NPR Savages Obamacare

Manonthestreet

Diamond Member
May 20, 2014
The Affordable Care Act kept profit margins in check by requiring companies to use at least 80 percent of the premiums for medical care. That's good in theory, but it actually contributes to rising health care costs. If the insurance company has accurately built high costs into the premium, it can make more money. Here's how: Let's say administrative expenses eat up about 17 percent of each premium dollar and around 3 percent is profit. Making a 3 percent profit is better if the company spends more.

It's as if a mom told her son he could have 3 percent of a bowl of ice cream. A clever child would say, "Make it a bigger bowl." Why Your Health Insurer Doesn't Care About Your Big Bills

I know this happened to me on my ankle surgery. Half hr at the most to stick one pin in. cost me 20 grand just for the room.

The Affordable Care Act kept profit margins in check by requiring companies to use at least 80 percent of the premiums for medical care. That's good in theory, but it actually contributes to rising health care costs. If the insurance company has accurately built high costs into the premium, it can make more money. Here's how: Let's say administrative expenses eat up about 17 percent of each premium dollar and around 3 percent is profit. Making a 3 percent profit is better if the company spends more.

It's as if a mom told her son he could have 3 percent of a bowl of ice cream. A clever child would say, "Make it a bigger bowl." Why Your Health Insurer Doesn't Care About Your Big Bills

I know this happened to me on my ankle surgery. Half hr at the most to stick one pin in. cost me 20 grand just for the room.

Medical saving accounts, get the government out of the insurance business

Government out? How's that gonna help?

We need caps on prices.

Make them publish their prices just like every other business has to so they cant pull it out of their ass. Price fixing is illegal...prosecute the lot of em.

I had an old head tell me prices we fine until the govt got involved. Which, makes sense. The govt fucks up everything.
I have read that prices were even lower before health insurance.

NPR "savaged" ACA because the RIGHT does its best to cripple it, and the LEFT did not go far enough in the beginning to strengthen it.

As long as drug prices and medical costs keep going up your premiums will keep going up regardless of obamacare. Control those prices and you might see smaller increases.

As long as drug prices and medical costs keep going up your premiums will keep going up regardless of obamacare. Control those prices and you might see smaller increases.
Price controls always result in opposite.....Nixon gave you examples of that....try to learn from reality

We need caps on prices.

Best way to cap prices is to have as many people paying out of pocket as possible. It's even worth ending Medicare/caid and use that $ to fund MSA and insurance policies.

Prices will plummet like Amazon selling books

Price controls always result in opposite.....Nixon gave you examples of that....try to learn from reality
Your opinion is without factual, objective evidence! Why? None supports your point.

Your opinion is without factual, objective evidence! Why? None supports your point.
Really...what happened to beef prices under price controls?

Really...what happened to beef prices under price controls?
That is ONE supposed example.

Can you prove it? If you can, I will point out you have one HASTY GENERALIZATION and ask you for a dozen factually and objectively examples in other areas of production and services.

I think you better do a little research on what has been the driving force health insurance premium's in the last 20 or so years and then get back to me with your bs. You need more than a dose of reality.

We need caps on prices.

Best way to cap prices is to have as many people paying out of pocket as possible. It's even worth ending Medicare/caid and use that $ to fund MSA and insurance policies.

Prices will plummet like Amazon selling books

There were MSA's before what we have now HSA's, how many take advantage?

Agreed.

We need to split health spending into two categories: real catastrophic care (with insurance coverage) and routine health expenses (dr. visits, meds, tests, etc.).

What we have now is a Frankenstein monster combining both, which results in exorbitant costs for routine care to cover the bureaucratic overhead.

So, two parts:

- Tax exempt HSAs to cover routine care and insurance premiums.

- Catastrophic care insurance with a menu approach (i.e., a 70 year likely doesn't need coverage for pregnancy complications).

Last edited:

I think you better do a little research on what has been the driving force health insurance premium's in the last 20 or so years and then get back to me with your bs. You need more than a dose of reality.
Price fixing and govt meddling......educate yourself instead of spouting talking points

Forum List

Back