Not supporting the war BUT supporting our troops

P

ProudDem

Everytime I see pictures of anti-war protestors, I see those who support the war holding signs that say, "Support Our Troops."

Can someone please explain to me why people assume that just because
someone does not support the war that it means that person also does not
support the troops? I just don't get it.

I do not support this war. I do, however, fully support our
troops. Don't anybody tell me otherwise, as I work for an agency that
assists veterans, so my daily job is indicative of my unwavering support
for our troops (which job I have been in for almost 10 years). I agonize over the constant deaths of our troops and the constant maiming of our troops. I would like them to come home soon so that more of them aren't getting killed and maimed.

Everytime I see anti-war protestors, they are begging to bring our soldiers back. Why isn't that indicative of caring about our troops?

I suppose it's possible to support troops w/o supporting what they are doing...but it just doesn't make any sense.

What good is your (broad statement, not you personally) support of 'the troops' if you rally against EVERYTHING they are doing? Makes one's support worthless.

Here's the thing, Prouddem, when you don't support what they're fighting for, the reasoning behind it, you 're saying that in your mind they're dying for no good reason. That's offensive, whether you intend it to be or not. Here people are laying down their lives to make future generations of america safer, and you think it's for no good reason.

I guess cons will never have this problem because they've never not supported a war, well, except for WWII.

xen said:
I guess cons will never have this problem because they've never not supported a war, well, except for WWII.

Guess away! I choose door #2.

xen said:

In what way do you think "cons" didn't support WWII? I think you are delusional here. Can you support this with any evidence?

rtwngAvngr said:
Here's the thing, Prouddem, when you don't support what they're fighting for, the reasoning behind it, you 're saying that in your mind they're dying for no good reason. That's offensive, whether you intend it to be or not. Here people are laying down their lives to make future generations of america safer, and you think it's for no good reason.

Serving the country is honorable, but you don't get to pick where you serve. I believe our soldiers enlist to make our country, and the future of our country, safer. But it is possible to support the idea of making our country safer while questioning whether or not that's happening. If it's not happening, it's not the soldier's fault. They're following orders.

A blind man might be able to hammer nails better than anyone alive, but if you put a piece of wood with no nails in front of him, he's not going to have much success.

Soldiers have no control over where they go, other than whether or not they enlist. If you insist that supporting the troops means blindly supporting ANY military involvement this country could undertake, I think it sets a dangerous precedent.

no1tovote4 said:
In what way do you think "cons" didn't support WWII? I think you are delusional here. Can you support this with any evidence?

I think he's assuming that when a Democrat (God forbid) went to war that all the Republicans did what the Dems are doing now. However, when America went to war that time, they went united. EVERYONE was behind the war. Those who weren't were seen as traitors.

Also, this constant whine of "support the troops by bringing them home." Bringing the troops home in defeat is worse than getting them killed in the first place. Just ask a Vietnam Vet. If you truly want what's best for the troops, support their mission so we can FINISH, then bring them home in triumph. It's one thing to oppose starting the war. It's another thing entirely to support us losing the war after we're in too deep to just back out. How do you think Normandy vets would feel if we'd taken the beach, then pulled out? They'd be pissed off, that's how they'd feel.

Hobbit said:
I think he's assuming that when a Democrat (God forbid) went to war that all the Republicans did what the Dems are doing now. However, when America went to war that time, they went united. EVERYONE was behind the war. Those who weren't were seen as traitors.

Sedition law comes into play when war is Declared. It is one of the reasons that stopping short of a war declaration was a mistake IMO.

Also, this constant whine of "support the troops by bringing them home." Bringing the troops home in defeat is worse than getting them killed in the first place. Just ask a Vietnam Vet. If you truly want what's best for the troops, support their mission so we can FINISH, then bring them home in triumph. It's one thing to oppose starting the war. It's another thing entirely to support us losing the war after we're in too deep to just back out. How do you think Normandy vets would feel if we'd taken the beach, then pulled out? They'd be pissed off, that's how they'd feel.

I think it is rather like saying, "I support the Broncos (or insert favorite team here), but I hope they lose this one."

rtwngAvngr said:

I think Taurus did a good job of addressing this. I have a friend from college who is in the Marine Corps. He is going to Iraq because he asked to go. However, he told me that he does not support the war, but he is a soldier in the military and has promised to serve our country.

I bet some soldiers feel the way you express above and some do not take it personally when people oppose the war. Should people shut their mouths about how they feel because they are worried what kind of effect this will have on our soldiers? My intent is not to disrespect our soldiers; however, I can see how some would take my opposition to the war as my not supporting them.

