Now Obama Slaps the Gay Community with Rick Warren

We have just had a POTUS who surrounded himself with yes-men.

We have just gone through 8 years where inconclasts were removed from public view as much as possible.

THIS MAN IS A REFRESHING CHANGE from that.

I think it was a brilliant political statement.

Excellent point.

I think its appalling that Obama is giving this guy a national platform.

But, I think its a political calculation.

Obama is probably the most pro-gay president we've ever elected, for what it's worth. Will that translate into policy changes? Who knows? I hope Obama repeals the don't ask don't tell policy.

The bottom line, is that Obama is not standing there agreeing with this asswipe on a range of issues, unlike Sarah Palin and GOP bigwigs who profess to agree with Tim Hagee and Pat Robertson.

You've missed the trick my sister.

The opposing view is that of Dr. Lowery .. I believe Obama is MUCH closer to the beliefs of Warren, than Lowery. That's why they're friends.

We have just had a POTUS who surrounded himself with yes-men.

We have just gone through 8 years where inconclasts were removed from public view as much as possible.

THIS MAN IS A REFRESHING CHANGE from that.

I think it was a brilliant political statement.

You don't think Obama has surrounded himself with yes-men?

I do.

This man is a fraud .. and frankly, I'm fucking stunned by the capitulation of his supporters. This changeling could not be more obvious .. absolutely could not be.

My only surprise is that he did it so violently. He threw progressives overboard with the quickness and didn't leave a single one on deck .. yet even as they drown, they defend his throwing them overboard.

That shit is amazing

You don't think Obama has surrounded himself with yes-men?

Well...the fact that he didn't ask you or I to join the team is suspect, I'll admit

This man is a fraud .. and frankly, I'm fucking stunned by the capitulation of his supporters. This changeling could not be more obvious .. absolutely could not be.

I'm not ready to say he's our first ugly duckling in the oval office, but I understand your concerns.

My only surprise is that he did it so violently. He threw progressives overboard with the quickness and didn't leave a single one on deck .. yet even as they drown, they defend his throwing them overboard.

It takes a tough man to run a tight lifeboat.

That shit is amazing

Perhaps my capacity to be truly amazed is just overworked after the last eight years.

Perhaps, I have amazement fatigue.

Sorry, perhaps if I were gay I'd care more about this?

I'm all for gay rights, I believe in gay marriage and gay adoption too but I don't see what is the problem with asking Rick Warren to lead the invocation on inaguration day?! He's a GLOBALLY recognized figure and just because Obama disagrees with him on certain issues doesn't mean they can't work together on the things they do agree on.

That IMO, is what is so freakin wrong with the extremes on BOTH sides. You all believe that it's ALL or NOTHING and the world just doesn't work that way. There are differing viewpoints and you have to learn to accept those viewpoints in others and try to find commonground and then while you're working on the things you agree on perhaps, just maybe, some minds can be changed on the other issues too.

I think it's much more likely that Rick Warren would come closer to Obama's way of thinking that Obama to Rick Warrne, given his very vocal support of gay rights in his career.

Obama has said he doesn't support gay marriage but he DOES support civil unions with all the same rights and benefits as marriage, it's just not called marriage. What is wrong with that? Nothing IMO.

So, while some Obama supporters might be pissed, I'm guessing the majority of us, who aren't so far to the left aren't worried about it in the least.

I think it's much ado about nothing.

You've missed the trick my sister.

The opposing view is that of Dr. Lowery .. I believe Obama is MUCH closer to the beliefs of Warren, than Lowery. That's why they're friends.

Wow.

First Obama is a marxist muslim, now he's a right wing evangelical.

How's it pandering to give front seat to opposing views, to both sides of the coin? Thought that was balance.--Funny how a guy can't even do right doing that, but that's as historical as the fact it's always difficult to decipher what any politician truly 'stands for' & if this's any indication, then I suppose he's trying to stand for balance and equal air-time--least thus far--to either mainstream view, between which you'll always find plenty of gray area.

If he doesn't believe in what Rick Warren stands for (on abortion, gay marriage, etc.), then he's simply being nice to win over support of Rick Warren supporters. That's pandering. That's pretty much TEXTBOOK pandering. If he actually DOES agree with Rick Warren (which on gay rights, not far off, really), then he's been lying to LGBT Americans this entire campaign.

It's a very bizarre thing when you have a man who he doesn't support gay marriage claim he opposes an amendment to a state constitution banning gay marriage THEN inviting a man who opposes gay marriage to be an integral part of his coming into the White House. I'm all for balanced opinions, but if it paralyzes you with an inability to do anything without stepping on toes (which, surprise surprise, the only toe-stepping he's done has been all over Clinton supporters) and makes you start to look less balanced and more completely unsure of your beliefs (which is probably closer to the bone than most people are comfortable admitting) it's a problem. I've worried about Obama's ability to be president from the day he announced his candidacy simply because it's dangerous to spend so much time considering every side of an issue. If you're pro-gay rights, be pro-gay rights! But don't pretend to be pro-gay rights if you're going to end up taking three years deciding whether it's "okay" to create laws that improve LGBT Americans' lives. One of the positives of having a noted autobiographer for president is that we already have an insight into what he reports as his thought process. And if those books taught me anything (or his year-and-a-half as an actual senator, not a tax-drain) it's that he is painfully slow in making up his mind. Good when debating about invading countries, less when the economy is in the toilet with room to still go down and we're already at war on two fronts.

I don't have a problem with Rick Warren getting a national platform from Obama. He was picked because he is a very popular religious figure with sell out books under his belt.. who btw supported Obama. Obama is nothing but predictible when it comes to wanting to be "popular". It's quite funny how Liberals are now 'defending" this choice though. When,If the roles were reversed and it was McCain, they would be OUTRAGED and APPALLED.

The gay community would be better served by chilling out and not getting up in arms about every little thing they consider a slight by this new Admin. God knows it's going to be a long road other wise. Obama is NOT for gay rights being equal to civil rights and if they think he is...they are in for a RUDE awakining..

I think its safe to say that the homosexuals on this board aren't going to suffer much because Obama allows this nutter to share the spotlight with him for a minute or two.

I think its safe to say that the homosexuals on this board aren't going to suffer much because Obama allows this nutter to share the spotlight with him for a minute or two.

and blacks or jews would not suffer much if Bush or another conservative had an anti-semite or klansman at their invocation...but that would never happen nor would it be defended as okay by you, now would it?

the gays here can speak for themselves whoever they are, but I think anyone who defends this bs is in denial about how much of their objectivity and critical faculties have been flushed down the drain of obama-mania

just my two cents

:eusa_whistle:

maybe like Warren we can all mention how much we care about AIDS when mentioning gays---as a way to cover from being called bigots. I see where mr. Warren did that.

I wonder if this not bigoted bigot mentions AIDS when he thinks of blacks like Obama who have astronomical rates of AIDS infections?

hmmmm...

Gays get emotional about everything. Just send them free tickets to a Barbra Streisand concert and they'll be fine.

you do realize BS's concerts are filled with conservatives? yep, her audiences transcend the kind of childish nonsense that dribbles off your sticky fingers here on a daily basis.

Forum List

Back