Nothing to See Here: Smart Devices Edition

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
Recordings from yet another Amazon-owned smart home device are being reviewed by a team of human workers, again raising concerns that audio and video captured by such devices may not be as private as some customers might assume.

Citing sources familiar with the program, Bloomberg reported Thursday that “dozens” of workers for the e-commerce giant who are based in Romania and India are tasked with reviewing footage collected by Cloud Cams—Amazon’s app-controlled, Alexa-compatible indoor security devices—to help improve AI functionality and better determine potential threats. Bloomberg reported that at one point, these human workers were responsible for reviewing and annotating roughly 150 security snippets of up to 30 seconds in length each day that they worked.

Two sources who spoke with Bloomberg told the outlet that some clips depicted private imagery, such as what Bloomberg described as “rare instances of people having sex.” An Amazon spokesperson told Gizmodo that reviewed clips are submitted either through employee trials or customer feedback submissions for improving the service.

Human Employees Are Viewing Clips from Amazon's Home Surveillance Service

I, for one, welcome our new Overlords.

That's why I build all my own home security devices. Motion sensors, security cams, smoke and guess detectors, door sensors and locks... all Wi-Fi connected witth cheap ESP and Arduino boards and Raspberry Pi computers.

For a small fraction of the cost.

BwM1RWrCQAE2NK8.jpg

Forum List

Back