nukes nuked from stimlus

doeton

Mar 27, 2008
Nuclear 'Pork' Removed from U.S. Stimulus Bill | OneWorld.net (U.S.)

Victory! $50 Billion for Toxic Nuclear Pork Cut from Stimulus Bill
Beyond Nuclear 13 Feb 09
Congressional negotiators in the House of Representatives and the Senate agreed late Wednesday evening (February 11) on a $789 billion stimulus bill but killed an attempt to squander $50 billion on new nuclear reactors.

The nuclear industry has received an estimated $500 billion in public subsidies over the past half century,” Kamps continued. “This monumental waste of money had to end. The nuclear industry cannot solve the climate crisis and fattening the nuclear calf has deprived real energy solutions like renewable energy and energy efficiency programs of essential support for decades.”

Beyond Nuclear 13 Feb 09
Congressional negotiators in the House of Representatives and the Senate agreed late Wednesday evening (February 11) on a $789 billion stimulus bill but killed an attempt to squander $50 billion on new nuclear reactors.

The nuclear industry has received an estimated $500 billion in public subsidies over the past half century,” Kamps continued. “This monumental waste of money had to end. The nuclear industry cannot solve the climate crisis and fattening the nuclear calf has deprived real energy solutions like renewable energy and energy efficiency programs of essential support for decades.”

Squander 50 billion on New Nuclear reactors? Exactly how would be be squandering to invest in carbon neutral nuclear power?

Beyond Nuclear 13 Feb 09

Squander 50 billion on New Nuclear reactors? Exactly how would be be squandering to invest in carbon neutral nuclear power?

People are too stupid to realize how great of a power source it is, instead they want to waste five times the money to support power systems that will also require more space than we have available on land. Hell, we would be better off with batteries and lightning rods than where they are putting the money into.

Nuclear is a great energy source, and with all our advances in it there is almost zero danger (it's less dangerous, polluting, and costly than coal which is where most of our energy comes from still). They even have a disposal station all ready and many plants already built, all they need is the okay to power up. Right now they are sitting there wasting tax money for no reason. The REALLY funny thing, they keep using Chernoble as the excuse for not wanting it, when the plant there was obsolete by even that years standards and was not maintained at all (basically the meltdown was forced by lack of care which all power plant can cause just as much damage if not cared for, even hydro), not to mention that all the plants still in operation since that time have had no problems, and there are hundreds of plants in operation around the world.

Beyond Nuclear 13 Feb 09

This is the IQ of people who want to solve the energy problem. My God! I just can't beleive what i read sometimes.

Beyond Nuclear 13 Feb 09

This is the IQ of people who want to solve the energy problem. My God! I just can't beleive what i read sometimes.

Welcome to the world now run by environuts and fearmongers.

Beyond Nuclear 13 Feb 09

Damn right, It is pretty clear the Dems are much better at fear mongering than Bush ever was. Vote for this Bill or we are all doomed!!!!!

Damn right, It is pretty clear the Dems are much better at fear mongering than Bush ever was. Vote for this Bill or we are all doomed!!!!!

While true, the reps fought against nuclear power by using the fear of Chernoble just as much as the environuts fought against it using the fear of global warming.

While true, the reps fought against nuclear power by using the fear of Chernoble just as much as the environuts fought against it using the fear of global warming.
What's your point, Kitten? Times have changed, and the weak republicans have been removed. Nuclear energy is a clean fuel, and is very safe to use. Look at France, works wonders over there. Chernoble happened a long time ago in Russia of all places.

What's your point, Kitten? Times have changed, and the weak republicans have been removed. Nuclear energy is a clean fuel, and is very safe to use. Look at France, works wonders over there. Chernoble happened a long time ago in Russia of all places.

clean and safe......why would the dems not want it....as for chernoble, anyone been to the soviet union.....it is amazing the place functions at all.....

clean and safe......why would the dems not want it....as for chernoble, anyone been to the soviet union.....it is amazing the place functions at all.....

The real reason Chernoble happened actually, but don't confuse them with facts they may have a meltdown of their own.

Meister, the dems are fighting against nuclear as well, because they are using the fear of pollution from the waste (which is no worse than the pollution from coal plants). Same side of the fight just masking it in different reasons, and both morons for fighting against our best solution to energy.

The real reason Chernoble happened actually, but don't confuse them with facts they may have a meltdown of their own.

Meister, the dems are fighting against nuclear as well, because they are using the fear of pollution from the waste (which is no worse than the pollution from coal plants). Same side of the fight just masking it in different reasons, and both morons for fighting against our best solution to energy.

imho....coal polution is far worse......nuclear waste can be encapsulated and or reused.....they do need to cool the water more before they dump it though.....

imho....coal polution is far worse......nuclear waste can be encapsulated and or reused.....they do need to cool the water more before they dump it though.....

Wait isn't Obama all for Clean Coal Tech now? I could have sworn I saw a TV add where he sung it's praises. How can they be for clean coal but not responsible Nuclear Power.

