useful product and basically gave it away out of love of humanity and being productive.

He's like the Jonas Salk of tech.

That's interesting, NVIDIA is the only graphics card I've never had an issue with running Linux, Radeon on the other hand.............

Ahhhh, did a little research, Torvalds (and some other Linux purists) wants NVidia to hand over all their graphics internals to the Linux community, NVidia prefers to keep their internals proprietary. Given what I've discovered, I'll say, Fuck you Linus Torvalds!
:fu:

Interesting...like Ringel I am confused..I have never had a problem with NVidea and any Linux flavor.
Guessing they want the Nvidea driver set to be included in installs rather than having to download the proprietary driver after installation....not a big deal...after installation all you do is click the driver icon and it installs.

Interesting...like Ringel I am confused..I have never had a problem with NVidea and any Linux flavor.
Guessing they want the Nvidea driver set to be included in installs rather than having to download the proprietary driver after installation....not a big deal...after installation all you do is click the driver icon and it installs.

And, if you get lucky, it'll work.
If nVidia's proprietary driver works with your architecture... maybe...
And when linux graphics libraries change, there is no real standard for including nVidia hardware - which makes whole systems either inoperative, or revert back to default (as in, every screen should AT LEAST do this) settings.

I, personally, had a very tough battle to get my 9800GT working with linux. nVidia changed their driver set 3 times, and linux updated 2 full revs before it started to work properly.

nVidia's stance on the issue is "It works fine in Windows"

And, if you get lucky, it'll work.
If nVidia's proprietary driver works with your architecture... maybe...
And when linux graphics libraries change, there is no real standard for including nVidia hardware - which makes whole systems either inoperative, or revert back to default (as in, every screen should AT LEAST do this) settings.

I, personally, had a very tough battle to get my 9800GT working with linux. nVidia changed their driver set 3 times, and linux updated 2 full revs before it started to work properly.

nVidia's stance on the issue is "It works fine in Windows"

You may be right...it is true that I bought systems from Zareason which are designed for Linux...however I also have laptops that I run Linux on...a Dell and an HP.

That's interesting, NVIDIA is the only graphics card I've never had an issue with running Linux, Radeon on the other hand.............

Lol, yeah. I love my GTX 560 2GB.

I had an Radeon and ended up having to take it back the next day because I would get the blue screen of death because of it and it would say windows prevented the device from doing damage to the hardware. But my Nvidia on the other hand..... 0 PROBLEMS! Even if I O/C it and put it on a setting of more than it can handle, it just goes back to stock settings.

I get about 45-50+ constant FPS on BF3 on ultra resolution for everything at 1440x900 resolution.

vHcrw.jpg

It's a mess because it's a tiny dell that has a few mods.
The PSU came with so many wires, so it's a mess on the inside and I have to leave the side panel off all the time because of the extra heat the PSU and GPU makes. The case is simply too small to handle that.

Lol, yeah. I love my GTX 560 2GB.

I had an Radeon and ended up having to take it back the next day because I would get the blue screen of death because of it and it would say windows prevented the device from doing damage to the hardware. But my Nvidia on the other hand..... 0 PROBLEMS! Even if I O/C it and put it on a setting of more than it can handle, it just goes back to stock settings.

I get about 45-50+ constant FPS on BF3 on ultra resolution for everything at 1440x900 resolution.

vHcrw.jpg

It's a mess because it's a tiny dell that has a few mods.
The PSU came with so many wires, so it's a mess on the inside and I have to leave the side panel off all the time because of the extra heat the PSU and GPU makes. The case is simply too small to handle that.

I run with covers off too... my 9800's gpu temp is usually around 62C using the card in HD mode, but any dust in the fins at all cause that to ramp - at which point, my monitor goes to sleep and I have to reboot again. I always have a can of air at the ready.

I run with covers off too... my 9800's gpu temp is usually around 62C using the card in HD mode, but any dust in the fins at all cause that to ramp - at which point, my monitor goes to sleep and I have to reboot again. I always have a can of air at the ready.

A well designed case directs airflow across critical components. The ideas is to keep the air moving and exchanging so that chipset, hard drives and other passively cooled components are kept cool, The CPU and GPU have their own cooling systems, but the rest of the components do not. By having the side off of the case, you disrupt the forced air flow.

I'm a fanatic, admittedly.

These are my specs;

XCLIO 2000 Black & Titanium Case
KingWin Gold Certified 80+ 1000 Watt PS
ASUS P8P67 Pro Motherboard
Intel Core I7 2600K @ 4.6 gHz
Corsair CWCH70 Hydro Series H70 CPU Liquid Cooler
CORSAIR Vengence 8GB
2 X Diamond Radeon 5870's In Crossfire
OCZ RevoDrive 80 GB PCIE SSD (540 MBps Read)
1TB WD Black Edition SATA 3 + 500 GB WD enhanced 32mb Cache SATA 2
Panasonic DVD
Windows 7 - 64 bit

This is the case involved

images

The front fans draw air in, the top and back exhaust the hot air. This keeps it stable while pushing it to 4.6. While the Vengence series has massive heat sinks, they still need solid airflow to keep them stable at 2100

Last edited:

A well designed case directs airflow across critical components. The ideas is to keep the air moving and exchanging so that chipset, hard drives and other passively cooled components are kept cool, The CPU and GPU have their own cooling systems, but the rest of the components do not. By having the side off of the case, you disrupt the forced air flow.

