Not to de-labor the point, but....

Discussion in 'Politics' started by clevergirl, Jun 10, 2012.

1. clevergirl

clevergirl Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Love this!

The abject failure of the unions to recall Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker — the first such failure in U.S. history — marks the Icarus moment of government-union power. Wax wings melted, there’s nowhere to go but down.

Not to de-labor the point, but ... - BostonHerald.com

2. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    the kill shot-

But the real threat behind all this was that the new law ended automatic government collection of union dues. That was the unexpressed and politically inexpressible issue. Without the thumb of the state tilting the scale by coerced collection, union membership became truly voluntary. Result? Newly freed members rushed for the exits. In less than one year, AFSCME, the second largest public-sector union in Wisconsin, has lost more than 50 percent of its membership.

a powerful point, they cannot even keep their members once the gov. stopped being their accountant and check writer. I saw a figure btw of over 60% of all unions membership has stopped paying dues.

"They sow the wind and reap the whirlwind. The stalk has no head; it will produce no flour."

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. clevergirl

clevergirl Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +563
    I loved his phraseology here:

In July and August 2011, they ran recall elections of state senators, needing three to reclaim Democratic — i.e., union — control. They failed. (The likely flipping of one Senate seat to the Democrats on June 5 is insignificant. The Senate is not in session and won’t be until after yet another round of elections in November.)

And then, Tuesday, their Waterloo. Walker defeated their gubernatorial candidate by a wider margin than he had two years ago.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1