Not only the pill, but sex changes?

There are many kinds of mental illness. Some mental illness doesn't lead people to dislike being men or women and want to be another gender. Body Integrity Identity Disorder is a mental illness where people despise their limbs. They want their legs cut off, their arms cut off. It is a disorder. We do not go around lopping off limbs to make these people happy, we treat them as if they had a mental illness because they do. We don't have tax funds providing happiness to those voluntarily legless by amputating healthy limbs.

Making people happy is not a function of the public treasury.

The thing that makes gender idenity disorder different is of course, sex. And once you get into something involving sex it makes people either squeamish or unable to critique anything having to do with it.

Plus you have the gay rights groups seeing this as an extension to thier fight, so that adds an interest group to the discussion that would not happen for people who just want to lop off an arm, or like to cut themselves.

There are many kinds of mental illness. Some mental illness doesn't lead people to dislike being men or women and want to be another gender. Body Integrity Identity Disorder is a mental illness where people despise their limbs. They want their legs cut off, their arms cut off. It is a disorder. We do not go around lopping off limbs to make these people happy, we treat them as if they had a mental illness because they do. We don't have tax funds providing happiness to those voluntarily legless by amputating healthy limbs.

Making people happy is not a function of the public treasury.

The thing that makes gender idenity disorder different is of course, sex. And once you get into something involving sex it makes people either squeamish or unable to critique anything having to do with it.

Plus you have the gay rights groups seeing this as an extension to thier fight, so that adds an interest group to the discussion that would not happen for people who just want to lop off an arm, or like to cut themselves.
Yet no one in here is ‘squeamish’ at all. Many here are rejecting the idea that we should be mandated to cover sex changes though. The idea is asinine.

Is there anything on this planet that Democrats DON"T want government to take care of,
to provide?

Is there anything at all that Democrats will say "no that is something I will take care of for the good of my
family"....Anything at all?

Is there anything on this planet that Democrats DON"T want government to take care of,
to provide?

Is there anything at all that Democrats will say "no that is something I will take care of for the good of my
family"....Anything at all?

I dunno. If you have to pay for insurance, why shouldn't it cover you?

Can you tell me, please in small syllables, why anyone would want to have their gender changed just for the hell of it?

Thanks in advance!

I can't do it in small syllables or even a lengthy article replete with scholarly verbiage.

It takes an incredible amount of determination and sacrifice to undergo the lengthy transgender process. The financial and emotional commitment is staggering. Whatever the motivation, it must be powerful. I would suggest that only extreme mental anguish would compel a person to go through the ordeal. I cannot understand how anyone could condemn or ridicule a person for trying to lessen the pain.

Psychotherapy would be easier

It would be wonderful it psychotherapy worked in every case, but unfortunately it does not. Further, although psychotherapy is not required in sex reassignment, mental health counseling and evaluation by two qualified professionals is a must:

“A qualified mental health professional who has been acquainted with the member for at least 18 months recommends sex reassignment surgery documented in the form of a written comprehensive evaluation; and For genital surgical sex reassignment, a second concurring recommendation by another qualified mental health professional must be documented in the form of a written expert opinion...and at least one of the two clinical behavioral scientists making the favorable recommendation for surgical (genital) sex reassignment must possess a doctoral degree (e.g., Ph.D., Ed.D., D.Sc., D.S.W., Psy.D., or M.D.).”

Gender Reassignment Surgery

Transgender candidates go through additional psychological adjustment by being required to live in the opposite gender role for a full year.

“For both sexes, surgery is preceded by use of the appropriate sex hormone (estrogen in male-to-female transformation and testosterone in female-to-male transformation), and a real-life experience living in the opposite gender role for at least 1 year.”

Gender Identity: Sexuality: Merck Manual Home Edition

The sex-reassignment process is long, expensive and definitely life-altering. No one would go through all of this if psychotherapy was a reliable option. I am certain that the mental health professionals who evaluate all transgender candidates are fully aware of the need for sex-reassignment surgery as opposed to psychotherapy. I am certain they would always recommend the less intrusive procedure.

But that is only my own humble (and yes I lied about the humble part).

I'm surprised Slut Fluke wasn't demanding free boob jobs and vagina tightening.

I can't do it in small syllables or even a lengthy article replete with scholarly verbiage.

It takes an incredible amount of determination and sacrifice to undergo the lengthy transgender process. The financial and emotional commitment is staggering. Whatever the motivation, it must be powerful. I would suggest that only extreme mental anguish would compel a person to go through the ordeal. I cannot understand how anyone could condemn or ridicule a person for trying to lessen the pain.

