Not supporting the war BUT supporting our troops

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by ProudDem, Sep 22, 2005.

1. ProudDem

ProudDem Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Everytime I see pictures of anti-war protestors, I see those who support the war holding signs that say, "Support Our Troops."

Can someone please explain to me why people assume that just because
    someone does not support the war that it means that person also does not
    support the troops? I just don't get it.

I do not support this war. I do, however, fully support our
    troops. Don't anybody tell me otherwise, as I work for an agency that
    assists veterans, so my daily job is indicative of my unwavering support
    for our troops (which job I have been in for almost 10 years). I agonize over the constant deaths of our troops and the constant maiming of our troops. I would like them to come home soon so that more of them aren't getting killed and maimed.

Everytime I see anti-war protestors, they are begging to bring our soldiers back. Why isn't that indicative of caring about our troops?

2. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    I suppose it's possible to support troops w/o supporting what they are doing...but it just doesn't make any sense.

What good is your (broad statement, not you personally) support of 'the troops' if you rally against EVERYTHING they are doing? Makes one's support worthless.

3. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Here's the thing, Prouddem, when you don't support what they're fighting for, the reasoning behind it, you 're saying that in your mind they're dying for no good reason. That's offensive, whether you intend it to be or not. Here people are laying down their lives to make future generations of america safer, and you think it's for no good reason.

4. xen

xen Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I guess cons will never have this problem because they've never not supported a war, well, except for WWII.

5. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Guess away! I choose door #2.

6. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    In what way do you think "cons" didn't support WWII? I think you are delusional here. Can you support this with any evidence?

7. The ClayTaurus

The ClayTaurus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Serving the country is honorable, but you don't get to pick where you serve. I believe our soldiers enlist to make our country, and the future of our country, safer. But it is possible to support the idea of making our country safer while questioning whether or not that's happening. If it's not happening, it's not the soldier's fault. They're following orders.

A blind man might be able to hammer nails better than anyone alive, but if you put a piece of wood with no nails in front of him, he's not going to have much success.

Soldiers have no control over where they go, other than whether or not they enlist. If you insist that supporting the troops means blindly supporting ANY military involvement this country could undertake, I think it sets a dangerous precedent.

8. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I think he's assuming that when a Democrat (God forbid) went to war that all the Republicans did what the Dems are doing now. However, when America went to war that time, they went united. EVERYONE was behind the war. Those who weren't were seen as traitors.

Also, this constant whine of "support the troops by bringing them home." Bringing the troops home in defeat is worse than getting them killed in the first place. Just ask a Vietnam Vet. If you truly want what's best for the troops, support their mission so we can FINISH, then bring them home in triumph. It's one thing to oppose starting the war. It's another thing entirely to support us losing the war after we're in too deep to just back out. How do you think Normandy vets would feel if we'd taken the beach, then pulled out? They'd be pissed off, that's how they'd feel.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Sedition law comes into play when war is Declared. It is one of the reasons that stopping short of a war declaration was a mistake IMO.

I think it is rather like saying, "I support the Broncos (or insert favorite team here), but I hope they lose this one."

10. ProudDem

ProudDem Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I think Taurus did a good job of addressing this. I have a friend from college who is in the Marine Corps. He is going to Iraq because he asked to go. However, he told me that he does not support the war, but he is a soldier in the military and has promised to serve our country.

I bet some soldiers feel the way you express above and some do not take it personally when people oppose the war. Should people shut their mouths about how they feel because they are worried what kind of effect this will have on our soldiers? My intent is not to disrespect our soldiers; however, I can see how some would take my opposition to the war as my not supporting them.