Nuclear Weapons Question

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Big Black Dog, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    The United States is the only country in the entire world that has ever used a nuclear weapon in the time of war. No other country on the face of the Earth has done this. A great many countries have nuclear weapons in their war chests and have had them for years. Other countries are in the process of trying to develop nuclear weapons under the claims of only to use nuclear power in a peaceful way such as to produce electricity. Here is the question about nuclear weapons and it is one that I have always wondered about since childhood. Except for trying to be the "school ground bully", what right does the United States have to tell any other country that they can, or cannot, possess nuclear weapons? Is it honestly, really any of our business what another country does with their resources? Just because we have been the only country to have used nuclear weapons in a war, in my opinion, doesn't make us as a country the "permission grantor" for another country - good or bad - to have nuclear weapons. What are your views on this subject? I would appreciate your opinion on this subject.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  2. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,701
    It's not just the USA who has that right, it is all the signatory states of the NPT.

The text of the NPT is here (it's not long): NPT

The NPT allows for the research and development of nuclear energy and other radioactive (ionizing) material for civilian/peaceful purposes (imaging, for example).

It is in the best interest of all nations of the world to prevent proliferation of nuclear weapons. The 185 signatory states of the NPT agree.

3. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    In my opinion, the fact that the United States is the only nation to date that has used nuclear weapons is irrelevant to whether or not nations like Iran should be allowed to possess them today. We built some of the first nuclear weapons, we used them - not fully aware of the size and scope of their devastation - to end a violent war and, many would argue, to send a message to our enemies, and then we did not use them again because the knowledge of their existence was deterrent enough for those who might seek to attack us in some sort of large-scale fashion.

I find the "why do we have the right to tell other nations whether or not they can have nukes" argument to have a very childish ring to it. My middle-school students would whine every year about the fact that I was allowed to have a water-bottle on my desk that I could sip from if I needed to during class and they were not permitted to carry water bottles. Each year, I discuss with them the reasons why this is the case 1) Students spilling beverages which would a) cause a mess and b) distract from learning, 2) Water fights in the halls 3) students bringing alcoholic beverages in and pretend its waters, etc. etc. but in the end...many still fell back on, "But YOU have a water bottle and we can't...thats not FAIR!!!" And I inevitably would fall back on the same response..."You absolutely CAN have a waterbottle in this classroom...all you have to do is graduate highschool, go to college, get a teaching degree, and get hired by this school district...then you will have the same rights and responsibilities that I have."

The US, and other nations on the UN security council have the right to say "no" to other nation's desire for nukes because we are the ones who are so often called to be the policemen in world. We have had nukes in times when we could have conceivably used them (i.e. The Cold War) and did not, therefore showing that we are not "trigger happy", and we are not out shouting things like we want to push other nations into the sea...perhaps we should say, "Sure, Iran...you can have a nuke...all you have to do is grow up, stop talking about wanting to destroy other nations because they don't have the same religious beliefs you do, etc. etc. etc. and then you can have a nuke like France."

Is it fair? Maybe not. But are you really prepared to allow crazy dictators that speak openly about their desire to destroy other nations build and possess nukes all so you can sleep better at night 'cause you're fair?!?! I think sometimes you just have to be a grown-up and say, "No, its not fair. No, you still can't have one."

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. Polk

Polk Classic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +569
    What about states who did not sign? What about states who signed, but later withdrew their signature?

I agree, but that's not really the question being asked.

5. Polk

Polk Classic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +569
    While I think their use was the right move, it's pretty naive to claim we didn't know the scale of the destruction they would cause.

6. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,701
    Upon inspection of the NPT you will find clear protocol for withdrawal. The only state to withdraw is North Korea and they have yet to meet the requirements of that withdrawal.

There are only a handful of states who have not signed - India, Pakistan, Israel, just off the top of my head. NK is in the process of getting out. The entire world, except for a few have signed the NPT.

Sure it is. If it's in the best interest of the entire world, then that, combined with the NPT gives the USA the right.

7. Polk

Polk Classic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +569
    How would those states fit into your framework?

That's a really slippery slope...

8. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,701
    Why don't you tell me what 'my framework' is, exactly.

The NPT is a confirmation of the best interests of the world in keeping proliferation at zero.

9. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    First we got the bomb, and that was good,
    'Cause we love peace and motherhood.
    Then Russia got the bomb, but that's okay,
    'Cause the balance of power's maintained that way.
    Who's next?

France got the bomb, but don't you grieve,
    'Cause they're on our side (I believe).
    China got the bomb, but have no fears,
    They can't wipe us out for at least five years.
    Who's next?

Then Indonesia claimed that they
    Were gonna get one any day.
    South Africa wants two, that's right:
    One for the black and one for the white.
    Who's next?

Egypt's gonna get one too,
    Just to use on you know who.
    So Israel's getting tense.
    Wants one in self defense.
    "The Lord's our shepherd," says the psalm,
    But just in case, we better get a bomb.
    Who's next?

Luxembourg is next to go,
    And (who knows?) maybe Monaco.
    We'll try to stay serene and calm
    When Alabama gets the bomb.

Tom Lehrer - Who's next? Lyrics

10. Polk

Polk Classic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +569
    That we have the obligation to enforce the NPT because it's been generally agreed upon internationally.

I agree, but the entire point is that it's a very weak argument.