Now It's The White House's Fault That Newsweek Got It Wrong

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
From Drudge:

Mainline reporters moved into battle-mode today during a White House press briefing -- as one of their own outlets continued to hemorrhage over a now retracted story!

Afghanistan's government said Tuesday that NEWSWEEK should be held responsible for damages caused by deadly anti-American demonstrations after the magazine alleged U.S. desecration of the Quran.

The White House said the United States' image abroad had suffered irreparable damage by the story.

The president's men and women called on NEWSWEEK to help repair damage to the U.S. image in the Muslim world.

But it was the press's turn to fight back as Bush spokesman Scott McClellan opened his briefing to questions.

Q With respect, who made you the editor of Newsweek? Do you think it's appropriate for you, at that podium, speaking with the authority of the President of the United States, to tell an American magazine what they should print?

MR. McCLELLAN: I'm not telling them. I'm saying that we would encourage them to help --

Q You're pressuring them.

MR. McCLELLAN: No, I'm saying that we would encourage them --

Q It's not pressure?

MR. McCLELLAN: Look, this report caused serious damage to the image of the United States abroad. And Newsweek has said that they got it wrong. I think Newsweek recognizes the responsibility they have. We appreciate the step that they took by retracting the story. Now we would encourage them to move forward and do all that they can to help repair the damage that has been done by this report. And that's all I'm saying. But, no, you're absolutely right, it's not my position to get into telling people what they can and cannot report....

Q Are you asking them to write a story about how great the American military is; is that what you're saying here?

MR. McCLELLAN: Elisabeth, let me finish my sentence. Our military --

Q You've already said what you're -- I know what -- how it ends.

MR. McCLELLAN: No, I'm coming to your question, and you're not letting me have a chance to respond. But our military goes out of their way to handle the Koran with care and respect. There are policies and practices that are in place. This report was wrong. Newsweek, itself, stated that it was wrong. And so now I think it's incumbent and -- incumbent upon Newsweek to do their part to help repair the damage. And they can do that through ways that they see best, but one way that would be good would be to point out what the policies and practices are in that part of the world, because it's in that region where this report has been exploited and used to cause lasting damage to the image of the United States of America. It has had serious consequences. And so that's all I'm saying, is that we would encourage them to take steps to help repair the damage. And I think that they recognize the importance of doing that. That's all I'm saying.

Q As far as the Newsweek article is concerned, first, how and where the story came from? And do you think somebody can investigate if it really happened at the base, and who told Newsweek? Because somebody wrote a story.

MR. McCLELLAN: I think Newsweek has talked about it. They took it --

-----

Simply amazing. But not surprising.

I am so glad you posted this,Zoom. I was just talking about it in another thread. Absolutely ridiculous. I am just furious at how they are attemptng to defend their lies(the press) and jump to each other's defense. I have never seen such spin in my life. Now it's Bush's fault that a bunch of extremist idiots went nuts and killed people because another member of the press was irresponsible and didn't check his facts. Just peachy. I'm sure it was Bush's fault that some loony put a finger in her Wendy's chili too. :bs1:

GotZoom said:
From Drudge:

Afghanistan's government said Tuesday that NEWSWEEK should be held responsible for damages caused by deadly anti-American demonstrations after the magazine alleged U.S. desecration of the Quran.

Afghanistan's government is right, and I hope they follow through and hold Newsweek's feet to the fire. The other Middle Eastern countries should follow Afghanistan's lead and demand that Newsweek pay for the damage and loss of life it's irresponsible article caused. Newsweek apparently learned nothing about irresponsible reporting from the Dan Rather case. Well, this time they have stirred up radical Islam. They'll be so lucky if they don't end up getting their building bombed to the ground with more needless loss of lives.

I've said it several times now but I believe that the smart Trial Lawyer would get in touch with the families effected, get them visas and plane tickets. Get them here then sue the ass off of Newsweek who has already admitted fault. It is a slam-dunk and they would make the Bank at the same time as showing the "arab street" where the responsibility lies in this case.

Forum List

Back