November 21, 1969 = The Internet is Born

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
ARPANET.jpg

Dos commands to enter your software and agonizingly slow dial up modems. How many of you were even born when this happened?

By Community Team November 21st, 2018

On this day in 1969 the first permanent ARPANET link was established and put into service. ARPANET or Advanced Research Projects Agency Network was an early computer network that used packet-switching and the protocol suite TCP/IP, technologies that became the foundation of the modern Internet. It was developed by computer scientist J.C.R. Licklider, Robert Taylor and many other researchers of the 1960s for the U.S. Department of Defense’s Advanced Research Projects Agency or DARPA. On November 21st, 1969 it was used to connect a computer at UCLA with another from the Stanford Research Institute. The following month, the entire four-node network was established.

From Today in Tech - 1969 - SourceForge Community Blog

ARPANET.jpg

Dos commands to enter your software and agonizingly slow dial up modems. How many of you were even born when this happened?

I was already borned and raiseded. Back in my day we had to carve out messages on stone tablets and send them by carrier pigeons.

I actually used a PDP-10 and bought a NOVA computer in the 70's.

Al Gore crafted the, High Performance Computing and Communication Act of 1991. That let the internet go from government use to public use. It doesn't seem that long ago to me. People mocked Gore for "inventing" the internet, but he never meant that. He was instrumental in brining it to the public.

Forum List

Back