NOW gang wobbles on demand that Jerry Brown fire his wife for "whore"

Revere

Rookie
Jan 23, 2010
Watching you in my profile page
But they still endorse him...

Capitol Alert: NOW president: Politicians should stop using the word "whore"

The president of the National Organization for Women, Terry O'Neill, put out today what at first seemed like a predictable news release.

She said Democratic gubernatorial candidate Jerry Brown had taken a "necessary" step during Tuesday night's debate in apologizing for an unidentified campaign aide who was inadvertently recorded in a voice mail calling Republican rival Meg Whitman a "whore."

O'Neill's statement then took a harder tone by noting that Brown had said Tuesday about the use of the word, "That does not represent anything other than things that happen in a campaign."

"If so," O'Neill said, "that needs to change. While our California chapter's Political Action Committee voted to endorse Brown on the basis of his support for women's rights, the National Organization for Women clearly and unequivocally condemns calling Meg Whitman, or any woman, a whore. This term is hate speech that carries with it negative connotations associated with women, and it has no place in contemporary society."

O'Neill concluded, "NOW calls on Brown to fire any member of his staff who uses this word or any hate speech against women."

In an interview with The Bee Wednesday, O'Neill tried to soften the statement.

First she emphasized the word "uses," saying she was not calling for Brown to fire whoever used the word in the voice mail but to fire anyone who uses the word in the future. Brown has refused to identify the staff member who uttered the slur.

"I'm not asking Meg Whitman to fire Pete Wilson," O'Neill said, referring to the former governor and Whitman campaign chairman, who was quoted using the word in the 1990s while referring to the U.S. Congress.

"To me, let's use this as a teachable moment," O'Neill said. "It really not is a right word to use. Does it in any way undermine my belief that California NOW was right to endorse Jerry Brown? Of course not."

O'Neill had struck an even more conciliatory stance about the word's use on Friday, a day after news of the voice mail broke. That was the same day NOW's California chapter announced its endorsement of Brown.

"My point is that the word is not always used as a sexist and misogynistic attack," O'Neill told The Bee then. "It's not clear even reading the Salon piece (about the voice mail incident) that this was suggesting a sexist, misogynistic attack be mounted against Meg Whitman."

O'Neill had added Friday that "We could make a pledge that we not use the word 'whore' in political discourse and let's eliminate hate from political discourse as well."

Read more: Capitol Alert: NOW president: Politicians should stop using the word "whore"

Things like misogyny and "hate speech" only count if you don't carry that (D) next to your name.

How the National Association of Harpys even managed to maintain a shred of credibility and relevance after exploits of Rasputin Clintoon, I'll never be able to fathom.

LOL NOW, yeah, they're really relevant.

Not a fucking peep when Bill was using the office help as a humidor

I wonder what motivated them at this point to step up and say something when they've let so many other attacks on women slide.

But they still endorse him...

Capitol Alert: NOW president: Politicians should stop using the word "whore"

The president of the National Organization for Women, Terry O'Neill, put out today what at first seemed like a predictable news release.

She said Democratic gubernatorial candidate Jerry Brown had taken a "necessary" step during Tuesday night's debate in apologizing for an unidentified campaign aide who was inadvertently recorded in a voice mail calling Republican rival Meg Whitman a "whore."

O'Neill's statement then took a harder tone by noting that Brown had said Tuesday about the use of the word, "That does not represent anything other than things that happen in a campaign."

"If so," O'Neill said, "that needs to change. While our California chapter's Political Action Committee voted to endorse Brown on the basis of his support for women's rights, the National Organization for Women clearly and unequivocally condemns calling Meg Whitman, or any woman, a whore. This term is hate speech that carries with it negative connotations associated with women, and it has no place in contemporary society."

O'Neill concluded, "NOW calls on Brown to fire any member of his staff who uses this word or any hate speech against women."

In an interview with The Bee Wednesday, O'Neill tried to soften the statement.

First she emphasized the word "uses," saying she was not calling for Brown to fire whoever used the word in the voice mail but to fire anyone who uses the word in the future. Brown has refused to identify the staff member who uttered the slur.

"I'm not asking Meg Whitman to fire Pete Wilson," O'Neill said, referring to the former governor and Whitman campaign chairman, who was quoted using the word in the 1990s while referring to the U.S. Congress.

"To me, let's use this as a teachable moment," O'Neill said. "It really not is a right word to use. Does it in any way undermine my belief that California NOW was right to endorse Jerry Brown? Of course not."

O'Neill had struck an even more conciliatory stance about the word's use on Friday, a day after news of the voice mail broke. That was the same day NOW's California chapter announced its endorsement of Brown.

"My point is that the word is not always used as a sexist and misogynistic attack," O'Neill told The Bee then. "It's not clear even reading the Salon piece (about the voice mail incident) that this was suggesting a sexist, misogynistic attack be mounted against Meg Whitman."

O'Neill had added Friday that "We could make a pledge that we not use the word 'whore' in political discourse and let's eliminate hate from political discourse as well."

Read more: Capitol Alert: NOW president: Politicians should stop using the word "whore"

His wife? That was an awfully deep voice to be his wife. :eusa_whistle:

Have you seen that the NOW president just called Whitman a whore too?

California NOW President Calls Whitman 'Political Whore".

California NOW President Calls Whitman 'Political Whore'

They realized the comment was made about a Republican woman so it doesn't count.

Yup and it seems it will go down with Sandra Bernhard saying she will have Palin Gang raped.

Sandra Bernhard issues 'gang rape' warning to Sarah Palin

I do not recall NOW condemning that. Seems such horrid calls to do terrible things and call horrid name only are a problem if they are directed at some not all-- and that in itself is very telling. They are nothing but a sham of an organization if they do not speak out against the above and or try to make excuses for some.

Forum List

Back