Now that it is all said and done...

Immanuel

Gold Member
May 15, 2007
... can you share with us why you chose to vote the way you did? Not who you voted for, but why you chose to vote the way you did.

For me, I decided to vote mostly Republican this time around even though I don't like Republicans any more than I like Democrats. Although the economy is weighing me down, I do not blame either political party for what is going on with the economy. I blame them both. So, I made my decision this election cycle mostly on the biggest issue that got my goat over the last two years. I socked it to the Democrats because of the way that Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi forced Health Care (euphemism for Health Insurance) Reform down our throats. Also, my decision was based more upon the way they went about it than it was what the bill did although I think they screwed that up as well. My biggest gripe was how they went about it. Despite so much of the country's fears and dislikes of the bill itself, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid forced this bill down our throats and made us take it like a mother makes a child take medicine he/she does not like.

I made my decisions as to who I would vote for this time around because of the arrogance of Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid.

If it had not been for the way HCR was forced down our throats I would have voted almost strictly for candidates who ran as No Party Affiliation candidates.

Looking at the newly blood colored map of the U.S., I wonder how many others, especially independents, felt the same way I did yesterday.

Immie

I voted mostly Democrat for two reasons. One, the Republicans have been in charge of Florida for a very long time and I don't see them improving much...except the bottom line of builders that IMO have ruined Florida.

I also voted Democrat because I think that two years wasn't enough time for them to turn the economy around and I would have liked to have seen them have a full cycle.

I voted mostly Democrat for two reasons. One, the Republicans have been in charge of Florida for a very long time and I don't see them improving much...except the bottom line of builders that IMO have ruined Florida.

I also voted Democrat because I think that two years wasn't enough time for them to turn the economy around and I would have liked to have seen them have a full cycle.

Thank you for the reply. I agree, two years is not enough time to turn things around. However, I do not think either party has or will make that a top priority.

My issue was, as I said, the way they forced HCR down our throats. The bill could have been one that guaranteed there would be no more abortions EVER, and the way they did it, would have still pissed me off. Okay... I take that back, if they could guarantee there would be no more abortions, I might have forgiven them for the way they handled it. :lol:

Oh, and you said you voted mostly Democrat. Did you vote for Charlie Christ (if you don't mind me asking) we both know he would have been a Democrat before taking office. :D

Immie

Last edited:

Thank you for the reply. I agree, two years is not enough time to turn things around. However, I do not think either party has or will make that a top priority.

My issue was, as I said, the way they forced HCR down our throats. The bill could have been one that guaranteed there would be no more abortions EVER, and the way they did it, would have still pissed me off. Okay... I take that back, if they could guarantee there would be no more abortions, I might have forgiven them for the way they handled it. :lol:

Oh, and you said you voted mostly Democrat. Did you vote for Charlie Christ (if you don't mind me asking) we both know he would have been a Democrat before taking office. :D

Immie
I did! I guess that makes me a racist. :rofl:

No one will ever guarantee there will be no more abortions simply because it would be a lie.

... the political ads and phone calls will stop! ( clasping hands, closing eyes and thanking God )

... I feel a little let down. Not due to my voting experience or the outcome of the elections. More like having a vacation that was planned way in advance, be over with. We've talked and discussed and argued for so long now. But, we have 2012 to look forward to!

... Hillary will soon announce her run for President.

... let's see what the Republicans can do with their chance.

Let's also see what the remaining Dems do.
Alot of 'blue dog' Dems lost yesterday. Are there any moderate Dems left?

I didn't vote this year.

I might have read your reason elsewhere, but was there a particular reason you chose not to vote this year? and if so, care to share why? Do you usually vote?

Immie

Actually, although I wasn't impressed with any of the candidates in any of the races in my area - except maybe for [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4o-TeMHys0"]this guy [/ame]- the reason I didn't vote is rather mundane: I was a couple hundred miles from my polling place on election day, working on a campaign out of my home state. I was sent up there with too little notice to file for an absentee ballot.

Everybody I voted for yesterday won in their elections. Illinois now will have a Republican Governor and Obama lost his old Senate seat to a Republican. There is a very loud and clear message in that because the Democratic political machine in Illinois was broken yesterday. Will it stay that way? Who knows but it was nice to know in this election you would not automatically be voting for naught because Illinois is a very strong Democratic State. I fired as many Democrats as I could yesterday by voting Republican. If the Republicans don't do a better job of things, come next election I will fire them too.

Immie

No one will ever guarantee there will be no more abortions simply because it would be a lie.

