Now It's 'Whoops' On Guantanamo Bay

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
One thing to promise, another to deliver. Seems there really might be a few bad guys there:

ABC News: Obama: Gitmo Likely Won't Close in First 100 Days

Obama: Gitmo Likely Won't Close in First 100 Days
Closing Guantanamo Bay More Difficult Than People Realize, President-Elect Tells George Stephanopoulos in Exclusive Interview on "This Week"

By MARY BRUCE
Jan. 11, 2009 —

President-elect Barack Obama said this weekend that he does not expect to close Guantanamo Bay in his first 100 days in office.

"I think it's going to take some time and our legal teams are working in consultation with our national security apparatus as we speak to help design exactly what we need to do," Obama said in an exclusive "This Week" interview with George Stephanopoulos, his first since arriving in Washington.

"It is more difficult than I think a lot of people realize," the president-elect explained. "Part of the challenge that you have is that you have a bunch of folks that have been detained, many of whom may be very dangerous who have not been put on trial or have not gone through some adjudication. And some of the evidence against them may be tainted even though it's true. And so how to balance creating a process that adheres to rule of law, habeas corpus, basic principles of Anglo-American legal system, by doing it in a way that doesn't result in releasing people who are intent on blowing us up."

But Obama said unequivocally that it will close. "I don't want to be ambiguous about this. We are going to close Guantanamo and we are going to make sure that the procedures we set up are ones that abide by our Constitution. That is not only the right thing to do but it actually has to be part of our broader national security strategy because we will send a message to the world that we are serious about our values."...

President-elect Barack Obama said this weekend that he does not expect to close Guantanamo Bay in his first 100 days in office.

"I think it's going to take some time and our legal teams are working in consultation with our national security apparatus as we speak to help design exactly what we need to do,"

But Obama said unequivocally that it will close.

Annie: Now It's 'Whoops' On Guantanamo Bay ...One thing to promise, another to deliver.

Can you please post the link from Obama's campaign website, or any where else credible, where he promised to close Gitmo in the first 100 days.

Thanks.

Can you please post the link from Obama's campaign website, or any where else credible, where he promised to close Gitmo in the first 100 days.

Thanks.

No, but lots of groups from the left going nuts! They said he pledged to.

Thanks.

"The president-elect said another campaign promise to shut down the federal detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, may have to wait.

He said it would be a challenge to close the facility, as he had promised, within the first 100 days of his administration."

Last edited:
Okay, thanks I had no idea he was supposed to close it within 100 days, and I've never heard a single liberal demand that it had to be closed within a 100 days.

But if that's what he promised, and it takes him 200 days instead, he should be impeached and run out of office.

No, but lots of groups from the left going nuts! They said he pledged to.

Really? Which left wing sites do you read, because I haven't seen this outrage you speak of. Although, undeniably, some people want to close Guantanomo on day one. I don't think that's feasible, personally.

Good thread however. Between this, hiring Bush's chef, and "skipping" out on Grandma's funeral in Hawaii, Obama's transition is going HORRIBLY!!! It's amazing that he has an 82% approval rating. Must be that fucking liberal media bias! :mad:

I think it's going to take some time and our legal teams are working in consultation with our national security apparatus as we speak to help design exactly what we need to do," Obama said in an exclusive "This Week" interview with George Stephanopoulos, his first since arriving in Washington.

"It is more difficult than I think a lot of people realize," the president-elect explained. "Part of the challenge that you have is that you have a bunch of folks that have been detained, many of whom may be very dangerous who have not been put on trial or have not gone through some adjudication. And some of the evidence against them may be tainted even though it's true. And so how to balance creating a process that adheres to rule of law, habeas corpus, basic principles of Anglo-American legal system, by doing it in a way that doesn't result in releasing people who are intent on blowing us up."

Damn that Obama! Actually consulting legal teams!

Habeas Corpus? Who the fuck needs that?!

Any real american would be willing to be interned by their country for three years without a trial of any kind! Right Republicans?! *Crickets*

:rolleyes:

Obama is actually trying to follow the law, oh noes! Not making hasty decisions like the last administration? How dare he!

Last edited:
More like wishful thinking...

A lot of people really do want this guy to succeed myself included. The only good thing thus far is that Obama seems inclined to let slide promses that now appear to be in error.

Just watch though. If Gitmo is still open a year from now and we still have troops in Iraq, moveon and KOS will be on him like stink on a skunk.

More like wishful thinking...

A lot of people really do want this guy to succeed myself included. The only good thing thus far is that Obama seems inclined to let slide promses that now appear to be in error.

Just watch though. If Gitmo is still open a year from now and we still have troops in Iraq, moveon and KOS will be on him like stink on a skunk.

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you that a president would move in a calm, deliberative fashion, and adapt to changing facts and reality.

It was great having a president who acted impulsively, on gut reactions; one who never admitted a mistake! Good times!

The article states that Obama still intends to close Gitmo. The nerve of him, not sticking to his 100 day pledge! You're right though. If we're still torturing people a year from now, and holding them without charges in Guantanomo a year from now, Obama deserves to catch some crap then.

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you that a president would move in a calm, deliberative fashion, and adapt to changing facts and reality.

It was great having a president who acted impulsively, on gut reactions; one who never admitted a mistake! Good times!

The article states that Obama still intends to close Gitmo. The nerve of him, not sticking to his 100 day pledge! You're right though. If we're still torturing people a year from now, and holding them without charges in Guantanomo a year from now, Obama deserves to catch some crap then.

The Decider - The Origin | The Daily Show | Comedy Central

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=215277&title=The-Bush-Years:-He's-the-Decider!

Presidency is serious business. :eusa_whistle:

Last edited:

It's all fun and games and idle promises, until facts and reality slap you upside the head.

Red my boy you must have slipped off your anti hysterical pills. I'm not yelling about him backing of of this particular promise, dolt, in fact I think it a good thing. What I am saying is that if those two things are still in operation a year from now the KOSites and the moveoners will be raking him over the coals on a daily basis just like they did Bush and quite possibly worse. Nothing like feeling like you've been stabbed in the back by one of your own to really bring out the bile and spleen in a crowd that already possesses vast surpluses of those to items.

Now understand I'm not saying that those two things will still be on going a year from now. I'm just saying that if they are he will be catching far more hell from his erstwhile allies that he will be from the right.

Okay, thanks I had no idea he was supposed to close it within 100 days, and I've never heard a single liberal demand that it had to be closed within a 100 days.

But if that's what he promised, and it takes him 200 days instead, he should be impeached and run out of office.

Try at least 730 days.

If we're still torturing people a year from now, and holding them without charges in Guantanomo a year from now, Obama deserves to catch some crap then.

Today's story on Guardian.co.uk:

Although only 30 prisoners were released in the last 12 months, the election of Barack Obama, who has pledged to close Guantanamo, ban torture and transfer terror trials to US federal courts as part of an effort to regain America's moral standing, indicates that the end is in sight for the Bush administration's horrendously novel prison experiment.

Even so, Obama's transition team has been notoriously tight-lipped when it comes to the fine print of the president-elect's bold promise. Obama recently signalled that he would close the prison within two years but has not yet explained how he intends to deal with the two greatest obstacles to the prison's closure. (more)...

Let the crap catching commence!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back