Now the FCC wants to regulate apps!

Revere

Rookie
Jan 23, 2010
Watching you in my profile page
They want app developers to rat out to the internet stasi. I lay this at the foot of all of you who can't take a crap without government giving you more rules about how to do it every day.

FCC challenges app makers to protect open Internet - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – U.S. regulators are asking software developers in an "Open Internet Challenge" to create apps that let Internet users know when their service provider -- fixed or mobile -- is interfering with content.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – U.S. regulators are asking software developers in an "Open Internet Challenge" to create apps that let Internet users know when their service provider -- fixed or mobile -- is interfering with content.

The U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is trying to get consumers to help police Internet service providers for network management abuses such as slowing bandwidth-hogging content from movies.

The wants to spur the deployment of innovative technologies to protect the openness of the Internet.

Did you bother to even read your own article? I'm guessing a strong no.

facepalm_implied.jpg

Asking =/= regulating.

Letting users of the app know =/= letting FCC know.

The FCC is asking developers to come up with an app, that can run in the background on a mobile device or traditional computer, to notify the users of the app when their ISP is intentionally throttling back on the bandwidth during certain applications. IOW, they're asking developers to come up with an app which will make users aware. Which hopefully will lead to self correcting market conditions, without the government having to get involved.

A broadband speed test isn't quite the same thing.

The FCC is asking developers to come up with an app, that can run in the background on a mobile device or traditional computer, to notify the users of the app when their ISP is intentionally throttling back on the bandwidth during certain applications. IOW, they're asking developers to come up with an app which will make users aware. Which hopefully will lead to self correcting market conditions, without the government having to get involved.

How is the FCC demanding what content you carry and at what speed a "self correcting market condition?"

How is the FCC demanding what content you carry and at what speed a "self correcting market condition?"

They aren't demanding I carry any content at any speed.

But they're encouraging developers to make an app to let me know if my ISP is intentionally monkeying around with speeds, which gives me information to use to change to a different ISP who does not do that if I so choose.

But they're encouraging developers to make an app to let me know if my ISP is intentionally monkeying around with speeds, which gives me information to use to change to a different ISP who does not do that if I so choose.

What business is that of the FCC's?

The FCC wants to encourage freedom of choice if an ISP is messing around with your speed, Big Nanny Government at it's finest! :evil:

The FCC wants to encourage freedom of choice if an ISP is messing around with your speed, Big Nanny Government at it's finest! :evil:

What government regulations have ever resulted in more choices?

What business is that of the FCC's?

An open marketplace allowing more competition when it comes to broadcast, and now internet, has always been under the FCC's purview.

The U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is trying to get consumers to help police Internet service providers for network management abuses such as slowing bandwidth-hogging content from movies.

The wants to spur the deployment of innovative technologies to protect the openness of the Internet.

Did you bother to even read your own article? I'm guessing a strong no.

You are just a member of the Internet Stasi.

Forum List

Back