It would be wonderful it psychotherapy worked in every case, but unfortunately it does not. Further, although psychotherapy is not required in sex reassignment, mental health counseling and evaluation by two qualified professionals is a must:

“A qualified mental health professional who has been acquainted with the member for at least 18 months recommends sex reassignment surgery documented in the form of a written comprehensive evaluation; and For genital surgical sex reassignment, a second concurring recommendation by another qualified mental health professional must be documented in the form of a written expert opinion...and at least one of the two clinical behavioral scientists making the favorable recommendation for surgical (genital) sex reassignment must possess a doctoral degree (e.g., Ph.D., Ed.D., D.Sc., D.S.W., Psy.D., or M.D.).”

Transgender candidates go through additional psychological adjustment by being required to live in the opposite gender role for a full year.

“For both sexes, surgery is preceded by use of the appropriate sex hormone (estrogen in male-to-female transformation and testosterone in female-to-male transformation), and a real-life experience living in the opposite gender role for at least 1 year.”

The sex-reassignment process is long, expensive and definitely life-altering. No one would go through all of this if psychotherapy was a reliable option. I am certain that the mental health professionals who evaluate all transgender candidates are fully aware of the need for sex-reassignment surgery as opposed to psychotherapy. I am certain they would always recommend the less intrusive procedure.

It is a Psychological disorder, you don't mutilate people simply because they want they want It, and tax payers or insurance companies should not be forced to pay for such things. There are cases were people think their own hands or other part of their body is evil should we simply cut the hand off? What have we become?...give me a break

Last edited:

It still doesn't mean that the taxpayers should have to pay for that person's NON health issue.

Can you tell me, please in small syllables, why anyone would want to have their gender changed just for the hell of it?

Thanks in advance!

Probably all true. Also largely irrelevant to the idea that the government should (not) be mandating that HC insurance covers such operations.

My response was relevant to the question which was asked: “Can you tell me, please in small syllables, why anyone would want to have their gender changed just for the hell of it?” However as to your concern as to whether “the government should (not) be mandating that HC insurance covers such operations” here is my response:

Health insurance providers should be allowed to sell any type of policy they want, to anyone they want, anywhere they want, without any government mandates of any kind. Government mandates always add to health insurance costs which in turn add to total health care costs. Actually, I am one of the few people on this forum who contend that health insurance is not the solution to the present health care crisis; rather it is one of the problems.

At one time, insurance was defined as a pooling of risks in situations in which there was a low probability of injury but the injury was associated with a devastatingly high cost. Today people “insure” everything from yearly physicals to routine doctor's visits for colds and other minor complaints. If car insurance was used to pay all expenses associated with keeping an automobile on the road, the price of gas would skyrocket. If someone wants only catastrophic insurance, he should be able to purchase it from the most affordable provider. If they want a plan that pays for every every conceivable malady, including hair plug transplants (actually mandated in at least one state), they should be able to throw their dollars away for such coverage.

What's really funny is that the government prohibits health insurance companies from selling policies across state lines. However, the Commerce Clause of the US Constitution was designed to prevent such restrictive practices.

The government is doing its best to keep one fact away from American consumers: Open, honest unrestricted competition puts ALL the power in the hands of the consumer. When consumers decide, though their personal choices, which companies prosper and which ones fail, THEY control quality and price. All too often, businesses run to the government for protection AGAINST consumer choices, and all to often the government - in exchange for campaign contributions – acquiesces.

I hope I have answered your question.

Apparently, Sandra Fluke not only wants Obamacare to pay for the "pill" but also to have sex changes covered by insurance....really?

Sandra Fluke supports mandatory coverage of sex change surgery

irth control is not all that Ms. Fluke believes private health insurance must cover. She also, apparently, believes that it is discrimination deserving of legal action if “gender reassignment” surgeries are not covered by employer provided health insurance. She makes these views clear in an article she co-edited with Karen Hu in the Georgetown Journal of Gender and the Law.
The title of the article . . . is “Employment Discrimination Against LGBTQ Persons” and was published in the Journal’s 2011 Annual Review.
Transgender persons wishing to undergo the gender reassignment process frequently face heterosexist employer health insurance policies that label the surgery as cosmetic or medically unnecessary and therefore uncovered.
Sandra Fluke supports mandatory coverage of sex change surgery « Wintery Knight

So Sandra (pre), Steve (post) wants a sex change too? :confused:
I thought she was just a misguided college student....who knew she was an over the top nutcase activist that was hired by the DNC to speak. :eusa_eh:

well, gender dysphoria is a real illness. should they not get treatment for that illness?

do we not treat AIDS and STD's because some disapprove of how one might get those illnesses?

Proposed Revision | APA DSM-5

Proposed Revision | APA DSM-5

I understand the argument against this as the cost is great. The problem is that, at least in most cases, there is a real need for gender reassignment. Here again, we get into the argument of whether or not this is a choice, much as we do with those who are gay. Of course, rational people understand gays are born gay and it is not a choice. So too is it with those who choose gender reassignment. Real men don't all of a sudden decide that they should become a woman because it might be a fun thing to do. Same holds true for the reverse.

