NTSB calls for blanket ban on cell phones in big rigs~

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
I think it is abominable that professional drivers don't mind putting other drivers at risk!

SHALL COUNTY, Ky. — Truck drivers say they need them to talk to their families, keep in touch with companies and stay safe. So, they can't believe the government wants to ban all cell phone usage in big rigs.

It's a real issue that has the entire truck-driving community in an uproar.

This is in reaction to the announcement that a trucker texting and talking on a cell phone caused a deadly accident on Kentucky's I-65 near Munfordville last year.

NTSB calls for blanket ban on cell phones in big rigs | WPSD Local 6 - News, Sports, Weather - Paducah KY | Local

There are already bans on texting and using the cell phone while driving, why ban the, completely?

Talking on the phone isn't illegal, but texting is in many states.

Why ban them? Just push for all 50 states to have anti-texting laws.

I think it is abominable that professional drivers don't mind putting other drivers at risk!

SHALL COUNTY, Ky. — Truck drivers say they need them to talk to their families, keep in touch with companies and stay safe. So, they can't believe the government wants to ban all cell phone usage in big rigs.

It's a real issue that has the entire truck-driving community in an uproar.

This is in reaction to the announcement that a trucker texting and talking on a cell phone caused a deadly accident on Kentucky's I-65 near Munfordville last year.

NTSB calls for blanket ban on cell phones in big rigs | WPSD Local 6 - News, Sports, Weather - Paducah KY | Local
Do you feel the same way about everybody that is driving?

Drivers have talked on CB's for decades. Whats the real difference between that and talking on a cell phone.

I'm good with the anti-texting thing. I think that should be illegal in all 50 states. But talking? Nah.

Drivers have talked on CB's for decades. Whats the real difference between that and talking on a cell phone.

I'm good with the anti-texting thing. I think that should be illegal in all 50 states. But talking? Nah.

Just like when normal car drivers talk on the phone... It ain't the talking, it's the dialing.

Which is why I think hands-free requirements are bunk.

Just like when normal car drivers talk on the phone... It ain't the talking, it's the dialing.

I have one touch dialing on my phone.

There's also voice dialing.

Mine has it too, I think most new phones do.

In any event, imo the hands free device doesn't help. It's not the act of holding the phone to your ear. I don't actually know anyone who drives with 2 hands anyway, even when they're not on the phone.

edit: of course, all big rigs have manual transmissions... Somethin to think about.

Last edited:

In any event, imo the hands free device doesn't help. It's not the act of holding the phone to your ear. I don't actually know anyone who drives with 2 hands anyway, even when they're not on the phone.

edit: of course, all big rigs have manual transmissions... Somethin to think about.

But dialing doesn't pull your eyes off the road any more than changing a station on the radio a few times, changing the CB settings, adjusting a mirror....

But dialing doesn't pull your eyes off the road any more than changing a station on the radio a few times, changing the CB settings, adjusting a mirror....

I don't know about all that, the stuff you mentioned is mounted just below the windshield in your line of site, and there's only a few buttons to deal with. As opposed to the phone you're staring at it, making sure you pressed the right buttons, etc.

I'd feel better if truckers weren't doing it. :dunno:

I don't know about all that, the stuff you mentioned is mounted just below the windshield in your line of site, and there's only a few buttons to deal with. As opposed to the phone you're staring at it, making sure you pressed the right buttons, etc.

I guess I'm just used to one touch dialing. And voice dialing.

While driving I voice-text now too, which seems redundant to the point of absurdity.

I feel more comfortable with truckers (that drive all the time) doing it than I do with casual drivers (that spend an hour or less behind the wheel on any given day) doing it.
Kinda like I feel more comfortable with soldiers holding firearms more than I do the casual citizen.

While driving I voice-text now too, which seems redundant to the point of absurdity.

I don't voice text, just voice dial.

"Call, wife".

things like that.

I feel more comfortable with truckers (that drive all the time) doing it than I do with casual drivers (that spend an hour or less behind the wheel on any given day) doing it.
Kinda like I feel more comfortable with soldiers holding firearms more than I do the casual citizen.

Yeah but if a casual driver drifts into you, you've got an insurance nightmare and a trip to the body shop on your hands. Big rig, you're almost certainly dead.

"Call, wife".

things like that.

You have an android by any chance? I can now say, for example, "Call target" and it will look up and dial the nearest Target to my location. Wicked cool. "Navigate to" as well.

"Call, wife".

things like that.

You have an android by any chance? I can now say, for example, "Call target" and it will look up and dial the nearest Target to my location. Wicked cool. "Navigate to" as well.

Yeah, i can do that too, but haven't had a need to use it. I'm not in a vehicle for more than 20 minutes at a time. So I just wait until I get somewhere.

Forum List

Back