Not "me v you"

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
It's not Republicans vs Democrats and Paulites vs everybody. This country is in Deep Serious because the government is broken, and there is no use casting blame.

All forms of media buy into casting the other side as 'the enemy,' and they use each of us as ammo against "the opposition."

Taking all of the above as fact - how can we change the status quo.

The country is not broken at all. Its government is and has been.

And if your thesis is that Dims and Republicans share the blame for that, you are finally speaking coherently, rationally and correctly.

But the majority part of the blame DOES go to those (mostly modern day liberal Americans) who decline to place stock in the Constitutional LIMITS imposed on the federal government. They deride the very notion.

Even as I mention it again, the usual suspects are quivering in rage and frustration that they can't shout me down with the standard refrain: "but the GOP does it too." That's true. But it's not an answer.

The Tea Party is trying to reform the GOP (and our government). By contrast, liberal Democratics are more than content to continue with business as usual.

This country has survived worse than 2012. From a historic perspective, we're actually doing considerably better than we have at many periods of time. For instance, no one has shot the secretary of the treasury in a duel recently. We aren't involved in a civil war. There's no slavery. No Indian folks walking the trail of tears, either. Our violent crime rate is at the lowest levels since 1978.

Having a hard time figuring out what we should all be panicking and gnashing our teeth about.

• Banned

And if your thesis is that Dims and Republicans share the blame for that, you are finally speaking coherently, rationally and correctly.

But the majority part of the blame DOES go to those (mostly modern day liberal Americans) who decline to place stock in the Constitutional LIMITS imposed on the federal government. They deride the very notion.

Even as I mention it again, the usual suspects are quivering in rage and frustration that they can't shout me down with the standard refrain: "but the GOP does it too." That's true. But it's not an answer.

The Tea Party is trying to reform the GOP (and our government). By contrast, liberal Democratics are more than content to continue with business as usual.

I didn't say that the country is broken. :)

I think *independent of the big money currently being thrown at the election process* big money and government are responsible for the governmental breakdown, and therefore the dire straits this country is currently in.

Well then, we agree on that premise.

I think *independent of the big money currently being thrown at the election process* big money and government are responsible for the governmental breakdown, and therefore the dire straits this country is currently in.

I believe that the money used to get the vote is a problem, but it is far from the most significant problem in how and why our government is broken.

This country is in Deep Serious because the government is broken.

This is a subjective opinion. Please quantify it. In what ways is this country in "Deep Serious," and in what way do you consider the government broken? From what I can observe, the 3 branches of government appear to be functioning as designed.

• Banned

I believe that the money used to get the vote is a problem, but it is far from the most significant problem in how and why our government is broken.

I meant big money in government pockets and vice-versa. Lobbying, bribing, etc. I don't think our House and Senate is near as pure as the vast majority of Americans would like to believe.

It's not Republicans vs Democrats and Paulites vs everybody. This country is in Deep Serious because the government is broken, and there is no use casting blame.

All forms of media buy into casting the other side as 'the enemy,' and they use each of us as ammo against "the opposition."

One suggestion would be going back to the states appointing the senators.

Our representative republic has gone from representing the people to representing the parties.

I meant big money in government pockets and vice-versa. Lobbying, bribing, etc. I don't think our House and Senate is near as pure as the vast majority of Americans would like to believe.

Lobbying is a big problem when it is used to buy votes. They oughta make it a crime.

Oh wait.

It is a crime.

But as bad as that problem is, it's not the major problem we are confronting. Not nearly.

Our representative republic has gone from representing the people to representing the parties.

That would make sense to me. How could it be implemented though? And wouldn't it just mean the same thing at State level?

When a huge portion of the country thinks government is not big enough and wants to grow government b taxing the ever loving shit out of who they think is wealthy, then it is us v. Them. Because the rest of us think government is way out of hand and needs to be drawn down significantly. It's the tea party mentality and behaviors vs. the OWS mentality and behaviors.

Lobbying is a big problem when it is used to buy votes. They oughta make it a crime.

Oh wait.

It is a crime.

But as bad as that problem is, it's not the major problem we are confronting. Not nearly.

Would you start a thread on "The major problem we are confronting," please?

Oh wait.

It is a crime.

No. But you should feel free to go that route if you think it's meritorious.

Or, even if you don't.

That would make sense to me. How could it be implemented though? And wouldn't it just mean the same thing at State level?

It would take a revision of the amendment. The difference would shift the focus from what the party wants to what the state wants. Yes I do think there would still be some shenanigans just as before. So added suggestions for minimization are most welcome.

I can't see the situation changing until there's a crisis. Sad to say, we've got polar opposites in economic policies and that won't change until one side or the other decides it's in their best political interest to adjust. That's sad, our leadership (both sides) cares more about politics than the best interests of the country. But there we are.

Oh wait.

It is a crime.

No. But you should feel free to go that route if you think it's meritorious.

Or, even if you don't.

Okay, you said this.

So. Sir. What do you believe is the major problem we are confronting, because I, Sir, am no telepath.

This country is in Deep Serious because the government is broken.

This is a subjective opinion. Please quantify it. In what ways is this country in "Deep Serious," and in what way do you consider the government broken? From what I can observe, the 3 branches of government appear to be functioning as designed.
Yes, for the most part, they are functioning as designed. Except for that minor glitch of the bypass of judicial review for summary executions of citizens.

Forum List

Back