It is a mental disorder. Treating it as a mental disorder is what should be done, not accommodating the mental disorder. If someone with a mental disorder wants to indulge themselves and it hurts no one else, they should be permitted to do so, but should not get others to pay for such indulgence.

Probably all true. Also largely irrelevant to the idea that the government should (not) be mandating that HC insurance covers such operations.

My response was relevant to the question which was asked: “Can you tell me, please in small syllables, why anyone would want to have their gender changed just for the hell of it?” However as to your concern as to whether “the government should (not) be mandating that HC insurance covers such operations” here is my response:

Health insurance providers should be allowed to sell any type of policy they want, to anyone they want, anywhere they want, without any government mandates of any kind. Government mandates always add to health insurance costs which in turn add to total health care costs. Actually, I am one of the few people on this forum who contend that health insurance is not the solution to the present health care crisis; rather it is one of the problems.

At one time, insurance was defined as a pooling of risks in situations in which there was a low probability of injury but the injury was associated with a devastatingly high cost. Today people “insure” everything from yearly physicals to routine doctor's visits for colds and other minor complaints. If car insurance was used to pay all expenses associated with keeping an automobile on the road, the price of gas would skyrocket. If someone wants only catastrophic insurance, he should be able to purchase it from the most affordable provider. If they want a plan that pays for every every conceivable malady, including hair plug transplants (actually mandated in at least one state), they should be able to throw their dollars away for such coverage.

What's really funny is that the government prohibits health insurance companies from selling policies across state lines. However, the Commerce Clause of the US Constitution was designed to prevent such restrictive practices.

The government is doing its best to keep one fact away from American consumers: Open, honest unrestricted competition puts ALL the power in the hands of the consumer. When consumers decide, though their personal choices, which companies prosper and which ones fail, THEY control quality and price. All too often, businesses run to the government for protection AGAINST consumer choices, and all to often the government - in exchange for campaign contributions – acquiesces.

I hope I have answered your question.

And I agree with what you stated. My post was simply relating this to the OP, which the question/answer had nothing to do with tax monies used to cover these expenses or government mandates that it be covered.

It is a mental disorder. Treating it as a mental disorder is what should be done, not accommodating the mental disorder. If someone with a mental disorder wants to indulge themselves and it hurts no one else, they should be permitted to do so, but should not get others to pay for such indulgence.

Even if that treatment would mean that that person would be able to lead a happier life, and would not be in need of counseling or any other mental health treatment?

Even if that treatment would mean that that person would be able to lead a happier life, and would not be in need of counseling or any other mental health treatment?

Absolutely. Positively, Unequivocally. We are not hear to pay for someone else to be "happy". They are deranged. They have a disorder. Indulging that disorder is not a function of the entire society. We do not pay the gambling losses of the compulsive gambler no matter how happy gambling makes them. We do not pay for the merchandise of the shoplifter, nor the whore bills of the sex addict. No matter how happy indulging their disorder makes them.

Your happiness is none of my business. If someone wishes to have plastic surgery until they become disfigured, it may make them very happy, but they must pay for it themselves.

Absolutely. Positively, Unequivocally. We are not hear to pay for someone else to be "happy". They are deranged. They have a disorder. Indulging that disorder is not a function of the entire society. We do not pay the gambling losses of the compulsive gambler no matter how happy gambling makes them. We do not pay for the merchandise of the shoplifter, nor the whore bills of the sex addict. No matter how happy indulging their disorder makes them.

Your happiness is none of my business. If someone wishes to have plastic surgery until they become disfigured, it may make them very happy, but they must pay for it themselves.
Um Sandra Fluke does want us to pay for her Whore bills.....

We should pay for her boob job too. It makes her happy.

How much happiness do we owe women like this?

Sheyla Hershey's joy at having world's largest breast implants 'reinflated' after death scare | Mail Online

An infection that set in after her 30th breast enlargement operation led to 5ft 3in Sheyla undergoing emergency operation in June 2010 that left with unattractive sagging skin where her implants had been.
So obsessed was Sheyla with maintaining her Guinness World Record that the loss of her implants almost drove her to suicide.
'Not having my breasts was killing me, I didn't know if I could make it through 2012 without them,' she said.

Because bigger implants make her "happy" do we really owe them to her?

We should pay for her boob job too. It makes her happy.

How much happiness do we owe women like this?

Sheyla Hershey's joy at having world's largest breast implants 'reinflated' after death scare | Mail Online

An infection that set in after her 30th breast enlargement operation led to 5ft 3in Sheyla undergoing emergency operation in June 2010 that left with unattractive sagging skin where her implants had been.
So obsessed was Sheyla with maintaining her Guinness World Record that the loss of her implants almost drove her to suicide.
'Not having my breasts was killing me, I didn't know if I could make it through 2012 without them,' she said.

Because bigger implants make her "happy" do we really owe them to her?

We owe them not a damn thing....But like all whiney progressives they think we owe them a happy life. it is what happens when you mistake God with government

Last edited:

Forum List

Back