I don't think that makes you a racist... just a Democrat.

To be honest with you, I actually like both Kendrick Meek and Charlie Crist, but I voted for Rubio because of my above reasons. Meek seemed... well almost too meek. ;) He simply did not seem the senatorial type. Crist did very little for the State of Florida as Governor and his abandonment of the Republicans when they chose Rubio over him left a sour taste in my mouth.

I actually expect him to run for something again, but next time it will be as a Democrat. He would have run as the Democratic Party's senatorial candidate this year except that it was too late by the time he realized Republicans were going to hold the veto of the ultrasound bill against him.

Immie

Immie

To be honest with you, I actually like both Kendrick Meek and Charlie Crist, but I voted for Rubio because of my above reasons. Meek seemed... well almost too meek. ;) He simply did not seem the senatorial type. Crist did very little for the State of Florida as Governor and his abandonment of the Republicans when they chose Rubio over him left a sour taste in my mouth.

I actually expect him to run for something again, but next time it will be as a Democrat. He would have run as the Democratic Party's senatorial candidate this year except that it was too late by the time he realized Republicans were going to hold the veto of the ultrasound bill against him.

Immie
That's why I decided to vote for him. No true conservative OR liberal would vote to force someone to have a medical procedure. That bill really showed that there are very few conservatives in Florida.

Immie
That's why I decided to vote for him. No true conservative OR liberal would vote to force someone to have a medical procedure. That bill really showed that there are very few conservatives in Florida.

I opposed the way Crist went about his veto of it. He claimed to be pro-life, but has never really supported a pro-life position, that I can remember. However, that issue in itself would not have caused me to vote against him.

It was the fact that I perceived him to be whining that he was beat and that he had acted like a ten year old who said if you won't play the game by my rules, I will take my ball and go play with someone that will.

Immie

Immie

I opposed the way Crist went about his veto of it. He claimed to be pro-life, but has never really supported a pro-life position, that I can remember. However, that issue in itself would not have caused me to vote against him.

It was the fact that I perceived him to be whining that he was beat and that he had acted like a ten year old who said if you won't play the game by my rules, I will take my ball and go play with someone that will.

Immie
Why would he stay a Republican when they stabbed him in the back? That is just idiocy, IMO.

Immie
Why would he stay a Republican when they stabbed him in the back? That is just idiocy, IMO.

They stabbed him in the back?

You mean because they supported Marco Rubio? It seems to me that it was him that was doing the stabbing.

But more importantly than that is this fact. I expect (I know I shouldn't, but I do) politicians to at least pretend to stand by their principles. So, for all these years he has been claiming to support the Republican Party Platform and all he really was doing was using them to win an election? That is how I see a party switch that is made in this manner.

Immie

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel

Immie

They stabbed him in the back?

You mean because they supported Marco Rubio? It seems to me that it was him that was doing the stabbing.

But more importantly than that is this fact. I expect (I know I shouldn't, but I do) politicians to at least pretend to stand by their principles. So, for all these years he has been claiming to support the Republican Party Platform and all he really was doing was using them to win an election? That is how I see a party switch that is made in this manner.

Immie
I don't see it that way. I really am not in the position to defend him, though, since he was only the best of three choices...the other two were poor choices, IMO.

I liked the fact that he was unwilling to force someone to have a medical procedure...that is a big thing, from my view.

But hey, he lost and we will just have to make the best of the winners.

I voted for Democrats because I think they will always care more about people than the Republicans do. Human rights is the most important thing to me. And I see Democrats being the strongest in that area.

I have voted Republican just once in my life and that was for Arnold. It didn't work out too well. :)

I voted for Democrats because I think they will always care more about people than the Republicans do. Human rights is the most important thing to me. And I see Democrats being the strongest in that area.

I have voted Republican just once in my life and that was for Arnold. It didn't work out too well. :)

Thank you for your answer.

I respect your position but think the Democrats have pulled the wool over your eyes as they have done for a heck of a lot of people. I don't think the politicians of either party really care about human rights. It is a talking point for them and and dividing point for us.

I see conservatives (maybe because I identify with them more and I do care) as being more caring than liberals. It seems to me that liberals talk the talk, but walking the walk is a different story.

Funny how we all see things different, ain't it?

Immie

I don't know why California even bothers to vote a republican governor at all. Due to union backed Democratic legislatures constantly being voted in time after time after time, a Republican governors' main function in California is to make a personal appearance whenever a major wildfire breaks out :lol:.

Forum List

Back