Now THIS Strikes Me As A "Big Brother" Moment

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    All the talk of the Patriot Act opening the possibility of 'loss of personal rights', well it seems the government is now compelling people to just give up the info:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060305/NEWS/603050311/1001

2. Emmett

Emmett Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I tend to agree with the guy in the article, it really is not anybody's business is it! I'm not a reciepiant of any government funding, I don't really have a need for their assistance in any way and can see no real benefit in divulging my personal business to them. Am I wrong?

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    None of this is the reason for a census, in spite of the explanation of programs. I heard that there is a notice in the survey, that other government agencies will share info via the databank. (FBI? IRS?) Sorry, but this make the possible 'abuse' scenario of Patriot Act on everday Americans, pale to nothing, in significance.

4. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    As the USA continues to deteriorate, the government will become more aggressive against the people. Healthy nations don't need to spy on their own citizens or collect all that detailed information.

5. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Same fine for the regular Censes as I recall.

I’m a rebel on this, despite what the Censes form asks for they only get what is required by law from me. I haven’t been fined yet., but they have sent storm troopers (in 2000) to try an get the info from me. They made threats too, small ones, but threats none the less. Maybe intimidation is a better description. Anyway, can’t wait till 2010, and if I get one of these “community survey” forms, straight to the trash it goes!

It’s getting way outta hand and will continue too as long as WE don’t stand our ground. Next thing they’ll ask is, "how much TP do ya use to wipe yer ass?".

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    :moon4:

7. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    In the words of Bush 41:

"Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent!"

8. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Do they ask what your religion is?

9. BaronVonBigmeat

BaronVonBigmeat Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Err wait, you personally refused to fill everything out, and you were actually contacted by the feds? Tell us more, what did they threaten you with, etc. I was under the impression they didn't harass or fine people for noncompliance. Wow.

The constitution is a document of specified powers. If it's not on the list, the feds aren't supposed to be able to do it. It isn't "do what you want, except for X, Y, Z". It's "you have no powers, except for the ones explicitly listed". And the only thing the constitution authorizes the feds to do is to take a head count. Not collect detailed information on behalf of marketing firms.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770

What's really sad, up until 1970, the US Census Data was like 'the Word' you could take it to the bank. Since 1960, it's garbage. Even sociologists don't deal with it, unless it proves a point they wish to make. Used to be the other way around.