NRA fighting for right to kill elephants for ivory

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
The NRA Is Quietly Fighting For Your Right To Kill Elephants For Their Ivory

Last year, people around the world watched as a gun lobbyist with his own NRA-sponsored cable TV show stalked a large bull elephant in the African bush, raised his rifle and shot it two times in the face, killing it. The hunter, NRA strategist Tony Makris, and his guide later sipped champagne and relished the "special" act of bringing back the animal's ivory to camp.

The segment was filmed for part of an "Under Wild Skies" show that was later canceled by the NBC Sports Network after international outrage. It served as a graphic reminder that a number of African nations still allow hunters to purchase permits -- some 1,000 of which are issued to Americans every year -- to kill elephants from their ever-dwindling populations, even amid reports that illegal poaching already claims the lives of up to 35,000 African elephants a year. This is allowed for the stated purpose of conservation: The hefty fees paid by these tourists are supposed to go toward efforts to rehabilitate and protect wildlife on these reserves, though critics say the process is marred by corruption and ineffectiveness. More stringent bans were recently enacted in some nations following catastrophic declines of elephant populations.

But this hunting isn't just for sport (and supposed "conservation"). It's also for the elephants' valuable ivory tusks, trophies that American hunters had, until recently, largely been permitted to ship back to the United States for non-commercial purposes. According to U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service data in a recent National Geographic report, several hundred sport-hunted elephant trophies -- including tusks, skins and bones -- have been imported into the U.S. each year over the past decade. While the sale of this ivory is banned, the practice has given rise to a system that allows hunters and poachers to see elephants in much the same way: The bigger the tusks, the better the prize. Language on the websites for Safari Club International, a hunting advocacy group, and other African safari tours both contain language touting elephants that are likely to carry more or "really good ivory."

More + video at link.

Its not just dead children these sick bastards want.

didn't watch the video but legal big game huntin is ok with me Luddley . After the kill is made , distribute the meat , have a barbecue make some biltong and use the ivory . It costs a lot of money to hunt African big game and the money goes to the government coffers .

Last edited:
Educate yourself with Safari Club International.

No way can trophy hunting be justified.

Period.

looks like some African countries that allow LEGAL trophy hunting disagree with you Luddley !!

I have no problem with legal hunting.

I would seem the 35,000 poachers are the real problem here...not the 1,000 legal hunters.

Period.

Because its worse than killing children?

Luddy thinks elephants are worth more than children.

Why?

As I have posted repeatedly, I believe children and animals should be protected against the scum who would harm them.

The real question is, why are you against protecting them? Why do you ALWAYS side with the scum?

looks like some African countries that allow LEGAL trophy hunting disagree with you Luddley !!

Sheesh. You really do need to educate yourself. Its not just African countries.

Unlike the usual RW sheeples, I can think for myself.

Fact is, if it were not NRA, you sheeples would be against trophy hunting for ivory too.

Sheesh. You really do need to educate yourself. Its not just African countries.

Unlike the usual RW sheeples, I can think for myself.

Fact is, if it were not NRA, you sheeples would be against trophy hunting for ivory too.

I am opposed to trophy hunting Luddly...but with legal these legal hunts, nothing goes to waste...the animal is butchered and used to feed local villages.

What a fucking idiot, the NRA doesn't care about being able to shoot elephants, it is about being able to sell legally purchased property.

From the link in your OP.

Any firearm, firearm accessory, or knife that contains ivory, no matter how big or small, would not be able to be sold in the United States, unless it is more than 100 years old. This means if your shotgun has an ivory bead or inlay, your revolver or pistol has ivory grips, your knife has an ivory handle, or if your firearm accessories, such as cleaning tools that contain any ivory, the item would be illegal to sell.

Period.

Why?

As I have posted repeatedly, I believe children and animals should be protected against the scum who would harm them.

The real question is, why are you against protecting them? Why do you ALWAYS side with the scum?

It is you who said, not "just dead children"

The NRA Is Quietly Fighting For Your Right To Kill Elephants For Their Ivory

Last year, people around the world watched as a gun lobbyist with his own NRA-sponsored cable TV show stalked a large bull elephant in the African bush, raised his rifle and shot it two times in the face, killing it. The hunter, NRA strategist Tony Makris, and his guide later sipped champagne and relished the "special" act of bringing back the animal's ivory to camp.

The segment was filmed for part of an "Under Wild Skies" show that was later canceled by the NBC Sports Network after international outrage. It served as a graphic reminder that a number of African nations still allow hunters to purchase permits -- some 1,000 of which are issued to Americans every year -- to kill elephants from their ever-dwindling populations, even amid reports that illegal poaching already claims the lives of up to 35,000 African elephants a year. This is allowed for the stated purpose of conservation: The hefty fees paid by these tourists are supposed to go toward efforts to rehabilitate and protect wildlife on these reserves, though critics say the process is marred by corruption and ineffectiveness. More stringent bans were recently enacted in some nations following catastrophic declines of elephant populations.

But this hunting isn't just for sport (and supposed "conservation"). It's also for the elephants' valuable ivory tusks, trophies that American hunters had, until recently, largely been permitted to ship back to the United States for non-commercial purposes. According to U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service data in a recent National Geographic report, several hundred sport-hunted elephant trophies -- including tusks, skins and bones -- have been imported into the U.S. each year over the past decade. While the sale of this ivory is banned, the practice has given rise to a system that allows hunters and poachers to see elephants in much the same way: The bigger the tusks, the better the prize. Language on the websites for Safari Club International, a hunting advocacy group, and other African safari tours both contain language touting elephants that are likely to carry more or "really good ivory."

More + video at link.

Horse shit
The NRA opposed this because it would restrict the sale of an firearm/knife that had legally purchased ivory used as inlays in stocks, beads on a shotgun etc... unless it was over 100 years old.
NRA-ILA Obama Administration s Proposed Ban on Domestic Sale of Ivory Could Impact Gun Owners

This is a prime example of Hoplophopes not knowing the issue they are discussing. As a side note the majority of US gun owners are not members of the liberal boogyman (NRA)

Period.

Why?
And yet, Luddy is all for abortion.

Go figure......... :cool:

Disgusting that you say human children are the same as elephants.

Or, are you now saying fetuses are aborted and fetuses are the same as elephants.

Which is it?

Either way, its pretty sick stuff.

Forum List

Back