Nothing more true than this...?

Reasoning

Apr 15, 2010
"Those who do not learn from history, are doomed to repeat it"

In all of my studies & throughout the entirety of my political awakening, nothing has struck me as more profound than this quote. It never ceases to strike me to my core when I delve into another historical time period only to be slapped in the face with the disturbingly identical parallels between then & now...

Today?

The French Revolution...

What led to the outbreak of revolution?

Massive economic class disparity was the bedrock of discontent in France. Central economic planning, foreign interventionism, & population growth all put massive strain on the power structure of the country. Inept leadership & a massive failure to acknowledge the gravity of the problems plaguing the country led to a calm, & ignorant stroll towards a deadly cliff.

Sound familiar?

In all of my studies & throughout the entirety of my political awakening, nothing has struck me as more profound than this quote. It never ceases to strike me to my core when I delve into another historical time period only to be slapped in the face with the disturbingly identical parallels between then & now...

Today?

The French Revolution...

Massive economic class disparity was the bedrock of discontent in France. Central economic planning, foreign interventionism, & population growth all put massive strain on the power structure of the country. Inept leadership & a massive failure to acknowledge the gravity of the problems plaguing the country led to a calm, & ignorant stroll towards a deadly cliff.

Sound familiar?

Sure does. Corporate interests running amuck and controlling the politicians is what led to the rise of organized labor whereupon the little guys, banded together, finally had a say and led to the creation of the middle class as we know it.

And that saying will become more profound as the pendulum swings back and tries to return us to the time before child labor laws, 40 hour work weeks, overtime and worker safety laws.

But the voice of the people will not be silenced as we are seeing in Wisconsin and other parts of our great nation.

Today?

The French Revolution...

Sound familiar?

Sure does. Corporate interests running amuck and controlling the politicians is what led to the rise of organized labor whereupon the little guys, banded together, finally had a say and led to the creation of the middle class as we know it.

And that saying will become more profound as the pendulum swings back and tries to return us to the time before child labor laws, 40 hour work weeks, overtime and worker safety laws.

But the voice of the people will not be silenced as we are seeing in Wisconsin and other parts of our great nation.

sure blame the corporations.

There certainly is plenty of blame to go around. It's all tied together. As a libertarian I tend to point to a general failure of the populace at large to think critically. In my opinion this intellectual deficit can be attributed to the great mistake of public school systems in their current form.

There certainly is plenty of blame to go around. It's all tied together. As a libertarian I tend to point to a general failure of the populace at large to think critically. In my opinion this intellectual deficit can be attributed to the great mistake of public school systems in their current form.

Not all evils can be attributed to public education. Some of it has to go to decadent society we live in with all the pleasures you seek easily available and affordable. Why learn history or math when all all you have to do is look it up on the computer or have a phone.

Some of us as individuals learn from our mistakes (our history) and usually are not doomed to repeat them but alas, some people never learn.

Not all evils can be attributed to public education.

I would never claim that all evils can be attributed to our current form of public education, however I do believe that most would agree that one of the largest root causes of our decay as a country can be attributed to our populace's failure to think critically about anything anymore.

I think shit has a tendency to recur whether we remember it or not. Besides--there's too much history to learn if you plan on trying to use it to avoid mistakes.
( add to the fact that some stuff works now and then).

I think shit has a tendency to recur whether we remember it or not. Besides--there's too much history to learn if you plan on trying to use it to avoid mistakes.

I would say yes & no. I don't think it can be denied that when you have a populace that is generally well informed about the most recent past centuries, such a society is much less likely to make the same mistakes.

I would say yes & no. I don't think it can be denied that when you have a populace that is generally well informed about the most recent past centuries, such a society is much less likely to make the same mistakes.

Hind sight is 20/20. We make mistakes now that we won't even realize are mistakes until later and at that time someone will be able to cite a previous time in history that the same mistake occured.
The big pendulum swings back and forth over long periods of time. People are too worried about temites to remember the big stuff.

Hind sight is 20/20. We make mistakes now that we won't even realize are mistakes until later and at that time someone will be able to cite a previous time in history that the same mistake occured.
The big pendulum swings back and forth over long periods of time. People are too worried about temites to remember the big stuff.

some refuse to see the mistakes.

the economy is fundamentally sound.
Reagan proved defecits do not matter.
If the market is doing good so is America.
and on and on.

Letting politicians handle our money has been a mistake we have been making for how many years now ?
We're so screwed.

Today?

The French Revolution...

Sound familiar?

sure blame the corporations.

Reasoning, I suspect that in your last sentence you refer to the degree to which history as a study as described in the OP has become a tool of indoctrination, and less so a tool of critical thinking. I strongly agree with you if that is your intent.

Cynicism is taught as a kind of substitute for critical thinking in our schools in more recent years. But it's hard to live down the past when we focus too much more on our pimples than on our noble acts.

A case in point is how we are taught (or not taught) the reason for the "less than a full person" status given to slaves who were held in bondage, without suffrage of the vote in our constitution shows an extreme failure of critical thinking and loss of a valuable lesson of history, IMO.

Last edited:
Letting politicians handle our money has been a mistake we have been making for how many years now ?
We're so screwed.

Those damned founding fathers!

funded a revoloution on credit!
Founded our country on credit, then whe whiskey tax...
Down hill ever since.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back