Not impressed by the Tides last 2 NC teams

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
In 2009 season -they defeated a crippled Texas team that lost Colt McCoy in the first quarter. Limped by and won.

Had a no-name Qb an an overratted Heisman winner Mark Ingram................

Same thing in 2011.

A no-name QB, an overrtated RB and beat a crummy team. (and got a 2nd shot to a team that beat them earlier)

2 mediocre teams that will not be remembered among the greatest of all time 50 years from now.

In 2009 season -they defeated a crippled Texas team that lost Colt McCoy in the first quarter. Limped by and won.

Same thing in 2011.

A no-name QB, an overrtated RB and beat a crummy team. (and got a 2nd shot to a team that beat them earlier)

2 mediocre teams that will not be remembered among the greatest of all time 50 years from now.

Oh my!! You aren't impressed?? I'm sure as soon as Nick Saban hears this he will return the trophy immediately.

Texas didn't LOSE Colt McCoy. The defense hit him so hard he took himself out of the game.

One thing you seem to misunderstand, it doesn't matter who is known or unknown. It matters who wins the game.

Both Crimson Tide teams had dominating defenses. That is what won the National Championship in both games. It is what Bama is known for. It is why the last meeting between USC and Bama ended with Bama beating them 24-3. (just an FYI - Bama is 5-2 against the Condoms)

At the end of the 2009 season USC was ranked #22 and Notre Lame had not been in the rankings at all for 6 weeks.

Maybe you have heard the old adage "Offense wins game, Defense wins championships"? Bama is a perfect example of the accuracy of that adage.

Ginscpy, I understand that you apparently hate the Crimson Tide. I have no problem with that. But your understanding of football, or your obstinate refusal to see the facts is laughable.

If you think a running back with 2,000 yards and 24 TDs is over-rated, then you are welcome to your opinion. He was 3rd in the Heiseman voting, so apparently most people who know would disagree with you.

But you are missing a fundamental point about monday's game and about Alabama football in general. It is not about stars and fancy stats. It is about a team playing as a team for 60 full minutes. It is about discipline and heart. It is about a defense that played like hell.

Bama had no turnovers against a team known for producing them. And they had only 1 penalty for 5 yards when there was less than 3 mins left in the game. But you aren't impressed?

LSU averaged over 35 points a game in the 2011 season. Bama held them out of the endzone for 8 quarters of football. But you aren't impressed?

LSU beat 5 teams that are ranked in the BCS final poll, and hung 40 points on all 5 of those teams. Bama held them to zero points. But you aren't impressed?

LSU averaged 215 yards running the ball and averaged 355 yards of total offense in the 2011 season. But the Crimson Tide defense held them to 92 TOTAL yards, 5 first downs and no score. But you aren't impressed?

LSU beat Oregon 40-25. Oregon has been in the top 5 for almost the entire season. But LSU whipped them like a redheaded-stepchild. But that same LSU team couldn't cross the 50 yardline against Bama until halfway thru the 4th quarter. But you aren't impressed?

LSU beat West Virginia 47-21. The same WVA that won a BCS bowl and broke the record for most points scored in a bowl game. Bama pitched the first shutout in a BCS Bowl against the team that whipped WVa, but you aren't impressed?

Frankly, whether you are impressed or not matters little. The crystal trophy is back in Tuscaloosa for the 2nd time in 3 years. On Monday night our team played their hearts out against the #1 team in the nation. And they dominated them from start to finish. They laid it all out there on that field. They played their hearts out for their teamates, their coach, the tradition that is Alabama Football, and for the town that is still suffering from the devastation of that April tornado. They damn sure didn't play to impress some hater living in the past. They played to win. And they did.

Last edited:

Same thing in 2011.

Hate to defend Gumps, but they were undefeated in 2009 - having played 5 top 25 teams before the NC. Is there a rule that says the title doesn't count if the other guy's QB is hurt?

And this year the Gumps failed only once - in overtime - against the best team in college football other than Bama. Whether or not they are remembered as one of the "greatest of all time" might depend on how many defensive players wind up playing for the NFL - so I'd hold your tongue on that one.

In 2007 Pat White was injured in the West Virginia v Pittsburgh game and West Virginia lost, falling from #2 and allowed LSU to rise up to #2 to take their spot. LSU would go on and win the championship. I suppose that means LSU isn't the real NC that year, since an injury got them there in the first place. Of course - LSU had been plagued with multiple starting players injured for the 2nd half of that entire regular season, so maybe we should take off that Arkansas loss and call them a 1 loss team that made it to the NC but didn't really win the title because Pat White got hurt.

Ginscpy, I understand that you apparently hate the Crimson Tide. I have no problem with that. But your understanding of football, or your obstinate refusal to see the facts is laughable.

If you think a running back with 2,000 yards and 24 TDs is over-rated, then you are welcome to your opinion. He was 3rd in the Heiseman voting, so apparently most people who know would disagree with you.

But you are missing a fundamental point about monday's game and about Alabama football in general. It is not about stars and fancy stats. It is about a team playing as a team for 60 full minutes. It is about discipline and heart. It is about a defense that played like hell.

Bama had no turnovers against a team known for producing them. And they had only 1 penalty for 5 yards when there was less than 3 mins left in the game. But you aren't impressed?

