Nucular or Nuculer?

musicman said:
I met Barry Sadler, in Nashville, in 1984. I just looked up his bio on Yahoo; "an interesting character who led an interesting life" would be putting it mildly!

I personally feel he got a bad rap latter in life...thanks to the liberal control of the news media...sure he had issues as we all do...he was a true "Green Berret" though...even if his life after service took a downhill turn!

no1tovote4 said:
Because I am a Navy guy. Geesh!
So was my stepdad...Navy Commander and pilot..my brother went into the AF and I the Army...if that tells ya anything....lol!

no1tovote4 said:
Because I am a Navy guy. Geesh!

you did not take my pervious comment as a cut...I just meant it as competition...I repect all branches of the service...my stepdad just happened to be in the Navy..my bio dad was excluded from service becaue he had asthma and was 4H...but he did work on military aircraft...developing hydralic systems on aircraft...he went on after the war(WWII) to work for Rocketdyne in Chatsworth,Ca....working on the NASA programs...so all did their parts....my brother called me a "Groundpounder" and I called him a "Wimp" AF guy.....just in jest mind ya....hope you weren't offended....just having fun and competition here...hope ya see where I was comming from! :salute:

archangel said:
you did not take my pervious comment as a cut...I just meant it as competition...I repect all branches of the service...my stepdad just happened to be in the Navy..my bio dad was excluded from service becaue he had asthma and was 4H...but he did work on military aircraft...developing hydralic systems on aircraft...he went on after the war(WWII) to work for Rocketdyne in Chatsworth,Ca....working on the NASA programs...so all did their parts....my brother called me a "Groundpounder" and I called him a "Wimp" AF guy.....just in jest mind ya....hope you weren't offended....just having fun and competition here...hope ya see where I was comming from! :salute:

Offended? I believe that I have been offended maybe twice in my life. No, I took it in the "fun" way and answered in kind....

:beer:

archangel said:
I take notice to that....why not Army Rangers included...geez...after all they...both the Seals and Army Rangers... got their start in WWII...The Seals were called "Frogmen" and Rangers were Rangers....now called Green Berret's....by the way I like the song "Ballad of the Green Berret's" by Barry Sadler....at any rate all special op's rock! :blowup:
Rangers are Rangers and Green Berets are Green Berets... totally different.

freeandfun1 said:
Rangers are Rangers and Green Berets are Green Berets... totally different.

ya gotta finish airborne then ranger school before ya become a "Green Berret"
unless something changed after I got out back in 1968...that is not to say airborne or rangers are any less than a green berret..nowdays they give berrets to everyone...black for Armor,red for(?) and the old Green... I never made it to the Green...but sure do respect those that did! :cry:

ps: was air cav though!

nucular said:
He is the President. Please tell me whether or not he should be able to speak English. If not, cool, that's democracy. I am not disagreeing with anyone on this list.

But then the Republicans should drop all of their "English Only" initiatives. Right?

Did I miss something, or did you just ignore my question? Just whereabouts might you be from?

There's nowhere in this Nation one does not possess a uniqueness in the way they speak.

archangel said:
ya gotta finish airborne then ranger school before ya become a "Green Berret" unless something changed after I got out back in 1968...that is not to say airborne or rangers are any less than a green berret..nowdays they give berrets to everyone...black for Armor,red for(?) and the old Green... I never made it to the Green...but sure do respect those that did! :cry:

ps: was air cav though!

Things have changed. Ranger school now has nothing to do with SF (other than rangers are now part of the Special Operations Command). I went through the 21 day Special Forces Pre-Qualification course at Ft. Bragg in 1989. It was the toughest 21 days of my life. I bet I didn't get more than 3 - 4 per hours of sleep per night, on average, the entire 21 days - if that. Out of the nearly 300 soldiers that started the the pre-qual course, only 29 of us finished and only 14 were chosen to go on to the Q-course (and I was one of the chosen whether you want to believe it or not). I admit though, after that 21 days, I decided I didn't have what it takes to be a Green Beret and I dropped out. Me and two other guys. For me, I was newly married and had just come off three years in Korea. I was going to have to go to Benning for Airborne school and then to the Q-course so I would have been away from my wife for nearly a year before I had to go to language school and communications school (that is what they said I tested best for). That's not good for newlyweds and I just didn't want to do it. I realized I was NOT SF material.

Anyhow, I ended up spending six months at Bragg working in the 1st SF Training Brigade mostly pulling CQ. Believe me, it sucked being a "leg" at an airborne base.... Since I was there so long, I got to know a lot of the SF instructors. Some of the guys had been in El Salvador when that SF unit got caught up in that hotel back in the 80's and a few of em got killed... do you remember that??

Anyway, I worked with them quite a bit running errands, etc. and we talked a lot. I asked them who made it through the 21 days but didn't get selected the most... regular line unit guys or Rangers and without a doubt, they all said Rangers. Not because the Rangers weren't tough, not because they couldn't handle the load, but because they didn't know how to work as a team AND individually. In SF you have to be able to do both. They had more washouts come from Ranger units than any other units because of that. Rangers train to work as a unit whereas in SF, you have to be able to work as a unit, but be responsible for individual tasks.

As for the berets...

Everybody now wears black berets except SF (green), Rangers (tan) and airborne (maroon).

freeandfun1 said:
Things have changed. Ranger school now has nothing to do with SF (other than rangers are now part of the Special Operations Command). I went through the 21 day Special Forces Pre-Qualification course at Ft. Bragg in 1989. It was the toughest 21 days of my life. I bet I didn't get more than 3 - 4 per hours of sleep per night, on average, the entire 21 days. If that. I will admit, after the 21 days, I decided I didn't have what it takes to be a Green Beret and I dropped out so I ended up spending six months at Bragg working in the 1st SF Training Brigade. Mostly pulling CQ. It sucked being a "leg" at an airborne base.... Since I was there so long, I got to know a lot of the SF instructors. Some of the guys had been in El Salvador when that SF unit got caught up in that hotel back in the 80's and a few of em got killed... do you remember that??

Anyway, I worked with them quite a bit running errands, etc. I asked em who made the worst SF guys and without a doubt, they all said Rangers. Not because the Rangers weren't tough, not because they couldn't handle the load, but because they didn't know how to work as a team AND individually. In SF you have to be able to do both. They had more washouts come from Ranger units than any other units because of that. Rangers train to work as a unit whereas in SF, you have to be able to work as a unit, but be responsible for individual tasks.

As for the berets...

Everybody now wears black berets except SF (green), Rangers (tan) and airborne (maroon).

Everyone now wears Black(?)...damn that was originally for Armor...tank crews...along with zip boots.....Rangers were tan ...and maroon for airborne that I do remember...but when I was in ya had to go to airborne then complete Ranger school before you could put in for SF school...maroon and tan berrets were not awarded though... just a color designation...but armor was allowed to wear zip boots and scarfs but no berrets...as was airborne allowed to wear boots tucked in with scarfs....rangers just had the ranger patch..which was cool...well gotta run...getting hungry...bbl!

Forum List

Back