Novak Talks: Raises Questions For Fitzgerald

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
July 12th, 2006

Yesterday, Bob Novak reported that

For nearly the entire time of his investigation, Fitzgerald knew—independent of me—the identity of the sources I used in my column of July 14, 2003. A federal investigation was triggered when I reported that former Ambassador Joseph Wilson’s wife, Valerie Plame Wilson, was employed by the CIA and helped initiate his 2002 mission to Niger. That Fitzgerald did not indict any of these sources may indicate his conclusion that none of them violated the Intelligence Identities Protection Act.

Notably, Novak states that by January 12 of 2004 Fitzgerald had waivers from the three people in the government with whom he had discussed the Mission to Niger (Harlow, the CIA’s press officer who confirmed Plame’s employment at the agency; Rove, who responded to Novak’s inquiry that he’d heard the same thing; and Novak’s original source, who refuses to release Novak to make his name public, the man whose identity Fitzgerald has not charged and continues to keep secret. (This individual is almost certainly Richard Armitage, Colin Powell’s Deputy Secretary of State. The same man who almost certainly was Bob Woodward’s source as well.)

Novak adds that he got Plame’s name from Joseph A. Wilson IV’s own biography in Who’s Who, establishing yet again that Ambassador Munchausen was not exactly the sort of husband a cautious CIA would choose for an agent whose identity it meant to shield from public eyes.

Today (Wednesday, July 12, 2006) Novak will appear on the Special Report with Brit Hume and Hannity & Colmes shows on Fox News Channel to be further interviewed about his disclosures, something now permitted since the Special Prosecutor has released him from his obligation to remain silent while the investigation proceeded.

The Fitzgerald case falls apart

I take it that the nod to Novak signals the long Fitzgerald circus is breaking up the tents and moving on, having succeeded only in tying up the time and money of the hapless White House staffers whom he enmeshed in this preposterous long-running carnival of misadventure and misdirection. His accomplishments consist of smearing the reputation of one of the key warriors against terror, the brilliant and hard-working Lewis Libby, and the added burden on an already pressed White House staff.

That the circus was about to close was obvious during the discovery proceedings in May. During those hearings, Libby’s counsel argued that he should be entitled to notes not yet provided to him (because not in the Prosecutor’s possession). In argument, that counsel argued from what he did have that there was much more in Time’s and the New York Time’s possession that was exculpatory to his client to which Libby was entitled. For example:

NOW, YOUR HONOR, MR. COOPER TOOK NOTES—HE SAT THERE AND TYPED ON HIS COMPUTER AS HE TALKED TO MR. LIBBY—OF EVERYTHING THEY TALKED ABOUT. WE HAVE THOSE. THERE IS NO REFERENCE TO THE WIFE WHATSOEVER.IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE CALL WITH MR. LIBBY, MR. COOPER SENT TO HIS EDITOR AN E-MAIL DESCRIBING THE IMPORTANT THINGS THAT MR. LIBBY HAD SAID. THERE IS NO REFERENCE TO THE WIFE. NONE WHATSOEVER.

THE COURT: YOU HAVE THAT E-MAIL, TOO, I ASSUME.

MR. JEFFRESS: YES, WE DO. THAT’S WHAT THEY PRODUCED TO THE SPECIAL PROSECUTOR AND WHAT THE GRAND JURY HAD.

THERE IS ANOTHER E-MAIL. AGAIN, WE HAVE THIS ONE.THERE IS AN E-MAIL BY MR. COOPER, AGAIN TO HIS EDITOR, ON JULY 16, FOUR DAYS AFTER HIS CONVERSATION WITH MR. LIBBY AND FIVE DAYS AFTER HIS CONVERSATION WITH MR. ROVE, ABOUT THEARTICLE THEY ARE PLANNING TO WRITE IN WHICH THEY ARE GOING TO MENTION THE WIFE. AND THE E-MAIL SAYS—TALKS ABOUT HIM HAVING AN ADMINISTRATION SOURCE FOR THE INFORMATION ABOUT MS. WILSON.

AND I SUBMIT TO YOUR HONOR THERE IS—AS YOU CANSEE, THE CREDIBILITY OF MR. COOPER WITH RESPECT TO HIS DESCRIPTION THAT MR. LIBBY CONFIRMED MR. PLAME’S EPLOYMENT BY THE C.I.A. IS GOING TO BE VERY MUCH AT ISSUE IN THIS CASE. AND THAT IS WHAT CASES ARE ALL ABOUT. AND WE SHOULD BE ENTITLED TO ANYTHING THAT MR. COOPER HAS SAID OR THAT OTHERS HAVE SAID OR DONE, SUCH AS MR. MASSIMO TALKING TO MR. WILSON ON THE BASIS OF WHAT COOPER SAID.AND THAT KIND OF INFORMATION IS DIRECTLY RELEVANT TO THE CROSS-EXAMINATION, AND WE SUBMIT THAT IT SHOULD BE ENFORCED. AND CERTAINLY WE HAVE ESTABLISHED SPECIFICITY WITH RESPECT TO THAT.

