Now There Is Even Less Motivation To Study For California High School Students

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
SACRAMENTO, California (AP) -- A judge said Monday he is likely to prohibit the state from requiring that high school seniors pass an exit exam to graduate, siding with attorneys who say the test discriminates against the poor.

A group of high school students and their parents sued the state Department of Education in February, seeking a preliminary injunction to halt giving the exam to this year's senior class. It's the first class required to pass the exam to earn a diploma.

Both sides are scheduled to appear Tuesday before Alameda County Superior Court Judge Robert Freedman in Oakland. Freedman said in his tentative ruling that he is likely to issue the injunction, based on the plaintiffs' argument that all California students do not have access to the same quality of education.

"We've submitted substantial evidence, overwhelming evidence that kids who attend schools in large cities are far more likely to be taught by teachers who are not qualified or credentialed," said Arturo Gonzalez, a San Francisco attorney who is representing the students.

Superintendent of Public Instruction Jack O'Connell said he would appeal any ruling blocking implementation of the test.

"Independent research shows that because of the high school exit exam students are working harder and learning more, and those who are struggling are getting the help they need to succeed," he said in a statement.

The department said last week that about 11 percent of this year's senior class has yet to pass the English and math test, although students have multiple opportunities to take the exam. Department officials noted that in previous years, about 13 percent of seniors failed to graduate for various reasons.

Special education students who sued the state over the exit exam won a one-year exemption while the state comes up with an alternative for them.

The same Alameda County judge is scheduled to hear arguments next week in another lawsuit against the exam. Public Advocates, which won a $1 billion settlement over equal access to education in California schools, claims the department failed to properly investigate alternatives to the exam.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/05/09/exit.exam.lawsuit.ap/index.html

Do you hear that? It's the sound of excuses being made for mediocrity and lack of ambition. It's the sound of people not bothering to study, and being rewarded for it. It's the sound of people continually being seen as victims.

And it is heralding the eventual demise of America as a pioneer and leader in research and development in all fields.

P.S. None of the above is directed to Special Ed. students. I assume that they do need and deserve a separate exam.

I should just burn my High School diploma I got from a southern California high school, now that it means absolutely nothing.

:lame2:

MissileMan said:
If the standards had been lowered, there wouldn't be a decline in those graduating. Try again!
I did not say "the standards had been lowered", I said the standards will be lowered.

The MAJORITY of Hispanics are high school dropouts and the numbers are rising. American's have attempted to bring hispanics up to their education standards, with complete failure. The majority of Hispanics are clearly unable to reach the education standards of American's (lower IQ's).

As Hispanics become more of the majority in America, you can expect the standards of education to reach the same levels as the areas from where they ran away from.

dmp said:
If results and standards drop, look for Liberals to call for increased spending. :(
Of course, As you see the article that starts this thread say's:

"A judge said Monday he is likely to prohibit the state from requiring that high school seniors pass an exit exam to graduate, siding with attorneys who say the test discriminates against the POOR".

POOR = HISPANIC'S

Hispanics are not doing well in school because they are "poor" it is because Hispanics have overall lower IQ levels.

It's all part of are "diversity".

D'ster said:
Of course, As you see the article that starts this thread say's:

"A judge said Monday he is likely to prohibit the state from requiring that high school seniors pass an exit exam to graduate, siding with attorneys who say the test discriminates against the POOR".

POOR = HISPANIC'S

Hispanics are not doing well in school because they are "poor" it is because Hispanics have overall lower IQ levels.

It's all part of are "diversity".

And someone with a superior IQ, such as yourself, uses an apostrophe where none is required and uses the word "are" instead of "our". What's your excuse...stupidity?

MissileMan said:
And someone with a superior IQ, such as yourself, uses an apostrophe where none is required and uses the word "are" instead of "our". What's your excuse...stupidity?

Now, now. People make mistakes like that when they type quickly.

MissileMan said:
I find your responce to me quite odd because you first say I have a "superior IQ" and then ask me "What's your excuse...stupidity"?

All because you disagree with my placing of a apostrophe.

It is as if you are trying to bring more attention to me, then the topic of this thread. :salute:

D'ster said:
I find your responce to me quite odd because you first say I have a "superior IQ" and then ask me "What's your excuse...stupidity"?

It is as if you are trying to bring more attention to me, then the topic of this thread. :salute:

then there are those..... other than us..... that are simply fun to torment

D'ster said:

Your superior IQ was self-proclaimed. Superior is relative. In your particular case, I'm allowing for your IQ to be superior to a turnip. This still leaves you a large margin in which to find your excuse.

I myself would view people who choose to graduate as more intelligent over all, when compared to those who choose to dropout.

New Topics

Forum List

Back