Notebooks: Windows 10 on ARM-CPUs underway

A hardware-based emulation of a x86 based system allows normal Windows programs to be executed. Very interesting. This will surely reduce the power consumption and price.

PC vendors trying out Qualcomm/Windows products
Okay....... And........? :dunno:
Entirely up to you...
You're referencing architecture I'm completely unfamiliar with so obviously I don't see the direction or benefits. :dunno:
These CPUs are for smartphones. They are very power saving. ARM is nothing new, though. Look it up on Wikipedia.

A hardware-based emulation of a x86 based system allows normal Windows programs to be executed. Very interesting. This will surely reduce the power consumption and price.

Entirely up to you...
You're referencing architecture I'm completely unfamiliar with so obviously I don't see the direction or benefits. :dunno:
These CPUs are for smartphones. They are very power saving. ARM is nothing new, though. Look it up on Wikipedia.
I know what ARM is. Can this be used for anything other than phones and tablets/notebooks? Otherwise it's of no use to me as I use laptops and desktops for computing and phones for making calls.

Entirely up to you...
I know what ARM is. Can this be used for anything other than phones and tablets/notebooks? Otherwise it's of no use to me as I use laptops and desktops for computing and phones for making calls.
For anything. Maybe you did not understand. These notebooks can be used like "normal" computers. They even ran World of Tanks on a demonstration device.
The performance of the notebooks is not yet clear as the emulation costs performance. However, the Snapdragon 835 has a special hardware-support for an emulation. That means the emulation of the x86 system is outsourced to a special new part of the CPU and should not affect its actual performance when running x86 programs including Windows. There are not yet official benchmarks for the Snapdragon 835 but for its predecessor:

zmqvyt25.jpg

Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 MSM8996 SoC

That means you have a decent performance and a very good energy efficiency. As another benefit, a Snapdragon is a System on a Chip (SoC) and includes also a GPU, a 2,3,4G modem, W-Lan, Bluetooth and more. Additionally, if you have a SSD installed the notebook will never make an operating noise due to passive cooling.

Last edited:
ARM is also used for other android devices, like the android boxes I been using for home theater. I just slapped a htpc together using AMD on a ASROCK board. One disadvantage I've heard is the video decoding isn't quite up to snuff with ARM systems but they weren't really built for it either. All the videos look great now while at least half had some goofiness to them before so I guess it's true.

Entirely up to you...
For anything. Maybe you did not understand. These notebooks can be used like "normal" computers. They even ran World of Tanks on a demonstration device.
The performance of the notebooks is not yet clear as the emulation costs performance. However, the Snapdragon 835 has a special hardware-support for an emulation. That means the emulation of the x86 system is outsourced to a special new part of the CPU and should not affect its actual performance when running x86 programs including Windows. There are not yet official benchmarks for the Snapdragon 835 but for its predecessor:

zmqvyt25.jpg

That means you have a decent performance and a very good energy efficiency. As another benefit, a Snapdragon is a System on a Chip (SoC) and includes also a GPU, a 2,3,4G modem, W-Lan, Bluetooth and more. Additionally, if you have a SSD installed the notebook will never make an operating noise due to passive cooling.
You miss my point. I don't use notebooks/tablets or phones because they're too small and I prefer a keyboard (that my huge fingers can easily use) and mouse and I don't mean an on screen keyboard either. Matter of fact I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 (3 in 1) that I'll sell ya considering it spends 99.9% of the time not being used, that was a waste of a grand..........

ARM is also used for other android devices, like the android boxes I been using for home theater. I just slapped a htpc together using AMD on a ASROCK board. One disadvantage I've heard is the video decoding isn't quite up to snuff with ARM systems but they weren't really built for it either. All the videos look great now while at least half had some goofiness to them before so I guess it's true.
It should be perfectly fine with videos.

"The HD 8400 integrates both UVD 4.2 and VCE 2.0 video encoders."
AMD Radeon HD 8400

Entirely up to you...

zmqvyt25.jpg

You miss my point. I don't use notebooks/tablets or phones because they're too small and I prefer a keyboard (that my huge fingers can easily use) and mouse and I don't mean an on screen keyboard either. Matter of fact I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 (3 in 1) that I'll sell ya considering it spends 99.9% of the time not being used, that was a waste of a grand..........
Still you could plug in monitor (if output present) , keyboard and mouse and use it as desktop replacement.

zmqvyt25.jpg

Still you could plug in monitor (if output present) , keyboard and mouse and use it as desktop replacement.
Why bother? I'm happy with my 18" laptops and big desktops.

zmqvyt25.jpg

Whatever you like. I am considering to get one some time. Depends on price and quality.

It should be perfectly fine with videos.

"The HD 8400 integrates both UVD 4.2 and VCE 2.0 video encoders."
AMD Radeon HD 8400
I was talking about the android boxes I've used. Yes, my AMD w/Radeon is doing superb so good move on their part.

zmqvyt25.jpg

Whatever you like. I am considering to get one some time. Depends on price and quality.
If that's what you want then more power to ya. Heck, I use my smartphone so rarely that other than the occasional convenience factor I wonder why I even have it, most calls I get are sales and charity requests and that's only about 3 times a month.

Forum List

Back