THE OTHER THING I WOULD SAY IS THIS IS THE FIRST IHAVE HEARD THAT TIME HAS A DOCUMENT THAT REFERS TO MS. PLAME. NOW, PERHAPS, THAT’S MR. COOPER’S COMMUNICATION WITH MR. MASSIMO, OR PERHAPS IT IS MR. MASSIMO’S NOTES WITH MR. WILSON. I DON’T KNOW, BUT CERTAINLY IF THERE IS A DOCUMENT THAT DOES REFER TO MS. PLAME PRIOR TO JULY 14, WE SUBMIT THAT THAT’S RELEVANT AND SHOULD BE PRODUCED AS WELL.

THAT’S ALL I HAVE ON TIME AND COOPER, YOUR HONOR.

Judge Walton subsequently ordered Time to produce all of its documentation on the conversation with Libby to him. After reading these documents, he ruled that no matter how Cooper testified on the stand at trial this documentation would impeach his testimony and he ordered Time to turn it over to Libby.

Thus, it was obvious from that point on that 2 of the 5 counts in the indictment, those based on Cooper’s testimony were not likely to make it to trial.

As to the New York Times, the Judge indicated that their documentation might impeach Judith Miller’s already befuddling testimony, but that couldn’t be ascertained until she testified and therefore Libby could not get those items in discovery until after she had testified at trial. Not as definitive a setback for the prosecutor but not a good sign for a successful prosecution either.

(As for MSNBC’s documentation which Libby also sought, except for notes by Andrea Mitchell which seemed unclear, the network claimed it had no documentation whatsoever. In any event, it is Tim Russert’s testimony that he and Libby never discussed Plame or Wilson at all, so it hardly advances the claim that Libby was part of a conspiracy to vengefully out Plame.)

In sum, the Cooper counts were worthless, the Miller testimony cited in the indictment only slightly better but still quite problematic, and the Russert counts added nothing to the case as Fitzgerald had originally presented it to the press and public (a vengeful act of reprisal against a “whistleblower”) since the witness said they never discussed it all.

The case was now a far cry indeed from the heady days of the original press conference announcing the indictment in which Fitzgerald grossly overstated the strength of his case and tarred Libby.

New questions

In fact, several new questions arise as a result of Bob Novak’s disclosures.

If Fitzgerald knew by January 12, 2004 who the leaker was and that it wasn’t Libby or Rove, why did he later call them to testify before the grand jury? Was it simply to determine whether he could trap them into making perjurious statements, something the law does not permit?

If Fitzgerald knew by January 12, 2004 who the leaker was and knew it wasn’t Libby, why in August of 2004 did he represent to the Court that Miller’s testimony was “essential to determine whether or not Lewis Libby… has committed crimes involving the improper disclosure of national defense information or perjury”? Keep in mind that Miller spent considerable time behind bars to compel her testimony.

If Fitzgerald has known since January 12, 2004 of the name of the leaker, why is he still protecting him, and why is he treating the leaker’s (that is, Armitage’s) source, who is almost certainly Marc Grossman, former Under Secretary of State for political affairs, the man reportedly the source for the first accusations against Libby and Rove, as an impartial witness to the events? In the discovery process it turned out that Grossman was a longtime friend of Wilson’s, dating to their college days at the University of California—Santa Barbara. Is it likely that the famous prosecutor missed this fact?

Finally (and I hope to report more fully on this soon) what role, exactly, did former Deputy Attorney General Comey, who set up this extra-statutory (and I think unconstitutional) appointment of his friend Patrick Fitzgerald, play in steering Fitzgerald toward the mistaken notion that Libby was lying, not Wilson or the CIA? How hard did his office work to ascertain the truth of the essential elements of the referral—that Plame was covert and that there had been harm to national security in the disclosure of her name—when the prosecutor fudged those issues in the indictment and at the press conference announcing it and has since backed off of those claims at all? Was that office simply trying to hamstring the Vice President’s office which it viewed as a rival for the President’s ear in determining the legal policies to be employed in fighting the war on terror? Did the statement of Congressman Hoekstra, chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, revealed in the New York Times, to the effect that the Plame case was a set up by an anti-Administration clique in the CIA finally persuade Fitzgerald that he’s been badly misled once again into indicting an innocent man?