I'm a fanatic, admittedly.

The front fans draw air in, the top and back exhaust the hot air. This keeps it stable while pushing it to 4.6. While the Vengence series has massive heat sinks, they still need solid airflow to keep them stable at 2100

Maybe my card just has a poor design - maybe it's my HP Pavilion....

Covers on, and I'm in there every other week blowing out the fins and the temp hovers around 66C - dangerously close to safety shut down.
Cover off, and I roll for a few months with a very slow ramp time and a slightly reduced GPU temp.

Incidentally, this wasn't an issue with the OEM video card. The machine came with a nVidia 9600GT which suffered fan failure while I was playing Crysis. Immediate incineration of the GPU, and new scorch marks on the card above it.

Been running cover off ever since... :)

Covers on, and I'm in there every other week blowing out the fins and the temp hovers around 66C - dangerously close to safety shut down.
Cover off, and I roll for a few months with a very slow ramp time and a slightly reduced GPU temp.

Design does make a big difference. The old pot metal cases with only the fan from the PSU were better off in ambient air.

Incidentally, this wasn't an issue with the OEM video card. The machine came with a nVidia 9600GT which suffered fan failure while I was playing Crysis. Immediate incineration of the GPU, and new scorch marks on the card above it.

These are all the reasons that I build my machine from components rather than buying a boxed one. Most of the Dells I've had come in over the last few years have a good case design, but I don't know about HP, don't buy them. The machine I listed is obviously my home machine, but for work I buy Dells mostly. I'll build an engineering work station with a $5,000 Quadro, but for general purposes the Optiplex machines are just fine.

Design does make a big difference. The old pot metal cases with only the fan from the PSU were better off in ambient air.

These are all the reasons that I build my machine from components rather than buying a boxed one. Most of the Dells I've had come in over the last few years have a good case design, but I don't know about HP, don't buy them. The machine I listed is obviously my home machine, but for work I buy Dells mostly. I'll build an engineering work station with a $5,000 Quadro, but for general purposes the Optiplex machines are just fine.

I was originally planning to build my box myself - I had speced out everything and was set to go. Then I bumped into the HP offering which had very nearly everything I wanted and would have put into the box at about $300 less than what I was going to spend on the components.

My only real sacrifice was the HDD, I wanted 1TB and the box came with 750GB.

I was originally planning to build my box myself - I had speced out everything and was set to go. Then I bumped into the HP offering which had very nearly everything I wanted and would have put into the box at about $300 less than what I was going to spend on the components.

I'm going to bet you haven't filled the 750 and it isn't really an issue.

The problem with boxed computers is that though they generally run fine as built, most have the bare minimum to do so.

An example is a guy here are work bought an HP, which ran fine. But he wanted to run Shogun 2, so he picked up a GTX 540 and put it in the box. But the GXT cards from Nvidia require an external PCI power connection, which the HP didn't have. So he had to buy a new power supply just to be able to run the card. Yes, there are adapters that let the Molex connectors work, but the PSU was only 260 watts, not nearly enough to run a higher end card. I talked him into getting at least a bronze certified 600 watt.

Now you make me wonder what the added heat will do to his machine. It did have a rear exhaust fan, but no intake.

I'm going to bet you haven't filled the 750 and it isn't really an issue.

The problem with boxed computers is that though they generally run fine as built, most have the bare minimum to do so.

Heh - actually, the Seagate 750G was about 4/5 full when it started to screech one night. Wiped out Windows and all the neat little pre-packaged no-disk-included utilities. Luckily, I had made the recovery dvr's which saved me from having to buy Vista a 2nd time.

I got my 1TB drive - a nice Western Digital Caviar which is now holding nearly 700G of data partitioned in both Windows and Linux. It's getting close to time to start thinking about getting him a friend.

Heh - actually, the Seagate 750G was about 4/5 full when it started to screech one night. Wiped out Windows and all the neat little pre-packaged no-disk-included utilities. Luckily, I had made the recovery dvr's which saved me from having to buy Vista a 2nd time.

I got my 1TB drive - a nice Western Digital Caviar which is now holding nearly 700G of data partitioned in both Windows and Linux. It's getting close to time to start thinking about getting him a friend.

Good plan.

I've gone to using an SSD for my boot drive. It speeds everything up an astounding amount, particularly when coupled with SATA 3 (6mbps) AND the SSD's have gotten cheap, an 80 like mine is now only about $100 if you watch the sales.

Haven't had any problems with boot speeds, really... but then I only use Windows when I want to watch Netflix in my office. My box takes longer to POST...

The BIOS I have prevents me from booting from the USB port - a minor inconvenience, it would be nice to have a few linux distros preloaded

Forum List

Back