Not One Dime of New Taxes: First the Cigs, Now the Booze

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Next the sugar, then ????

Realities of boozing are tough to swallow - science-in-society - 31 March 2009 - New Scientist

They're calling the rationale 'passive drinking.' :eek::lol:

...The passive drinking concept is borrowed from "passive smoking". It is accepted almost everywhere that damage from passive smoking is real, and measures to curb it - taxing cigarettes heavily and banning smoking in public places, for example - have wide public support. Can a similar concept be applied to alcohol? And can the problem of passive drinking become as widely accepted as passive smoking, as hoped for by the World Health Organization, which last year began drafting a global plan to tackle alcohol abuse?

Tackling passive drinking will be an interesting experiment in social engineering. According to Donaldson, the way to do it is to raise the price of alcohol and limit its availability, however much resentment this may cause among the drinking classes. Donaldson proposed that the minimum price of a unit of alcohol (about as much as in half a pint of beer or a small glass of wine) should be raised to 50 pence....

Sin Tax - The last bastion of morons incapable of budgeting well, following a budget, or making good investments.

Sin Tax - The last bastion of morons incapable of budgeting well, following a budget, or making good investments.

LOL! I'm waiting for them to bring the 'graduated tax scheme' to purchases. "This loaf of bread is x % over the norm. For the first $1 you will be taxed at 8%, for every cent over that, taxes will be 100%, c'mon fool, take the government bread!"

LOL! I'm waiting for them to bring the 'graduated tax scheme' to purchases. "This loaf of bread is x % over the norm. For the first $1 you will be taxed at 8%, for every cent over that, taxes will be 100%, c'mon fool, take the government bread!"

If they did that I will just start buying EVERYTHING imported, even if it would cost me more, just to say "fuck you" to their excessive taxes.

If they did that I will just start buying EVERYTHING imported, even if it would cost me more, just to say "fuck you" to their excessive taxes.

They will, I really haven't a doubt. When they control the autos; I was just talking about that on AVG-JOE's thread; they will play Walmart with the other auto makers, lowering the prices to force them out of the market, then tarriffs on any imports.

They're consolidating control over the banks, can you imagine how the markets would react to many banks saying they don't need TARP? The 'freeze' may well be their refusal to take the paybacks.

Question is if the people will make it too uncomfortable for Congress?

Obama made a televised interview in January of last Year in California. He intends to use taxation to make anything he finds bad to expensive for any but the rich to use. He specifically talked about destroying the Coal fired power plants and the Fossil fuel plants as well as Natural Gas. You know the plants that provide over 60 percent of our electrical power in this country. His plan is to tax them so that they either go out of business or so that only the rich and Government can afford to use them. He specifically said he would raise taxes so high that only the rich could afford the electricity from them and that the Government would cover the poor, he made no mention of the middle of that spectrum.

This guy is a stuttering fool. It's painful listening to him. No wonder he is so dependent on his teleprompter. Without a written script, he cannot structure his thoughts into a clear sentence and it takes forever for him to make a point that you wind up forgetting what the question was. I wonder if Obama is really running the show. When off the cuff, he doesn't appear to be a person in command of his policies. Maybe that's why he needs his Blackberry. He has to check in with his boss.

Last edited:

I intend to make my purchases on base. It's a little out of the way for me, but I have no problem doing it just to screw the Dems with their own swords.

Didn't they try to cut out booze once before?

As I recall it lead to huge organized crime.

They aren't cutting it out. They'll just tax the Hell out of it. Clinton pulled this same crap when he first took office.

Oh yeah, the middle class gets such the tax breaks from the Democrats. GMAFB. They toss out a bone with one hand while jacking taxes that hurt the middle class the most with the other.

The saddest part is the hacks are too damned blind to see the shell game being played on them.

Didn't they try to cut out booze once before?

As I recall it lead to huge organized crime.

They aren't cutting it out. They'll just tax the Hell out of it. Clinton pulled this same crap when he first took office.

Oh yeah, the middle class gets such the tax breaks from the Democrats. GMAFB. They toss out a bone with one hand while jacking taxes that hurt the middle class the most with the other.

The saddest part is the hacks are too damned blind to see the shell game being played on them.

The only good thing about all this is that it will almost certainly backfire. Maybe then we will actually see some fiscal conservatism among the majority of Americans.

It's time for a Tea Party! If you wish to keep what liberties we have left, we all must stand up together!

They will tax you regardless of who you are or how much money you make. You think the companies just eat the cost. No they pass it on to us. We have taxes upon taxes upon taxes. Then you add in state and local taxes. I'm fucking sick of it!

Next the sugar, then ????

Realities of boozing are tough to swallow - science-in-society - 31 March 2009 - New Scientist

They're calling the rationale 'passive drinking.' :eek::lol:

...The passive drinking concept is borrowed from "passive smoking". It is accepted almost everywhere that damage from passive smoking is real, and measures to curb it - taxing cigarettes heavily and banning smoking in public places, for example - have wide public support. Can a similar concept be applied to alcohol? And can the problem of passive drinking become as widely accepted as passive smoking, as hoped for by the World Health Organization, which last year began drafting a global plan to tackle alcohol abuse?

Tackling passive drinking will be an interesting experiment in social engineering. According to Donaldson, the way to do it is to raise the price of alcohol and limit its availability, however much resentment this may cause among the drinking classes. Donaldson proposed that the minimum price of a unit of alcohol (about as much as in half a pint of beer or a small glass of wine) should be raised to 50 pence....
is passive smoking the same thing as second hand smoke?
if it is, just how does one do "passive drinking"????

Forum List

Back