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles.php?article_id=5664

http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=15988

What a set-up this was by enemies of the Bush Administration, and the American taxpayer had to foot the bill for an investigation that was a charade from the get-go! I hope someone in Washington, D.C. will send the NYT a bill for this needless government expense. Anyone who knew that Matt Cooper was involved in this escapade should have been highly suspicious. His wife was employed in the White House in an important position during the Clinton Administration.

Joseph Wilson is a farce. He wasn't even a real ambassador, he was the Ambassador to Gabon, and since then insists he be called "Ambassador". He was never sent to Niger to investigate uranium sales by Cheney. I mean what the hell was he going to do, ask the Nigerians 'hey, did you guys sell some Uranium illegally to Saddam?' He never had any kind of authority to conduct inspections or interrogate Nigerian officials. He is a dumbass Clinton appointee whose aspiration is life is to have a TV movie made about him.
He was part of the Kerry campaign and dreamed up this whole story in order to attack Bush. When Novak and other reporters started their investigations of course they found out who his wife was, because as they dug they found out Cheney never "sent him" to Niger, so when they dug more to find out who, they found out it was the stupid wife. That she was in the CIA and recommened her husband be sent to Niger.
She was no secret "covert agent" either, yet after the story breaks she can be seen wearing a scarf and oversized sunglasses to play her role as "secret agent" who doesn't want to be seen.
Gee I bet you Libs out there can't wait to watch the TV movie of James Bond and his "secret agent" wife.
What a crock of shit:

Attachments

• $031202_VF_ValeriePlame.jpg
    $031202_VF_ValeriePlame.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 86
theHawk said:
Joseph Wilson is a farce. He wasn't even a real ambassador, he was the Ambassador to Gabon, and since then insists he be called "Ambassador". He was never sent to Niger to investigate uranium sales by Cheney. I mean what the hell was he going to do, ask the Nigerians 'hey, did you guys sell some Uranium illegally to Saddam?' He never had any kind of authority to conduct inspections or interrogate Nigerian officials. He is a dumbass Clinton appointee whose aspiration is life is to have a TV movie made about him.
He was part of the Kerry campaign and dreamed up this whole story in order to attack Bush. When Novak and other reporters started their investigations of course they found out who his wife was, because as they dug they found out Cheney never "sent him" to Niger, so when they dug more to find out who, they found out it was the stupid wife. That she was in the CIA and recommened her husband be sent to Niger.
She was no secret "covert agent" either, yet after the story breaks she can be seen wearing a scarf and oversized sunglasses to play her role as "secret agent" who doesn't want to be seen.
Gee I bet you Libs out there can't wait to watch the TV movie of James Bond and his "secret agent" wife.
What a crock of shit:

Where can I get some of whatever the hell you are smoking?

Oh BTW, you do know that Team America was a gigantic satire for the war on terorism right?

PsuedoGhost said:

Oh BTW, you do know that Team America was a gigantic satire for the war on terorism right?

I suppose we can expect Fitzgerald to drop all charges in this whole farce any day now!!

Bonnie said:
I suppose we can expect Fitzgerald to drop all charges in this whole farce any day now!!

I'm having a real hard time with this. Andy McCarthy who is often at the corner, is good friends with Fitzgerald. He respects him to to the umpteenth when it comes to prosecution.

Fitzgerald has kicked butt here in Illinois, one of the most corrupt states in the Union. I know Lee Daniels personally. He was a few years ahead of me in school, but was considered a 'go getter.' Last I heard tonight, he left for jail for a year. I mean this guy was 'sqeaaky clean'. When the rest of us were getting stoned by whatever means, not Lee.

And so forth for years afterwards. He pled guilty. It's the environment and Fitzgerald is shedding light. Same with Ryan, and he's tring with Daley. Lots of convictions.

My guess, Fitzgerald may have been misled, morelikely your guys are nearing the toast state...

Kathianne said:
I'm having a real hard time with this. Andy McCarthy who is often at the corner, is good friends with Fitzgerald. He respects him to to the umpteenth when it comes to prosecution.

Fitzgerald has kicked butt here in Illinois, one of the most corrupt states in the Union. I know Lee Daniels personally. He was a few years ahead of me in school, but was considered a 'go getter.' Last I heard tonight, he left for jail for a year. I mean this guy was 'sqeaaky clean'. When the rest of us were getting stoned by whatever means, not Lee.

And so forth for years afterwards. He pled guilty. It's the environment and Fitzgerald is shedding light. Same with Ryan, and he's tring with Daley. Lots of convictions.

