tommywho70x

Rookie
Apr 15, 2010

here's a great idea :cool:

May. 4 2010 - 10:04 am | 131,606 views | 2 recommendations | 40 comments
Nuke that slick
By JULIA IOFFE

Underwater nuclear test, 1958.

As BP prepares to lower a four-story, 70-ton dome over the oil gusher under the Gulf of Mexico, the Russians — the world’s biggest oil producers — have some advice for their American counterparts: nuke it.

Komsomoloskaya Pravda, the best-selling Russian daily, reports that in Soviet times such leaks were plugged with controlled nuclear blasts underground. The idea is simple, KP writes: “the underground explosion moves the rock, presses on it, and, in essence, squeezes the well’s channel.”

Yes! It’s so simple, in fact, that the Soviet Union, a major oil exporter, used this method five times to deal with petrocalamities. The first happened in Uzbekistan, on September 30, 1966 with a blast 1.5 times the strength of the Hiroshima bomb and at a depth of 1.5 kilometers. KP also notes that subterranean nuclear blasts were used as much as 169 times in the Soviet Union to accomplish fairly mundane tasks like creating underground storage spaces for gas or building canals.

These kinds of surgical strikes to shut off underground leaks, however, were carried out only five times, with the last one occuring in 1979. And there was only one misfire, near Kharkov, Ukraine, where a nuclear blast was unable to stanch a gas leak.

Happily, with a track record like that, “the chances of failure in the Gulf of Mexico are 20%,” KP writes. “The Americans could certainly risk it.”

via KP.ru, and the inimitable Kevin O’Flynn of The Moscow Times

Yeah , I live @ the beach Im not going to be able to support this idea.
godzilla.jpg

Damn, I thought the thread title said 'Nude That Slick' and was really curious to see where that would lead . . . .

Maybe we should have a contest for the most incredibly dumb way to deal with the issue.

Of course, topping this one will be very

very

very

very

very

very hard.

• Banned
the article was actually serious and claimed that the soviets used nukes for several "petrodisasters".

what the nice blogger missed was that though successful five of six times, they still haven't figured out how to put out the fire from the one that didn't work.

Maybe we should have a contest for the most incredibly dumb way to deal with the issue.

very

very

very

very

very hard.

Since I wouldn't trust BP or any of the others who continue to be blameless :confused: with an 80% chance it would work, we could always hire the experts--the Russians. But they may decide to take out Texas and Florida too as long as they're at it.

Nuke that slick
By JULIA IOFFE

As BP prepares to lower a four-story, 70-ton dome over the oil gusher under the Gulf of Mexico, the Russians — the world’s biggest oil producers — have some advice for their American counterparts: nuke it.

Komsomoloskaya Pravda, the best-selling Russian daily, reports that in Soviet times such leaks were plugged with controlled nuclear blasts underground. The idea is simple, KP writes: “the underground explosion moves the rock, presses on it, and, in essence, squeezes the well’s channel.”

Yes! It’s so simple, in fact, that the Soviet Union, a major oil exporter, used this method five times to deal with petrocalamities. The first happened in Uzbekistan, on September 30, 1966 with a blast 1.5 times the strength of the Hiroshima bomb and at a depth of 1.5 kilometers. KP also notes that subterranean nuclear blasts were used as much as 169 times in the Soviet Union to accomplish fairly mundane tasks like creating underground storage spaces for gas or building canals.

These kinds of surgical strikes to shut off underground leaks, however, were carried out only five times, with the last one occuring in 1979. And there was only one misfire, near Kharkov, Ukraine, where a nuclear blast was unable to stanch a gas leak.

Happily, with a track record like that, “the chances of failure in the Gulf of Mexico are 20%,” KP writes. “The Americans could certainly risk it.”

Does anybody else have a feeling that this might be why America is currently the LONE superpower of the world?

Nuke that slick
By JULIA IOFFE

I already proposed this idea:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/2273962-post89.html

:cool:

very

very

very

very

very hard.

Actually, It was reported today that some dumb ass suggested that they do absolutely nothing, just let the Ocean take care of itself. I think that tops this one. Not by much though. ~BH

And I thought your post said Nude Grace Slick and I was about to throw up

GraceSlick2008.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

She (and Jefferson Airplane) were one of the greatest of the rock genre of the 70's. What do you think Lady Gaga will look like in 30+ years? Still like this?

heartbeats.jpg

You're comparing Jefferson Airplane with Lady Gag-Me? Maggie, please.

As to SP's comment, which made me laugh, and was in response and reference to my comment?

How to Have a Sense of Humor - wikiHow

Last edited:

She (and Jefferson Airplane) were one of the greatest of the rock genre of the 70's. What do you think Lady Gaga will look like in 30+ years? Still like this?

heartbeats.jpg

As to SP's comment, which made me laugh, and was in response and reference to my comment?

I know it wasn't you who posted the pic of Grace Slick, but the comment was that he almost threw up. Why? Because she's old now? Like people don't get old...the stupidity of that is what always pisses me off.

That aside, I happen to think Lady Gaga is one of the best talents today. She's off the wall with her getups, but so was Grace Slick. That doesn't deter from the music, however.

heartbeats.jpg

I know it wasn't you who posted the pic of Grace Slick, but the comment was that he almost threw up. Why? Because she's old now? Like people don't get old...the stupidity of that is what always pisses me off.

That aside, I happen to think Lady Gaga is one of the best talents today. She's off the wall with her getups, but so was Grace Slick. That doesn't deter from the music, however.
:offtopic:

heartbeats.jpg

Jesus Christ Mags.. it was meant purely to be a funny... a ha-ha.. a knee slapper.. to bring a smirk... considering Zoom made a funny by changing 1 word, I changed 1 additional word to keep the funny pattern going...

:rolleyes:

Jesus Christ Mags.. it was meant purely to be a funny... a ha-ha.. a knee slapper.. to bring a smirk... considering Zoom made a funny by changing 1 word, I changed 1 additional word to keep the funny pattern going...

:rolleyes:

:offtopic: maybe we should change the thread title to nuke that aging rock star?

Forum List

Back