Not sure if this is a stupid question about connecting to the internet

fbj

Gold Member
Jul 10, 2014
When I connect to the internet through etherenet cord on my laptop and then connected through wifi

Does the IP address change?

When I connect to the internet through etherenet cord on my laptop and then connected through wifi

No.

ok. I was banned from a website using wifi and when I created a new usermame under the ethernet connection through another account I am back on site

exp,ain

No.

ok. I was banned from a website using wifi and when I created a new usermame under the ethernet connection through another account I am back on site

exp,ain

No.

exp,ain

Is that you Rderp?

I'd suggest your ISP provides an address to your router which both the WiFi and the ethernet share. Turning your router off and on is likely/possible to cause another IP address to be assigned to it. Easy enough to check. Look up your IP address then turn your router off and on and see if the address is the same.

If you're using two separate connections simultaneous, each connection will have its own individual private IP address. If your software allows you to bond the connections, then the two connections will have a single virtual IP address. Either way, those IP addresses will be private.

The public IP address, the one assigned to your router by the downstream service provider will remain the same, until it is refreshed by the service provider.

No.

exp,ain

You aren't banned by an IP address. That IP assigned to your router by the service provider is periodically changed. Your private IP address on your device connection isn't seen by sites you access.

No.

who the fuck is rderp?

exp,ain

No.

exp,ain

Is that you Rderp?

`
To actually change your IP address, you need either a proxy or a VPN. Tor is a form of VPN.

My laptop has the main account that I was using for 2 years and under that account I would connect through wifi. I was banned from a website on that account and then created another on the same laptop. On the new account I connected through ethernet cord and went back to the website I was banned from and created a username. So that's why I thought the IP changed under the ethernet

`
I use an encrypted VPN service. When I log in, I start the VPN client (software) from the VPN service on my computer. This software encrypts my data, even before my Internet Service Provider or the WiFi provider sees it. The data then goes to the VPN, and from the VPN server to your online destination. I pick a location, anywhere on earth (literally thousands) and use an IP address from that area, let's say it's Japan. I may then visit a site in the US and they'll read my address coming from Japan. The only one who sees my real IP addy is my VPN and it's encrypted. Moreover, once the communication is over, the VPN erases any data communicated, they don't keep logs.

A MAC address is used in an in-house network and basically is used to identify hardware. I has no affect on your IP addy, which is unique.

No. This changed only the connection within your LAN but nothing in the connection of your LAN to the WAN (WWW, Internet, ...).

Depends. You definitely wind up with 2 IP addresses (1 for the wifi card and 1 for the Ethernet card in your PC) if youre talking about your internal IP. Youre router will see each connection as separate device.

If you are talking about your public IP that may be a different matter..Traffic sourced from your ethernet card can result in a different public ip than traffic sourced from you wifi card. Just depends on how your router or ISP allocates public IP addresses.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back