My guess, Fitzgerald may have been misled, morelikely your guys are nearing the toast state...

Im sure when he was appointed to this case he took and takes it very seriously, but even he must know at this point unless he's sitting on some bombshell that this case looks like it's collapsing unto itself. A mans career has been ruined over the allegations, and for a while even cast a shadow on Bush. I hope he will do the right thing soon.

PsuedoGhost said:
What part did you not understand? Maybe I'll clear it up for you-
1) Wilson was never "ordered" by the government, much less the White House, to "investigate" anything in Niger. He was on an unpaid trip set up by his wife.
2) He never filed an official report when he came back from his fantasy James Bond vaction....oops I mean his "investigation".
3) Joe Wilson started working for the Kerry campaign May of 2003. A month later he published his New York Times story "What I Didn't Find in Africa". Claiming that Bush had his report (the one he never filed) and ignored it. He never said Cheney sent him, but said that the CIA told him that the VP had questions about a report he filed. Then the lapdog media took this to mean Cheney had ordered this report, and thats where it spirals out of reality because he never corrected the media.
4) The Bush administration received its intel reports about Niger Uranium sales from the British and French. Not some non-existant report by 'Secret Agent Wilson.'
5) Wilson lied and said that his wife did not send him to Niger. However the Senate Intelligence Committe obatained the memo from Valeria Plame saying Wilson "has good relations with both the PM and the former Minister of Mines" who could possibly "shed light on this sort of activity". Joe's response to the committe was "I don't see it as a recommendation to send me". Riiiight.

Maybe you need to stop smoking whatever the liberal lapdog media spews out for you.

It was a satire that made fun of everything. Especially idiots like you that slurp up anything the liberal elite spew out.

See there, there you go again you infidel extremist. Backing up your statements with well researched facts. That is wrong man. That pretty much leaves no more room for inuendo and BS. That's the political insensativity that I'm trying to point out on here. You right wing fanatics leave the libs standing with their mouths open entirely toooooooo much! I mean this looks like nothing more than bullying. Just down right bullying.

YOU OUGHT TO BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF< I HOPE YOUR HAPPY>

If you keep doing this shit you are not gonna have any lefties on here to pick on.

I'm running out of patience and time for discussing the long term stuff. I know Fitzgerald had reasonable people on his side, McCarthy being one. Being from Chicago area, I can honestly say it's been his work that has cleaned up as mcuh as possible, at state and Chicago level.

Look! more boloney from the MSM!

Former CIA officer sues Cheney, Libby, Rove over leak

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/07/13/cialeak.lawsuit.ap/index.html

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The CIA officer whose identity was leaked to reporters sued Vice President Dick Cheney, his former top aide and presidential adviser Karl Rove on Thursday, accusing them and other White House officials of conspiring to destroy her career.

In a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court, Valerie Plame and her husband, Joseph Wilson, a former U.S. ambassador, accused Cheney, Rove and I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby of revealing Plame's CIA identity in seeking revenge against Wilson for criticizing the Bush administration's motives in Iraq.

Several news organizations wrote about Plame after syndicated columnist Robert Novak named her in a column on July 14, 2003. Novak's column appeared eight days after Wilson alleged in an opinion piece in The New York Times that the administration had twisted prewar intelligence on Iraq to justify going to war.

The CIA had sent Wilson to Niger in early 2002 to determine whether there was any truth to reports that Saddam Hussein's government had tried to buy yellowcake uranium from Niger to make a nuclear weapon. Wilson discounted the reports, but the allegation nevertheless wound up in President Bush's 2003 State of the Union address.

Nice of them to omit the fact that the Bush administration got its intelligence reports from British and French, not Wilson's "report", that doesn't even exist.

Book deals, New York Times op-ed pieces, Vanity Fair photo shoots, suing the VP and his cronies....its only a matter of time before we'll get to see "Joseph Powers: International Wannabe of Mystery" in theatres!

:duh3:

It looks like Joe and Valerie have contracted the "Cindy Sheehan" disease. They've fallen in love with seeing their faces/names in the newspapers/on TV and have found a new way to extend their 15 minutes of fame. Did you notice they did not even include Robert Novak in their suit? The frivolous vendetta against the Bush Administration--although now proven to be baseless--continues. Wonder who they've hired as their attorneys? Whoever they are, I'm sure they're part of the "hate Bush" crowd.

Former CIA officer: Cheney, Rove engaged in 'whispering campaign'

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/07/14/cialeak.lawsuit.ap/index.html

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Former CIA officer Valerie Plame and her husband, former Ambassador Joseph Wilson, said Friday they decided to sue Vice President Dick Cheney and presidential adviser Karl Rove because they engaged in a "whispering campaign" to destroy her career.

