Now Insurers Must Cover 100% of Birth Control, Other Female Services

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
WASHINGTON (AP) — Health insurance plans must cover birth control as preventive care for women, with no copays, the Obama administration said Monday in a decision with far-reaching implications for health care as well as social mores.

The requirement is part of a broad expansion of coverage for women's preventive care under President Barack Obama's health care law. Also to be covered without copays are breast pumps for nursing mothers, an annual "well-woman" physical, screening for the virus that causes cervical cancer and for diabetes during pregnancy, counseling on domestic violence, and other services.

"These historic guidelines are based on science and existing (medical) literature and will help ensure women get the preventive health benefits they need," said Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius.

Insurers must cover birth control with no copays - Yahoo! News

These increasing mandates on insurers by the government is only going to fuel further increases in insurance costs for all Americans across the board. There is no reason why these listed services need 100% coverage. But hey, if we're going to go that route, why do only women get the benefit? If men are going to have to pay higher insurance costs, why aren't we getting free prostate exams, free condoms, and free "wellness" physicals? Considering that unemployment has hit men harder than women and women now make up the majority of college students isn't it about time the government stop treating them like they are incapable of providing for themselves?

It's ridiculous. You mean to tell me that birth control pills are more important than other meds? Why should sick people have to pay a copay for a life saving drug, but a fertile female does not? I don't get it. Anybody can afford five or ten bucks.

Breast pumps? Good Lord. Who's buddy has that contract?

Women may own their bodies but the government now has a 99 year triple net lease on it.

Wow. Obamacare gives the government total control.

How did we not see that coming?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk_HPs34usU]‪Congressman John Dingell: "It takes a long time to ... control the people"‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

the women are paying several thousand dollars a year for their insurance policy....i think the once a year gyno check up should be included in that fee just like a physical would be and all insurance policies that i have had, do cover this annual check up, without deductibles....so that part is nothing new.

I have no problems with a breast pump being covered in full either.

BC pills were not covered by insurance at all, in my youth....only the last decade and a half have i seen insurance companies moving to cover them. so, i think full coverage with no deductible is a reach....but, i'd rather people buying insurance get the full coverage 4 them than making us tax payers pay for them.....

These increasing mandates on insurers by the government is only going to fuel further increases in insurance costs for all Americans across the board. There is no reason why these listed services need 100% coverage. But hey, if we're going to go that route, why do only women get the benefit? If men are going to have to pay higher insurance costs, why aren't we getting free prostate exams, free condoms, and free "wellness" physicals? Considering that unemployment has hit men harder than women and women now make up the majority of college students isn't it about time the government stop treating them like they are incapable of providing for themselves?

You do realize you contradict your own post, correct? While either argument would be valid on it's own, together it's just a mish-mash of sorts.

You can't say in one sentence that it's wrong because costs are going to go up and then in the next complain that men aren't covered. Otherwise your first argument invalidates your second.

Personally, any increase in price is going to suck. The question becomes a matter of how much and the result of these changes. After all, about half of pregnancies are unplanned. I'd be interested in seeing the result this would have in changing that number. If it's by a significant amount, then the cost of premiums would likely be offset because of the would-be future costs of those children being born to the system.

You do realize you contradict your own post, correct? While either argument would be valid on it's own, together it's just a mish-mash of sorts.

You can't say in one sentence that it's wrong because costs are going to go up and then in the next complain that men aren't covered. Otherwise your first argument invalidates your second.

Personally, any increase in price is going to suck. The question becomes a matter of how much and the result of these changes. After all, about half of pregnancies are unplanned. I'd be interested in seeing the result this would have in changing that number. If it's by a significant amount, then the cost of premiums would likely be offset because of the would-be future costs of those children being born to the system.

And now that the Republicans have seen fit to defund Planned Parenthood, as Rightwinger said, this option is better than abortion (or having an unwanted child).

the women are paying several thousand dollars a year for their insurance policy....i think the once a year gyno check up should be included in that fee just like a physical would be and all insurance policies that i have had, do cover this annual check up, without deductibles....so that part is nothing new.

BC pills were not covered by insurance at all, in my youth....only the last decade and a half have i seen insurance companies moving to cover them. so, i think full coverage with no deductible is a reach....but, i'd rather people buying insurance get the full coverage 4 them than making us tax payers pay for them.....

boy are you uniformed. who do you think is gonna pay for them? If they can't afford birth control pills they sure as hell can't afford insurance payments. so that leaves 50% of us again toting the other 50% on our backs.

boy are you uniformed. who do you think is gonna pay for them? If they can't afford birth control pills they sure as hell can't afford insurance payments. so that leaves 50% of us again toting the other 50% on our backs.

Beats abortion

Beats abortion

no it doesn't

For once I agree with Modbert. If the free pill will reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies, it may be money well spent. However, I am not that optimistic.

Breast pumps are a convenience; not a life saving medical device. Absolutely ridiculous.

I don’t know, I am trying to get my head around my neighbor asking me to foot the bill for his daughters contraception, and then me asking him to foot the bill for my daughters abortion…….just cannot get my head into either one of those.

wasn't there supposed to be a codicil to obamacare via exec. order forbidding abortion form being paid for?

and Chanel, nothing is ever free;)

Last edited:
Preventive medicine saves money in the long run. I am all for covering birth control. I can't understand how conservatives could bitch about this, unwanted pregnancy, "welfare babies", and abortion.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Health insurance plans must cover birth control as preventive care for women, with no copays, the Obama administration said Monday in a decision with far-reaching implications for health care as well as social mores.

The requirement is part of a broad expansion of coverage for women's preventive care under President Barack Obama's health care law. Also to be covered without copays are breast pumps for nursing mothers, an annual "well-woman" physical, screening for the virus that causes cervical cancer and for diabetes during pregnancy, counseling on domestic violence, and other services.

"These historic guidelines are based on science and existing (medical) literature and will help ensure women get the preventive health benefits they need," said Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius.

Insurers must cover birth control with no copays - Yahoo! News

Dang! Just think of all the people who won't be around so that you can complain about them being on welfare!

For once I agree with Modbert. If the free pill will reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies, it may be money well spent. However, I am not that optimistic.

Breast pumps are a convenience; not a life saving medical device. Absolutely ridiculous.

That's not true. It's not debatable that breast milk is better for formula. However, it's hard to get young mothers who are below the poverty line to breast feed due to the inconvenience. Pumping allows them to store their own milk and ultimately have healthier babies and save money.

The tax payer ultimately pays for it anyways. Might as well try and subsidize some health efforts (i.e. screening) that tend to save money in the long run.

I was being facetious in the second part.

Forum List

Back