Not Yours To Give

Discussion in 'History' started by Kevin_Kennedy, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    Not Yours To Give | Foundation for Economic Education

2. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,287
    Does a soldier's wife have no rights as a citizen of the nation? Are rights only rights when they support the wealthy and the corporations? Plenty of proof of those rights, but human care rights, hm, what BS you guys live in.

The thread starter should have followed the advice given by the inhuman a-hole who gave that small bit of stupid - he should have kept his insensitive horse manure to himself. We exist for a mere second and yet some occupy that second as fools.

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." John Kenneth Galbraith

3. daveman

daveman Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,758
    What's stopping you from giving your money to the causes you support?

4. Kevin_Kennedy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    Of course she has rights, but in what way does she have the right to other people's money? Apparently you missed the part where he asked the Congress to donate the money themselves if they thought the cause was so worthy, and none of them did.

5. Toome

Toome Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +259
    IT appears that this thread is predicated upon the belief that military widows are compensated by some fund set aside by Congress.

Uh, bullshit.

Military widows are compensated by any insurance benefits the service member may have paid into. That's it. Now, if you want to get picky about certain benefits such as funeral services and financial assistance programs, these are benefits that have been established by law. They are not automatic, and family member survivors have to apply to determine whether or not they qualify. There's a controversy that programs such as the Dependency and Indemnity Compensation actually are subtracted from the Survivor Benefit Plan, which is paid into by the service member. In other words, the funds aren't an additional benefit but are merely a transfer from funds already paid into. I'm no lawyer. I just know that if I don't have a good life insurance program set up, then my wife and kids aren't taken care of. The Army doesn't do it for me. The SBP is not enough, so I opted out of it and went with my own private insurance.

I'm all for those programs that ease the expenses families have to endure for those killed in action, and I think it's good that the Government has these programs. However, these are not automatic, and they are not the "bennies" that some folks seem to believe them to be. Military families are basically on their own.

6. Kevin_Kennedy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    This thread isn't predicated on that belief at all. I'd suggest reading the link in the OP.