Now that their handgun ban has been overturned, Chicago trots out its new handgun ban

Brubricker

Feb 18, 2008
Huntsville, AL
With the city's gun ban certain to be overturned, Mayor Richard Daley on Thursday introduced what city officials say is the strictest handgun ordinance in the United States. The measure, which draws from ordinances around the country, would ban gun shops in Chicago and prohibit gun owners from stepping outside their homes, even onto their porches or garages, with a handgun.

Daley announced his ordinance at a park on the city's South Side three days after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that Americans have a right to own a gun for self-defense anywhere they live. The City Council is expected to vote on it Friday.

"As long as I'm mayor, we will never give up or give in to gun violence that continues to threaten every part of our nation, including Chicago," said Daley, who was flanked by activists, city officials and the parents of a teenager whose son was shot and killed on a city bus while shielding a friend.

The ordinance, which Daley urged the City Council to pass, also would :

• Limit the number of handguns residents can register to one per month and prohibit residents from having more than one handgun in operating order at any given time.

• Require residents in homes with children to keep them in lock boxes or equipped with trigger locks.

• Require prospective gun owners to take a four-hour class and one-hour training at a gun range. They would have to leave the city for training because Chicago prohibits new gun ranges and limits the use of existing ranges to police officers. Those restrictions were similar to those in an ordinance passed in Washington, D.C., after the high court struck down its ban two years ago.

• Prohibit people from owning a gun if they were convicted of a violent crime, domestic violence or two or more convictions for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Residents convicted of a gun offense would have to register with the police department.

• Calls for the police department to maintain a registry of every handgun owner in the city, with the names and addresses to be made available to police officers, firefighters and other emergency responders.

Those who already have handguns in the city — which has been illegal since the city's ban was approved 28 years ago — would have 90 days to register those weapons, according to the proposed ordinance.

Residents convicted of violating the city's ordinance can face a fine up to $5,000 and be locked up for as long as 90 days for a first offense and a fine of up to $10,000 and as long as six months behind bars for subsequent convictions.

Mayor Daley lays out strict gun rules for Chicago - Yahoo! News

• Require residents in homes with children to keep them in lock boxes or equipped with trigger locks.

• Require prospective gun owners to take a four-hour class and one-hour training at a gun range. They would have to leave the city for training because Chicago prohibits new gun ranges and limits the use of existing ranges to police officers. Those restrictions were similar to those in an ordinance passed in Washington, D.C., after the high court struck down its ban two years ago.

• Prohibit people from owning a gun if they were convicted of a violent crime, domestic violence or two or more convictions for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Residents convicted of a gun offense would have to register with the police department.

• Calls for the police department to maintain a registry of every handgun owner in the city, with the names and addresses to be made available to police officers, firefighters and other emergency responders.

Freaking Commie Bastards! :evil::evil::evil::evil:

I guess they wouldn't like me in Chicago.

I own:

27 handguns
14 rifles
2 fully automatic weapons
and about 20000 round of ammo for them+

oops 6 shotguns to

Last edited:
With the city's gun ban certain to be overturned, Mayor Richard Daley on Thursday introduced what city officials say is the strictest handgun ordinance in the United States. The measure, which draws from ordinances around the country, would ban gun shops in Chicago and prohibit gun owners from stepping outside their homes, even onto their porches or garages, with a handgun.

How exactly is this supposed to work? They cannot step outside their homes, even to go to the garage with the gun, but they have to take classes outside the city? That sounds like a perfect way for them to arrest everyone who tries to comply with the law.

How exactly is this supposed to work? They cannot step outside their homes, even to go to the garage with the gun, but they have to take classes outside the city? That sounds like a perfect way for them to arrest everyone who tries to comply with the law.

It will NEVER fly.

Exactly what the NRA addressed, today:

The NRA will work to ensure this constitutional victory is not transformed into a practical defeat by activist judges, defiant city councils, or cynical politicians who seek to pervert, reverse, or nullify the Supreme Court's McDonald decision through Byzantine labyrinths of restrictions and regulations that render the Second Amendment inaccessible, unaffordable, or otherwise impossible to experience in a practical, reasonable way.

Exactly what the NRA addressed, today:

The NRA will work to ensure this constitutional victory is not transformed into a practical defeat by activist judges, defiant city councils, or cynical politicians who seek to pervert, reverse, or nullify the Supreme Court's McDonald decision through Byzantine labyrinths of restrictions and regulations that render the Second Amendment inaccessible, unaffordable, or otherwise impossible to experience in a practical, reasonable way.

What? No mention of precious bodily fluids?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47wZkFmSGVw]YouTube - Dr Strangelove - Communist Fluid Sappers[/ame]

Well, the law-abiding ones, anyway....
• Limit the number of handguns residents can register to one per month and prohibit residents from having more than one handgun in operating order at any given time.

Yes... because the gangbangers always register their guns...

Yes, because nobody does it out of care for their children and those who don't do it out of care for their children will be convinced by an unenforceable law...

Wait... that's not in place now?

:cuckoo:

Daley announced his ordinance at a park on the city's South Side three days after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that Americans have a right to own a gun for self-defense anywhere they live. The City Council is expected to vote on it Friday.

"As long as I'm mayor, we will never give up or give in to gun violence that continues to threaten every part of our nation, including Chicago," said Daley, who was flanked by activists, city officials and the parents of a teenager whose son was shot and killed on a city bus while shielding a friend.

Those who already have handguns in the city — which has been illegal since the city's ban was approved 28 years ago — would have 90 days to register those weapons, according to the proposed ordinance.

Residents convicted of violating the city's ordinance can face a fine up to $5,000 and be locked up for as long as 90 days for a first offense and a fine of up to $10,000 and as long as six months behind bars for subsequent convictions.

Step onto MY porch with bad intent. I got news for f-ing Daley ....

Ever notice only pussies are for gun control? Usually the wealthy type that think some cop is going to save them. Cops solve murder cases. They don't prevent crime.

But y'all are welcome to come try n steal my stuff. I just have a gun under every pillow, about.:eusa_whistle:

As long as daley is mayor he has his personal body guards call the Chicage PD. He has nothing to worry about. I wonder if he will be re-elected when his term ends?

Well then....

Now that Chicago criminals know that there's laws against gun ownership, I'm sure they'll get rid of them.

I guess they wouldn't like me in Chicago.

I own:

27 handguns
14 rifles
2 fully automatic weapons
and about 20000 round of ammo for them+

oops 6 shotguns to

As a conservative American, a Constitutionalist, small business owner, and Federal Firearms Licensee, may I offer some advice?

You need more ammo :)

Step onto MY porch with bad intent. I got news for f-ing Daley ....

Ever notice only pussies are for gun control? Usually the wealthy type that think some cop is going to save them. Cops solve murder cases. They don't prevent crime.

But y'all are welcome to come try n steal my stuff. I just have a gun under every pillow, about.:eusa_whistle:

I won't be a statistic either, at least not without a fight.

The thieving fuckers are getting brazen nowadays though. My brother lives a couple miles from me, and we are out in the middle of nowhere. He was broken into this spring in broad daylight while he and his wife were out earning a living. They even laid a beating on his old hound with a hockey stick! I went shortly thereafter and got this GSD, and she's getting a big male playmate in about a month. If the bastards get through them when I'm not home they'll have my respect because it would've taken balls of steel.
If I'm home, one of us won't likely be leaving on our feet.

Forum List

Back