This is one of the many issues that makes it impossible to understand these people. Nuclear power is literally the only cheap, clean, abundant form of power we have, and they are against it. Makes no sense at all.

Wait isn't Obama all for Clean Coal Tech now? I could have sworn I saw a TV add where he sung it's praises. How can they be for clean coal but not responsible Nuclear Power.

This is one of the many issues that makes it impossible to understand these people. Nuclear power is literally the only cheap, clean, abundant form of power we have, and they are against it. Makes no sense at all.

Exactly.

Nuclear weapons were also struck, but there was "only" 1 billion suggested for that. Not sure why we'd need more don't we have enough to destroy every city in the world still?:lol:

Quoting from the article cited in the OP:

Environmental analyst and long-time leader in the U.S. environmental movement Lester Brown agrees that nuclear power is a risky source of energy that comes with many hidden costs.

Brown, president of the Earth Policy Institute, says the "flawed economics" of nuclear power place unforeseen burdens on taxpayers: the costs related to the construction of nuclear plants, the disposal of nuclear waste, the decommissioning of old plants, and security in case of an accident all contribute to the price the world pays for nuclear power. Wind energy is a more economically sound option, adds Brown.

Specifically, a $1 billion investment in wind energy technologies would produce 3,350 new jobs, with similar results for investments in solar-thermal power plants (2,270 jobs) and solar cell installations (1,480 jobs) on rooftops and other locations, states Brown. Investing in green energy would also help slow the progress of global warming without posing extreme safety concerns to society, notes the eco-expert.

Congress' decision to cut the stimulus money for the nuclear industry translates into a huge success for anti-nuclear groups like NAPF, which has long campaigned "to encourage elected officials to establish policies that will reduce and eliminate the nuclear threat."

"[This is] exciting news," NAPF told its supporters via email Thursday. "This would not have happened without the support and dedication of people like you."

I think Brown overstates the risks and hidden costs and his solution is insufficient. Does he really think that wind and solar can produce all of our energy needs? Some places don't have enough wind/sunshine or space. He didn't mention hydroelectric and tidal energy, but again I think we need to tap into everything we can. The bill called for loan guarantees for nuclear plants. That's not exactly a high-risk venture for the taxpayer.

If we really want to get completely off of coal and oil, we will need to tap into everything we can.

Last edited:
If we had nuclear we wouldn't need anything else, and only a few plants really. That's why it's so much better to utilize it instead of others, and the fact that people who oppose it always forget. Sure, there is a 1 in 100 chance a plant may have a problem large enough to cause some leakage (probably less with the newer technology still coming) but with only a few plants the chances of it occurring in your neighborhood are even less. When they hear the word nuclear all they think about is one disaster in a very poorly maintained plant, many decades ago, in a very poor country that probably shouldn't have tried, using extremely low quality materials ... or bombs. Oil is here to stay until it dries up, coal however should be eliminated, considering the number of mining accidents that still occur each year in spite of improved technology, plus the amount of pollution, and the cost.

I think a greater dependence on nuclear power is in our futures regardless of how we feel about it.

As to a nuclear accident?

That is inevitable.

Oil is here to stay until it dries up, coal however should be eliminated, considering the number of mining accidents that still occur each year in spite of improved technology, plus the amount of pollution, and the cost.

Hm, I'm wondering why you think oil will be used until it is exhausted while coal won't? Both carry environmental costs, and the ideology that leads to coal elimination before exhaustion would seem to do the same to oil. Is it because of military applications? It seems we're close to having a fuel cell car or the like, which would actually increase our electricity needs in lieu of gasoline, but then I'm not sure about alternative energy fighter jets, lol.

Last edited:
Oil is here to stay until it dries up, coal however should be eliminated, considering the number of mining accidents that still occur each year in spite of improved technology, plus the amount of pollution, and the cost.

Hm, I'm wondering why you think oil will be used until it is exhausted while coal won't? Is it because of military applications? It seems we're close to having a fuel cell car or the like, which would actually increase our electricity needs in lieu of gasoline, but then I'm not sure about alternative energy fighter jets, lol.

Didn't say coal won't, just that it shouldn't. Oil however is more limited than coal in reality, however it has far more products which depend on it, not just for fuel. They are working on creating a synthetic gas for our motor needs, which would be cool if they ever figured it out but not holding our breath. The electric engines, worthless still. Not even close to being effective for transportation of any sort. Hybrids actually use just as much gas as a VW bug does, so still not efficient really. I know, the bug is a bad comparison to all the others considering how "low tech" the vehicle is, but I have seen these things work long after other cars would have given out so I like em.

They even have a disposal station all ready and many plants already built, all they need is the okay to power up. Right now they are sitting there wasting tax money for no reason.

ah, there's many plants already built just waiting to be powered up?

really? got a link on that one? more like there were ones started prior to three mile island that got abandoned.

Forum List

Back