Not Good News, Since Weakness Never Is

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=19004_Nuke_Watchdog_Barks_in_the_Night&only

Links at site

Nuke Watchdog Barks in the Night

The IAEA’s blind, toothless nuclear watchdog, Mohamed AlBaradei, says the whole nuclear proliferation thing would go away if the imperial forces would only stop humiliating people in North Korea, the Middle East, and Kashmir. (Hat tip: Ethel.)

ElBaradei backed the quest for new technologies, but more immediately he called for international control over all nuclear activities and the creation of a nuclear fuel bank to ensure supplies of uranium to all countries.

While the IAEA is focused primarily on “symptoms,” he said the international community should also deal with the underlying causes that spur nuclear proliferation.

“We have three conflicts that have been going on at least for 50, 60, 70 years. That’s the Korean issue, the Middle East issue, the south Asia Kashmir issue,” he said. “If you fix these three issues, in my view, at least in my area, 80 to 90 percent of the proliferation threat will go away,” he said Thursday. [See? It’s simple! Just fix these three issues! —ed.]

“It is unacceptable, frankly, from my perspective to see conflict going on for 60, 70 years,” ElBaradei said.

While there were many driving forces that create extremists, he said, “my personal take on it - it’s really the sense of humiliation. It’s not just poverty. It’s the sense of injustice and humiliation.”

“Lots of that is taking place both on the hands of national governments, lack of good governance, suppression of human rights. Lots of that is coming also from the outside. And if you have that coming both ways, you see a lot of extremists,” ElBaradei said.

Incisive reasoning like that is why ElBaradei gets the Nobel Peace Prize. He’s the best friend nuclear proliferation ever had.

Forum List

Back