Not single-issue voters

Oct 12, 2004
Conneaut Lake
Those that are Christians should not be attaching themselves to an ideology that contradicts the basic principles of their own religion. Caring for the poor and vulnerable is a religious issue. The Republican Party that many Christians tie themselves to generally supports big business. The environment, or more specifically, caring for God's Earth is another religious issue. Jesus once announced during the Sermon on the Mount, "Blessed be the peacemakers.." but many Christians have aligned themselves with war hawks. However, the more liberal God-killing Democrats are scourging God from all civic life. Both parties contradict themselves gravely on the issue of life. Democrats support abortion and Republicans support the death penalty. Neither one of these positions obey the biblical injunction to choose life. I believe that instead of attaching themselves to one party for eternity, Christians must be able to step back and really examine how close each party stacks up with a consistent bible-based philosophy.

I think the basic principles of Christianity is religious freedom. The secular left is quite opposed to this. Hence why the ACLU and other special interest groups oppose religions on almost every major issue. Religious freedom is one of the oldest principles of the Gospel. The scriptures tell us to "Choose this day whom we will serve" Joshua 24:15

Caring for the poor and vulnerable is a religious issue. The Republican Party that many Christians tie themselves to generally supports big business

Yeah caring for the poor is a religious issue. However, there is nothing wrong with supporting thrift and industry in commerce. It is a sin to be idle. So what is wrong with Christians supporting hard work and making money so long as it isnt filthy lucre? What a better way to help the poor than to show them how to work themselves out of their poverty?

Also many of us who support the republican platform believe that caring for the poor should be something done by individuals and not governments. It is morally wrong to tax people to give to others. Charity should be given freely so that both the giver and the reciever can be uplifted and edified.

The environment, or more specifically, caring for God's Earth is another religious issue.

I agree that we are supposed to be good stewards of the environment. I dont know anyone in the world that wants to destroy the environment. its just not profitable. However, we should be careful to stay away from junk science that becomes its on religion such as global warming. And we should be careful not to put the lives of plants or animals above human beings.

Jesus once announced during the Sermon on the Mount, "Blessed be the peacemakers.." but many Christians have aligned themselves with war hawks.

We have also been instructed to defend ourselves. and to liberate the captive. sometimes war is necessary to do this.

Both parties contradict themselves gravely on the issue of life. Democrats support abortion and Republicans support the death penalty.

There is no contradiction on the issue of life. The Lord has said that he who murders shall die. The scriptures endorse capital punishment as justice. The only true contradiction is supporting the murder of innocent children and protecting hardened criminals.

I believe that instead of attaching themselves to one party for eternity, Christians must be able to step back and really examine how close each party stacks up with a consistent bible-based philosophy

I dont think anyone is attaching themselves to a party for eternity. politics evolves. parties shift. there is hardly an eternal bond to politics.

YoungChristian said:
Those that are Christians should not be attaching themselves to an ideology that contradicts the basic principles of their own religion. Caring for the poor and vulnerable is a religious issue. The Republican Party that many Christians tie themselves to generally supports big business. The environment, or more specifically, caring for God's Earth is another religious issue. Jesus once announced during the Sermon on the Mount, "Blessed be the peacemakers.." but many Christians have aligned themselves with war hawks. However, the more liberal God-killing Democrats are scourging God from all civic life. Both parties contradict themselves gravely on the issue of life. Democrats support abortion and Republicans support the death penalty. Neither one of these positions obey the biblical injunction to choose life. I believe that instead of attaching themselves to one party for eternity, Christians must be able to step back and really examine how close each party stacks up with a consistent bible-based philosophy.

None of us are "attached for eternity" to one party. I think you need to step back and ask yourself why most of the truly active Christians today are to be found in the Republican Party. Please read my signature line for hints.

YoungChristian said:

As a Christian, I certainly want to help the poor and be a good steward of God's provisions. But as a conservative, I believe the best way to do this is as individuals, not through the government. That is why the GOP generally supports lower taxes, so people can have more to give to charities.

I'm not quite sure, however, how you come to the conclusion that war and the death penalty are always wrong in God's eyes. Can you explain those positions?

I did not mean that every war is unjust or that a strong military and low taxes aren't important. I'm just stating the fact that Jesus talked more about caring for the poor than he did about reducing the capital gains tax. Now, helping the poor is probably better done by a program like workfare than by just throwing money at them. Also, taking care of the environment should be very important, but man was given a mandate over it. It is our job to make sure it is being taken care of while using it to better society. Don't think that I've gone liberal on all of you, I'm just trying to encompass more than abortion and same-sex marriages in the Christian vote.

When it comes to abortion and the death penalty, I think it is pretty clear where Jesus would stand with that. It was no longer an eye for an eye, but turn the other cheek. Also, Jesus said, "those that have not sinned may cast the first stone," in the case of the adulteress woman. I don't believe that those who break the laws should run free, but life should be protected. Besides, I think it would be much worse to have to spend your life in prison than to die. This gives an opportunity for the criminal to possibly find God, or change themselves for the better. Even if they don't change, trapping them in prison will actually cost less to society than the death penalty plus all the appeals.

Why don't you all give Jim Walis' book "<i><b>God's Politics: Why the Right Gets it Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get It</b></1>", Harper-Collins, 2005, ISBN 0-06055828-8. It's an intelligent and engaging read, and covers much of the ground already covered here in great detail.

Forum List

Back