Nuance and Iran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
I have to say, I've mixed feelings on this carrot and carrot approach. Lots of links:

http://instapundit.com/archives/030697.php

June 02, 2006

GEORGE BUSH, COLD-WAR LIBERAL: It seems to me that this is the kind of diplomacy that Peter Beinart is calling for from liberals:

The United States and five other major world powers agreed Thursday to offer Iran a broad new collection of rewards if it halts its drive to master nuclear technology, but they threatened "further steps in the Security Council" if Iran refuses.

The agreement, announced here by British Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett following extended talks, brings general unity to the countries' approach to Iran after months of discord, diplomats said. It is intended to sharpen the choice facing Iran, giving it a clear reason to opt for cooperation over confrontation on its nuclear program.

The question is, will it work? And if so, would it work as well if it weren't for the presence of U.S. troops on both sides of Iran?

And though the Iraq war is held out as a case of aggressive unilateral warmongering, the fact is that it was the slowest "rush to war" in history, as the Bush Administration made (to my mind excessive) efforts to keep the U.N. relevant. And it's interesting that Beinart holds up Kosovo as an example of war done right when it had far less U.N. sanction than the Iraq invasion -- Wesley Clark, remember, said that the Kosovo bombing was "technically illegal."

At any rate, it seems clear that the Bush Administration's approach is far more nuanced than his critics credit. Whether it will be effective is another story.

UPDATE: Bush is certainly more diplomatic than this! If only they'd talk this tough about, you know, terrorists.
posted at 09:04 AM by Glenn Reynolds

Muslims are noahide compliant. In the NWO they will be the army of god used to slay chritian idolatry. Just my opinion. Please don't crucify me. And I can give you links.

rtwngAvngr said:
Muslims are noahide compliant. In the NWO they will be the army of god used to slay chritian idolatry. Just my opinion. Please don't crucify me. And I can give you links.

Are we Athiests safe from this war?:D

roomy said:
Are we Athiests safe from this war?:D

no. You're not. Because you don't believe in the god of abraham(supposedly), althought the talmudic endgame being enacted now is actually a tribute to satan.

This thread is NOT about the God of Abraham, Jews, atheists, conspiracy theories...

There's threads on those topics in religion.

The Iraq war is just to dissipate american strength, grind up christians, and secure israel. There's nothing in it for the u.s. or very little.

rtwngAvngr said:
The Iraq war is just to dissipate american strength, grind up christians, and secure israel. There's nothing in it for the u.s. or very little.

Sorta---we fight Israeli and American enemies by just using american troops any money. Why do they get billions of military money when they don't fight.

dilloduck said:
Sorta---we fight Israeli and American enemies by just using american troops any money. Why do they get billions of military money when they don't fight.

Extortion? Blackmail? Payoffs? Browbeating? Guilt-tripping? All of the above?

rtwngAvngr said:
Extortion? Blackmail? Payoffs? Browbeating? Guilt-tripping? All of the above?

No idea. Havent heard an answer. Americans give Israelis roughly $500 EACH every year. What in the hell are they doing with it ?

http://aipac.org/Action1.cfm
President Bush’s fiscal year 2007 budget request to Congress contains $2.46 billion in aid to Israel, including $2.34 billion in military aid and $120 million in economic assistance. An additional $40 million is requested to assist Israeli absorption of refugees. In the coming weeks, both the House and Senate will consider U.S. assistance to Israel as part of the annual foreign aid appropriations process. Please urge your Senators and Representatives to support the full aid package to Israel.

http://thelastbestplace.blogspot.com/2006/05/aipac-update_24.html

Buffett Buys Stake in Israeli Economy

In a sign of the strength of Israel's economy, U.S. investment magnate Warren Buffett—the world's second-richest man—recently purchased an 80 percent stake in Iscar, an Israeli metalwork company based in the Galilee, The New York Times reported. "I plan further acquisitions of Israeli companies in the future," Buffett said recently. "I believe in the Israeli market and the Israeli economy and I think now is a good time to invest here."The Israeli economy has recently seen a tremendous upsurge—it has grown at an annual rate of about 4 to 5 percent over the last several years and jumped 6.6 percent in the first quarter of 2006—after experiencing rough times during the wave of Palestinian terrorism that began in 2000

dilloduck said:
No idea. Havent heard an answer. Americans give Israelis roughly $500 EACH every year. What in the hell are they doing with it ?

http://aipac.org/Action1.cfm

http://thelastbestplace.blogspot.com/2006/05/aipac-update_24.html

Buffett Buys Stake in Israeli Economy

In a sign of the strength of Israel's economy, U.S. investment magnate Warren Buffett—the world's second-richest man—recently purchased an 80 percent stake in Iscar, an Israeli metalwork company based in the Galilee, The New York Times reported. "I plan further acquisitions of Israeli companies in the future," Buffett said recently. "I believe in the Israeli market and the Israeli economy and I think now is a good time to invest here."The Israeli economy has recently seen a tremendous upsurge—it has grown at an annual rate of about 4 to 5 percent over the last several years and jumped 6.6 percent in the first quarter of 2006—after experiencing rough times during the wave of Palestinian terrorism that began in 2000
Closing hijacked thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back