Number of federal workers earning six-figure salaries has exploded during recession

xsited1

Agent P
Sep 15, 2008
Little Rock, AR
For feds, more get 6-figure salaries - USATODAY.com

The number of federal workers earning six-figure salaries has exploded during the recession, according to a USA TODAY analysis of federal salary data.
Federal employees making salaries of $100,000 or more jumped from 14% to 19% of civil servants during the recession's first 18 months — and that's before overtime pay and bonuses are counted.

Federal workers are enjoying an extraordinary boom time — in pay and hiring — during a recession that has cost 7.3 million jobs in the private sector.

The highest-paid federal employees are doing best of all on salary increases. Defense Department civilian employees earning $150,000 or more increased from 1,868 in December 2007 to 10,100 in June 2009, the most recent figure available.

When the recession started, the Transportation Department had only one person earning a salary of $170,000 or more. Eighteen months later, 1,690 employees had salaries above $170,000.

The trend to six-figure salaries is occurring throughout the federal government, in agencies big and small, high-tech and low-tech. The primary cause: substantial pay raises and new salary rules.

Not one person responded? I thought this would get a rise out of people:

When the recession started, the Transportation Department had only one person earning a salary of $170,000 or more. Eighteen months later, 1,690 employees had salaries above $170,000.

I guess everyone expects the government to do this kind of thing. We've become too complacent.

If a person has the skills and knowledge that rate such pay they should get it, now if you find a federally employed janitor making $170,000 I say good for him but there is something wrong with the picture.

do we know who these people are or what their situation is? or do you engage in idle speculation

do we know who these people are or what their situation is? ...

Here's what we know. From the link:

Federal workers are enjoying an extraordinary boom time — in pay and hiring — during a recession that has cost 7.3 million jobs in the private sector.

The private sector provides the money to pay government salaries. Yet the private sector cut 7.3 million jobs during this time. So were is the money coming from?

I bet it's coming from a money tree. Here's an actual picture:

343325_f260.jpg

The private sector provides the money to pay government salaries. Yet the private sector cut 7.3 million jobs during this time. So were is the money coming from?

343325_f260.jpg

that is a very, very good point

btw, do you know who authorized this? aren't these salaries approved by bush?

It would be a good point except for the fact that federal salaries are capped at what a Congressman makes. In 2007, Congressmen were making $170,000 so no federal employee could make more than that. When they raised congressional pay, top federal salaries raised also

Last edited:

343325_f260.jpg

ok im sorry if i didnt explain my question right the first time. what i mean is, what jobs are they doing? were they recent hires from the private sector or have they been with their agency for a long time? how do their salaries compare to similar professions in the private sector... and so many more questions that the author doesnt address. what i mean that this article is a hit job meant to inflame passions and not provide any meaningful information nor analysis.

ok im sorry if i didnt explain my question right the first time. what i mean is, what jobs are they doing? were they recent hires from the private sector or have they been with their agency for a long time? how do their salaries compare to similar professions in the private sector... and so many more questions that the author doesnt address. what i mean that this article is a hit job meant to inflame passions and not provide any meaningful information nor analysis.
The best indicator would be the turnover rate.

What's that rate in gubmint bureaucrat positions, compared to the private sector?

The best indicator would be the turnover rate.

What's that rate in gubmint bureaucrat positions, compared to the private sector?

another good question that the article should answer

Great...So, we have middle manager bureaucrats making what congressweasels are making.

I'm soooo unrelieved. :rolleyes:

These aren't middle manager bureaucrats, they are Senior Executive Series (SES) the Government equivalent of CEOs

Compare the multi-million dollar salaries of CEOs to the $170,000 an SES makes

343325_f260.jpg

Does that matter? from one person making 170K to more than 1500 people making that much!!!! It is a total complete slap in the face to all tax payers.

Great...So, we have middle manager bureaucrats making what congressweasels are making.

These aren't middle manager bureaucrats, they are Senior Executive Series (SES) the Government equivalent of CEOs

do you believe government "CEO"s should make as much as private CEO's? if so, why?

do you believe government "CEO"s should make as much as private CEO's? if so, why?

Merely putting the executive salaries in perspective

Merely putting the executive salaries in perspective
You're doing nothing but being a fucking leftist hack.

Bureaucrats produce ABSOLUTELY NOTHING of increased value for anyone...In fact, they're net drains on productive activities.

There's your perspective, comrade.

Does any management produce anything?

They still get paid the big bucks

Forum List

Back