Now that Newt's time is over, can Santorum challenge Mitt?

Jeez Louise you sure are positive about things that haven't happened yet. Are you some sort of refugee from the future or something? The way you go on, we may as well as cancel the election now and re anoint the messiah today.

Is this where you live?
tardis-large.jpg

No. Santorum is a right-wing extremist. The country won't accept that.

Perhaps, but the GOP nomination may be within his reach. Romney still has the best chance in the General, considering the present field.

The people in East Iowa say that Romney(care ;) ) has the best chance of challenging President Obama because he's a moderate. :)

Nate Silver, based on polling, gives Santorum and Gingrich 3% chances each of winning Iowa's caucuses (FiveThirtyEight: 2012 Iowa Republican Caucus Projections - Election 2012 - NYTimes.com), which is also roughly Santorum's odds of capturing the nomination, according to intrade.com.

All this is to say that Santorum has an outside chance of beating Romney, but it's quite unlikely. It should be noted that Santorum isn't really a flawed candidate, he's just a fairly unaccomplished former Senator. That's not enough to stand out in a strong field, but in a field where all the other major candidates have serious issues it's enough to merit some attention.

Nate Silver, based on polling, gives Santorum and Gingrich 3% chances each of winning Iowa's caucuses (FiveThirtyEight: 2012 Iowa Republican Caucus Projections - Election 2012 - NYTimes.com), which is also roughly Santorum's odds of capturing the nomination, according to intrade.com.

All this is to say that Santorum has an outside chance of beating Romney, but it's quite unlikely. It should be noted that Santorum isn't really a flawed candidate, he's just a fairly unaccomplished former Senator. That's not enough to stand out in a strong field, but in a field where all the other major candidates have serious issues it's enough to merit some attention.

Santorum is an empty head, like Bachmann. Romney's got it in the bag. No doubt.

Santorum can not. He's just the latest refuge of the Anyone But Mitt faction of the Republican party. Personally I think he is a doofus even apart from his positions. He goes nowhere with a bullet. I think Romney is just about inevitable for better or for worse. If he wins Iowa he certainly is.

Its like if someone asked him -- "are you a presidential candidate?" the answer should be:

"No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night."

Its like that

I don't like to say someone can't win nor do I like to claim someone will win but Santorum is so full of hate that I can't see him doing much of anything. He could pass Paul so I'm not playing a Paulite role here.

Santorum hates gays, like REALLY hates gays... He Hates Democrats, like REALLY hates them, he also hates Muslims, enough to start and expand wars... Santorum is also nothing more than a big Government Neocon, wants more wars in a time when most the country Republican and Democrat wants less... and is freakishly, extremely religious... That wins votes but that will lose him the GE by a massive huge crazy landslide to Obama.

Last edited:

Santorum is an empty head, like Bachmann. Romney's got it in the bag. No doubt.

Well.. I guess they would be an even match with Obama's empty head then

Santorum "surging"?

Gosh, is it time for a new "favorite" already?

This "Flavor or the Week" nonsense is an excellent indication that there's not one of them that is liked by very many or electable. Problem is, they're running out of "faves" and then will be stuck with Silver Spoon Mitt.

It will finally come down to who gets bought out by kochs et al and I still think that will be Mitt because he has no brain to get in the way of being totally controlled. OTOH, the same is true of the others.

The local Conservative talk shows are all saying how Santorum might even win Iowa now.
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see the rest of the country going that far to the right socially. At least I hope not.

I think if Newt can ride it out he could regain some of these votes from Santorum and Bachmann if they chose to exit sooner than himself. He could be the not-Romney guy again.

Lol comical how the lefties care about GOP primaries so much.

I'm all for Newt. He is very qualified, a straight shooter, and has sound conservative principles.

I don't like to say someone can't win nor do I like to claim someone will win but Santorum is so full of hate that I can't see him doing much of anything. He could pass Paul so I'm not playing a Paulite role here.

Santorum hates gays, like REALLY hates gays... He Hates Democrats, like REALLY hates them, he also hates Muslims, enough to start and expand wars... Santorum is also nothing more than a big Government Neocon, wants more wars in a time when most the country Republican and Democrat wants less... and is freakishly, extremely religious... That wins votes but that will lose him the GE by a massive huge crazy landslide to Obama.

He gives the Far Right their man. I would not count him out. i really think he can win the GOP nomination, even if the General is a far reach for his positions.

Lol comical how the lefties care about GOP primaries so much.

Since when is being concerned for one’s country’s future ‘comical’?

You’ve got republican candidate who want to be president – sign EOs, establish administrative policy, appoint judges and justices to the courts – everyone should care about the primaries, not just ‘lefties.’

I'm all for Newt. He is very qualified, a straight shooter, and has sound conservative principles.
^ Case in point as to why the concern – Gingrich has demonstrated he’s anything but qualified, exhibiting his ignorance of the judiciary is but one of many examples; and ‘sound conservative principles’ is oxymoronic.

Forum List

Back