Plame told a news conference that "I and my former colleagues trusted the government to protect us in our jobs" and said it "betrayed that trust. I'd much rather be continuing my career as a public servant than as a plaintiff in a lawsuit."
Pssst, if you wanted your identidy to be kept a "secret", you husband should probably not of written an article for the New York Times attacking the President.

Said Wilson: "We are under no illusions about how tough this fight will be. But we believe the time has come to hold those who use their official positions to exact personal revenge accountable and responsible for their actions." His wife said they decided to pursue the lawsuit with "heavy hearts."

In the suit filed Thursday in U.S. District Court, Plame and her husband said that Cheney, Rove and Cheney's former chief of staff, I. Lewis Libby, leaked her CIA status to reporters to punish Wilson for criticizing the Bush administration's motives in Iraq. (Watch Plame explain why they filed the lawsuit -- 2:14)
Pssst, well since your hubby led the lapdog media to believe Cheney sent him and they refuted that, they also had to answer the next logical question that the media was asking them...'who the hell did send him?' :poke:

Plame's identity as a CIA officer was revealed in a July 14, 2003, article by syndicated columnist Robert Novak. At the time, Plame's job as an operations officer was classified information. Novak's column appeared eight days after Wilson alleged in an opinion piece in The New York Times that the Bush administration had twisted prewar intelligence on Iraq to justify going to war.

The lawsuit accuses Cheney, Libby, Rove and 10 unnamed administration officials or political operatives of putting the Wilsons and their children's lives at risk by exposing Plame, who left the CIA in January and is writing a book about what's happened to her.

At Friday's news conference, Wilson noted he had written an op-ed criticizing the administration's defense of going to war in Iraq, saying "I exercised my civil duty to hold my government to account."
How noble, they should make a TV movie about you!

"This attack was based on lies and disinformation and it included the compromise of Valerie's identity," he added. "I have confidence in the American system of justice and this suit is about the pursuit of justice."

The CIA had sent Wilson to Niger in early 2002 to determine whether there was any truth to reports that Iraq had made a deal to acquire yellowcake uranium from the government of Niger to make a nuclear weapon. Wilson discounted the reports, but the allegation that Iraq was trying to buy uranium from Africa ended up in President Bush's 2003 State of the Union address.
Where is the documentation that Wilson ever "refuted" the reports (from British and French)? Oh we wouldn't need anything like a copy of this 'refute', we'll just take a Kerry campaigner for his word, he can't be a liar.

If the Wilsons' lawsuit survives the legal maneuvering that usually occurs in such cases, it could be embarrassing for Republicans in the next presidential election if Cheney and other top White House officials are forced to answer questions in depositions.
Gee that wouldn't be the motivation would it?

Mark Corallo, a spokesman for Rove, said, "Without even having had a chance to review the complaint, it is clear that the allegations are absolutely and utterly without merit."

Barbara Comstock, a Libby spokesman, declined comment.

Justice Department lawyers plan to review the lawsuit to determine how to respond, said Charles Miller, a department spokesman.

The Wilsons' lawyer said in the lawsuit that it "concerns the intentional and malicious exposure by senior officials of the federal government of ... (Plame), whose job it was to gather intelligence to make the nation safer and who risked her life for her country."
by sitting at a desk in Virgina? or perhaps during her photo shoots with Vanity Fair? :duh3:

Instead of confronting Wilson on his criticism, the lawsuit said, the White House officials "embarked on an anonymous 'whispering campaign' designed to discredit ... (the Wilsons) and to deter other critics from speaking out."
How dare anyone try to discredit absolute liars that have zero evidence to back up their silly claims.

The lawsuit alleges that Cheney, Libby and Rove "secretly spread rumors" that Plame used her position at the CIA to get her husband sent on the Niger trip. It accuses the White House officials of violating the Wilsons' constitutional rights to equal protection and freedom of speech. It also accuses the officials of violating the couple's privacy rights.
Actually, according the Valerie's own memo, she did get the CIA to send her husband on the Niger trip. That means Cheney, Libby and Rove were telling....the truth! *gasp*

The civil lawsuit seeks unspecified damages, attorneys fees and costs.

Libby is the only administration official charged in connection with the leak investigation. He faces trial in January on perjury and obstruction-of-justice charges, accused of lying to FBI agents and a federal grand jury about when he learned Plame's identity and what he subsequently told reporters.

Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald told Rove's lawyer last month that he had decided not to seek criminal charges against Rove.

Forum List

Back