LSU averaged over 35 points a game in the 2011 season. Bama held them out of the endzone for 8 quarters of football. But you aren't impressed?

LSU beat 5 teams that are ranked in the BCS final poll, and hung 40 points on all 5 of those teams. Bama held them to zero points. But you aren't impressed?

LSU averaged 215 yards running the ball and averaged 355 yards of total offense in the 2011 season. But the Crimson Tide defense held them to 92 TOTAL yards, 5 first downs and no score. But you aren't impressed?

LSU beat Oregon 40-25. Oregon has been in the top 5 for almost the entire season. But LSU whipped them like a redheaded-stepchild. But that same LSU team couldn't cross the 50 yardline against Bama until halfway thru the 4th quarter. But you aren't impressed?

LSU beat West Virginia 47-21. The same WVA that won a BCS bowl and broke the record for most points scored in a bowl game. Bama pitched the first shutout in a BCS Bowl against the team that whipped WVa, but you aren't impressed?

Frankly, whether you are impressed or not matters little. The crystal trophy is back in Tuscaloosa for the 2nd time in 3 years. On Monday night our team played their hearts out against the #1 team in the nation. And they dominated them from start to finish. They laid it all out there on that field. They played their hearts out for their teamates, their coach, the tradition that is Alabama Football, and for the town that is still suffering from the devastation of that April tornado. They damn sure didn't play to impress some hater living in the past. They played to win. And they did.

WinterBorn -

first off, I'd say that I think even if LSU had given their A game - they still would have lost. It just wouldn't have been so embarrassing. Bama was just on top of it that night, and Saban is a slightly better coach (you will hear few LSU fans deny that).

That being said - there are rumors afloat about a locker room incident that may very well have affected the LSU players' ability to perform. The more particular forms of the rumor involve 1) a fight between Jordan Jefferson and T-Bob Hebert before the game 2) some of the players and coaches asking him to play Lee at halftime and Les refusing,

I will keep you updated, or you may check it out on the Rant
LSU Football | LSU Sports - TigerDroppings.com

Generally rumors on tigerdroppings.com are the quickest to be proved wrong if wrong and the quickest to be shown true if true - Nick Saban leaving LSU started as a rumor on the Rant.

WinterBorn -

first off, I'd say that I think even if LSU had given their A game - they still would have lost. It just wouldn't have been so embarrassing. Bama was just on top of it that night, and Saban is a slightly better coach (you will hear few LSU fans deny that).

That being said - there are rumors afloat about a locker room incident that may very well have affected the LSU players' ability to perform. The more particular forms of the rumor involve 1) a fight between Jordan Jefferson and T-Bob Hebert before the game 2) some of the players and coaches asking him to play Lee at halftime and Les refusing,

I will keep you updated, or you may check it out on the Rant
LSU Football | LSU Sports - TigerDroppings.com

Generally rumors on tigerdroppings.com are the quickest to be proved wrong if wrong and the quickest to be shown true if true - Nick Saban leaving LSU started as a rumor on the Rant.

Im now VERY curious about that. Time for research. Thanks.

I agree that Bama was on fire that night. In fact, that is what I love about college football. Since you are relying on college kids, the fire inside often outweighs the skills either team has.

Keep me posted on what you hear.

Same thing in 2011.

Hate to defend Gumps, but they were undefeated in 2009 - having played 5 top 25 teams before the NC. Is there a rule that says the title doesn't count if the other guy's QB is hurt?

And this year the Gumps failed only once - in overtime - against the best team in college football other than Bama. Whether or not they are remembered as one of the "greatest of all time" might depend on how many defensive players wind up playing for the NFL - so I'd hold your tongue on that one.

In 2007 Pat White was injured in the West Virginia v Pittsburgh game and West Virginia lost, falling from #2 and allowed LSU to rise up to #2 to take their spot. LSU would go on and win the championship. I suppose that means LSU isn't the real NC that year, since an injury got them there in the first place. Of course - LSU had been plagued with multiple starting players injured for the 2nd half of that entire regular season, so maybe we should take off that Arkansas loss and call them a 1 loss team that made it to the NC but didn't really win the title because Pat White got hurt.

Also, if Bradford hadn't been hurt, would Texas have made it to the NC game at all?

I'll take this debate in a different direction...............

1. Jordan Jefferson is NOT a good quarterback. He never has been, and never will be.

2. LSU got to the BCS championship game because of their DEFENSE and SPECIAL TEAMS, not their offense.

3. Les Miles is a VASTLY overrated coach. He is a delegator, at best. Any coach who runs to the WRONG BENCH prior to a game doesn't have a lot going on "upstairs".

4. Nick Saban is the best coach in college football, PERIOD. (Urban Meyer is a close second)

5. It has been proven over and over again that the team with the best DEFENSE wins championships, no matter what the level of competition.

6. Alabama's defense absolutely destroyed LSU. It was easily the best defensive performance in the history of the BCS Championship Game.

7. The game was a GREAT game if you like hard-hitting defensive football. We all got to see at least 30future NFL players in that game. It was college football at it's BEST.

8. The people who are whining about the game being "boring", the teams being overrated, the teams not being the top two teams in the country, playing the "what if" and "yeah, but" games, blah, blah, blah................maybe should have watched reruns of Pawn Stars or American Pickers instead.

Forum List

Back