ProudDem said:
I think Taurus did a good job of addressing this. I have a friend from college who is in the Marine Corps. He is going to Iraq because he asked to go. However, he told me that he does not support the war, but he is a soldier in the military and has promised to serve our country.

No "good" marine would ever call him or herself a 'soldier'.

;)

ProudDem said:

I bet some soldiers feel the way you express above and some do not take it personally when people oppose the war. Should people shut their mouths about how they feel because they are worried what kind of effect this will have on our soldiers? My intent is not to disrespect our soldiers; however, I can see how some would take my opposition to the war as my not supporting them.
I have no problem with folks who are against our invovlement in Iraq. It some of their reasons that drive me crazy. For example, when someone says they support the troops, then call the war "illegal"; that implies that every military person in Iraq is aiding and abetting a criminal act. That fact alone makes me very angry because it tells those who are killing soldiers in Iraq that they are justified, it tells the world court supporters that US soldiers should be tried as war criminals, and it most certainly gives aid and comfort to the enemy. You cannnot say you support the troops and then turn around and give the enemy ammunition.

dmp said:
No "good" marine would ever call him or herself a 'soldier'.

;)

LOL What word would they use? I cannot remember what word he used--I paraphrased his words.

We dated in college. I remember when he was going through ROTC, he would tell me how lame the Army ROTC was. ;)

ProudDem said:
LOL What word would they use? I cannot remember what word he used--I paraphrased his words.

We dated in college. I remember when he was going through ROTC, he would tell me how lame the Army ROTC was. ;)

A Marine calls himself/herself a Marine. They are not soldiers, those are in the Army.

no1tovote4 said:
A Marine calls himself/herself a Marine. They are not soldiers, those are in the Army.

"We were soldiers" 7th Cav rocks...! At least after Custers Fiasco...was corrected 1965VN :firing:

no1tovote4, sorry. To ME, its just common knowledge, why it was delayed so long. I believe the republican party represents the same interests as the politicians who defended large multinational corporations, who had alot of money in german industry.

CSM said:
...when someone says they support the troops, then call the war "illegal"; that implies that every military person in Iraq is aiding and abetting a criminal act.
You think our troops are doing something illegal if they are ordered to it? I dont think so.

hobbit said:
Bringing the troops home in defeat is worse than getting them killed in the first place.
Its not defeat when bringing home our troops saves their lives, stops hundreds of attacks on us a month, and saves us billions so that we can effectivily focus our energy on capture the top bad guys.
Refering to your Normandy scenerio, its already happening...to sweep through fellujah, killing all the terrorists, only to find out its a terrorist safehaven the next month, that is a defeat.
If this type of war is unwinnable, because we are trying to fight an IDEA with military force, then its not worth our troops lives.
Since you believe this war is winnable, you cannot see why stopping would be good. Sorry.

Semper FI!!

The ClayTaurus said:
If it's not happening, it's not the soldier's fault. They're following orders.
Nuremberg decided 'following orders' was not a legitimate defense. Any soldier in Iraq who feels he is being ordered to execute an illegal and immoral war is obligated to disobey orders.

By not doing so they are essentially agreeing with the war.

They want to win, and they want to come home victorious and with their honor. That's why...

ProudDem said:
I do not support this war. I do, however, fully support our
troops.

...makes no sense. You do not support what they are fighting and risking their lives for so therefore you do not support them.

You want them to come home now. Coming home now would be a failure i.e. you want them to fail. You want them to fail so that they don't die. They want to live and win, and many of them would rather die than come home having lost.

ProudDem said:
Everytime I see anti-war protestors, they are begging to bring our soldiers back. Why isn't that indicative of caring about our troops?
Because for many of them, bringing the troops home is a red (pun intended) herring. They only want the troops to come home because they hate what they see as capitalistic American thuggery and want America to be defeated and shamed.

Husband, calling wife from the office: "Hi honey. I'm just taking a break from work, and thought I'd give you a call."

Wife: "Oh, hi dear. It's nice to hear from you, and I hope your day is going well. But can I just say something about that work? I believe that the work you do for that company is wrong, immoral and based on lies. I believe that the CEO of your company has some evil plan to benefit himself and his friends by having you do that work. I believe that no matter how well you do the work, or what your personal intentions in doing it are, it is wrong and is all based on ugly lies. The work you are doing is an embarassment to me and the whole family. I despise your boss and everything he stands for.

And honey, look outside your window tomorrow, and you will see me picketing with signs outside your office. Just to show just how much I am against the work you are doing. In fact, regardless of where you are in completing your project, or how much you have invested in getting it done, I want you to quit the job immediately and come home.

Oh, and by the way dear, I'm proud of you and support you!"

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp

Forum List

Back