Not in my neighborhood.

Addressed in the study if you bothered to read it. Obviously you would rather be ignorant than look at actual facts.

Come back when you have something more than outright rejection of scientific studies because you don’t like the outcomes.

You're reading the results from this OLD report wrong. It shows no causal link between a group home and a non-group home. It shows a slightly higher percentage of neighborhoods that experienced a rise in property values.

In fact, the study explicitly states this:

"By itself, this raw data could lead to an unwarranted conclusion that the presence of a group home generally leads to increased property values. However, the change in before and after mean sale price for each group home neighborhood must still be subjected to one of the most rigorous statistical tests, the student 1 s t-test, to determine whether the difference between the before and after mean sale price is due to chance or to establishing the group home."

Then there's this:

"Clearly, property values generally rose during the study period. The aver*age mean sale price in the 14 group home neighborhoods rose from $60,303 to $63,318 after group homes opened, an average increase of $3015. The average mean sale price in the 14 control neighborhoods rose $4099, from $57,831 to $61,930. "

So this study shows that overall there is no decrease in property values by opening a group home. However two somewhat affluent neighborhoods were included, one with a group home and one without. Any guesses on the results?

MT PROSPECT MP-6: Mean Sales prices of $110,705 before the group home, $110,091 after the group home while the control neighborhood without a group home was $91,004 and $105,895 during the same time period.

So it appears the study you cited supports the concerns of the owners in the OP.

Only in the single outlier.

I would be interested though in the other neighborhoods. I will look a little closer as to the different neighborhoods when I have some more time. Perhaps you have something if the study did not include enough affluent neighborhoods to compare to this situation.

It's not the "single outlier," it's the only affluent neighborhood.

There is a state mental hospital in affluent Williamsburg called Easter State. It has a beautiful campus and there has never been any trouble with it.
It has been there for quite a few years..
The land it is on is worth a fortune. Some people there would love to close it and steal the land.

http://www.esh.dbhds.virginia.gov/

Last edited:
There is a state mental hospital in affluent Williamsburg called Easter State. It has a beautiful campus and there has never been any trouble with it.
The land it is on is worth a fortune. Some people there would love to close it and steal the land.

Eastern State Hospital
It's value is enhanced by being a mental hospital?

Eastern State Hospital
It's value is enhanced by being a mental hospital?

It has beautiful turf. Just imagine all the golf courses they could build.

It's value is appreciated by the Lord. They do good things for people there. I worked there once.

So being a mental hospital has nothing to do with the value of the land.

Because it is serene and beautiful with lots of trees and wildlife it adds to the beauty of Williamsburg.

All land in Williamsburg is worth big bucks.

There is an estate in Beverly Hills of five acres, zoned for horses and some livestock. No pigs, cattle, camels etc. It was owned by Jimmy Hendrix who died after the home was complete but before he ever moved in. It sat all these years locked up like a time capsule. It was purchased last year as a group home for those with severe mental disabilities. They use animal therapy and have had phemonenal success with the residents working with the horses and goats that are kept there. Who knew dressage could be so successful?

No one complained or objected. Of course the foundation itself is supported by very very rich people.

The rich at this level of rich make their own reality. Not only is the group home not visible but it has no visible neighbors either.

Any institution close to a neighborhood will decrease the value of the property in that area. That is a fact. No one wants to buy a home next to a hospital or a detention center. The price that these people paid for their homes will be more than they can sell for when they choose to leave.

We buy our homes where we do because we like what is close and what is not close. Ask yourself if these people would have bought their homes if the facility planned was there when they bought? Why not? Maybe they didn't want a facility of that kind next door. Would anyone have paid the high price for those properties with an institution next door? Would you?

The study I cited shows that it is NOT a fact. Those are homes by the way, NOT institutions. The study followed several such places across the entire state and found nothing supporting your statement so no, it is not ‘fact.’ It is actually outright false.

I t may not impact in one state and may in another.
There are significant differences in the laws,regulations and also social interactions of the people.
It also might make a difference in a high-priced neighborhood and no difference in a middle-priced one (or vice verse)

Last edited:
Any institution close to a neighborhood will decrease the value of the property in that area. That is a fact. No one wants to buy a home next to a hospital or a detention center. The price that these people paid for their homes will be more than they can sell for when they choose to leave.

We buy our homes where we do because we like what is close and what is not close. Ask yourself if these people would have bought their homes if the facility planned was there when they bought? Why not? Maybe they didn't want a facility of that kind next door. Would anyone have paid the high price for those properties with an institution next door? Would you?

The study I cited shows that it is NOT a fact. Those are homes by the way, NOT institutions. The study followed several such places across the entire state and found nothing supporting your statement so no, it is not ‘fact.’ It is actually outright false.

There are significant differences in the laws,regulations and also social interactions of the people.
It also might make a difference in a high-priced neighborhood and no difference in a middle-priced one (or vice verse)

Even city to city. City zoning laws have way too much power as far as I am concerned.

Inspectors can come onto your property without a warrant.

There are inspectors who ride aroundtaking pictures of my yard and writing citations for such things as branches in the yard or the trash can being visible from the street.

Quite a big little brother.

Even city to city. City zoning laws have way too much power as far as I am concerned.

Inspectors can come onto your property without a warrant.

There are inspectors who ride aroundtaking pictures of my yard and writing citations for such things as branches in the yard or the trash can being visible from the street.

Quite a big little brother.

Unfortunately

Forum List

Back