Not enough angry white guys?

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
The tensions come amid a debate within the GOP on how best to lure new voters. The nation’s shifting demographics have caused some Republican leaders to worry not only about the party’s future but about winning in November, particularly in key swing states such as Virginia and Nevada.

“The demographics race we’re losing badly,” said Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (S.C.). “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

As Republican convention emphasizes diversity, racial incidents intrude - The Washington Post

“This Republican Party base is white, aging and dying off,”

that is the end game

obama.jpg

You have to love the WashingtonCompost, racial INCIDENTS intrude

this is what Republicans are up against with the left leaning Lamestream media folks

Well, let's see. To lure new voters piss off Hispanics and Blacks. Tell women they are second class citizens and should not have control over their own bodies. And that they should just accept whatever fate hands them, especialy if what it hands them is a baby concieved out of a rape. Tell the seniors that you are going to fundementally change Medicare, but it won't affect them, at least not until you take office.

Yes, the GOP is really attracting new voters.

Here's the problem.

Whites have been declining as a percentage of the voting block since 1992. Really, since longer than that, except there was an uptick in 1992 because of the excitement Ross Perot caused in people who don't normally vote.

Whites were 90% of the electorate in 1976 but only 74% in 2008.

The Republican Party decided that playing on white fears was the way to go, from Nixon's "Southern Strategy" of peeling off Wallace Supporters in the South, to Reagan's imaginary Welfare Queen to the reprehensible "Willie Horton" ads in 1988 that Bush Sr. used.

Now, to give him credit, because not enough people do, George W. Bush saw this as wrong-headed. He cast himself as a "compassionate conservative". He did outreaches to minorities. He appointed the first black Secretary of State and the first Hispanic Attorney General. He sought a sane resolution to the illegal alien problem. And in 2004, he got 11% of the black vote and 44% of the Hispanic vote.

Today, they won't even invite him to the convention.

Romney has made the calculation that blacks won't vote for him because of Obama's historical place amongst them, and Hispanics won't vote for him because he had to go full blown nativist.

I think all manner of bad things about Mitt Romney, but I don't think he's a racist (even if his religion is.) But his calculation is that if he can't get much in the way of minority votes, his whole plan is contigent on getting white folks angry and playing on their fears. Thus he embraces the Birthers and makes misleading claims about welfare reform.

Here's the problem.

Whites have been declining as a percentage of the voting block since 1992. Really, since longer than that, except there was an uptick in 1992 because of the excitement Ross Perot caused in people who don't normally vote.

The Republican Party decided that playing on white fears was the way to go, from Nixon's "Southern Strategy" of peeling off Wallace Supporters in the South, to Reagan's imaginary Welfare Queen to the reprehensible "Willie Horton" ads in 1988 that Bush Sr. used.

Now, to give him credit, because not enough people do, George W. Bush saw this as wrong-headed. He cast himself as a "compassionate conservative". He did outreaches to minorities. He appointed the first black Secretary of State and the first Hispanic Attorney General. He sought a sane resolution to the illegal alien problem. And in 2004, he got 11% of the black vote and 44% of the Hispanic vote.

Romney has made the calculation that blacks won't vote for him because of Obama's historical place amongst them, and Hispanics won't vote for him because he had to go full blown nativist.

I think all manner of bad things about Mitt Romney, but I don't think he's a racist (even if his religion is.) But his calculation is that if he can't get much in the way of minority votes, his whole plan is contigent on getting white folks angry and playing on their fears. Thus he embraces the Birthers and makes misleading claims about welfare reform.

You have become PATHETC

You have become PATHETC

Stephie, someone needs to explain to you that contradiction is not an argument.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdoGVgj1MtY]Argument Clinic From Monty Python's Flying Circus - YouTube[/ame]

You have become PATHETC

Stephie, someone needs to explain to you that contradiction is not an argument.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdoGVgj1MtY]Argument Clinic From Monty Python's Flying Circus - YouTube[/ame]

You really believe you have it ALL figured out, that's what's so funny

Of course I do.

Voted Republican for years, until I realized that is exactly what these guys do.

Find some hot button, emotional issue to push, and keep pushing it, and hope you don't notice they are taking that nice middle class lifestyle your parents enjoyed and shipping it off to China for a profit.

To the point, though, Bush-43 was trying to steer the party in a better direction. So was McCain. Romney is severely backsliding and has probably put the GOP Back 20 years.

Here's the problem.

^^^^^^ Nailed it ^^^^^

The tensions come amid a debate within the GOP on how best to lure new voters. The nation’s shifting demographics have caused some Republican leaders to worry not only about the party’s future but about winning in November, particularly in key swing states such as Virginia and Nevada.

“The demographics race we’re losing badly,” said Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (S.C.). “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

As Republican convention emphasizes diversity, racial incidents intrude - The Washington Post

Jeb Bush made a similar argument the other day. Wise statement.

Jeb Bush made a similar argument the other day. Wise statement.

What did he say?

Uncle Ferd says its `cause all dem Hispexicans comin' up here an' shootin' ever'body...
:eek:
Life expectancy shrinks for less-educated whites
21 Sept.`12 - To actually go backward is deeply troubling'
For generations of Americans, it was a given that children would live longer than their parents. But there is now mounting evidence that this enduring trend has reversed itself for the country’s least-educated whites, an increasingly troubled group whose life expectancy has fallen by four years since 1990. Researchers have long documented that the most educated Americans were making the biggest gains in life expectancy, but now they say mortality data show that life spans for some of the least educated Americans are actually contracting. Four studies in recent years identified modest declines, but a new one that looks separately at Americans lacking a high school diploma found disturbingly sharp drops in life expectancy for whites in this group. Experts not involved in the new research said its findings were persuasive.

The reasons for the decline remain unclear, but researchers offered possible explanations, including a spike in prescription drug overdoses among young whites, higher rates of smoking among less educated white women, rising obesity, and a steady increase in the number of the least educated Americans who lack health insurance. The steepest declines were for white women without a high school diploma, who lost five years of life between 1990 and 2008, said S. Jay Olshansky, a public health professor at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the lead investigator on the study, published last month in Health Affairs. By 2008, life expectancy for black women without a high school diploma had surpassed that of white women of the same education level, the study found.

White men lacking a high school diploma lost three years of life. Life expectancy for both blacks and Hispanics of the same education level rose, the data showed. But blacks over all do not live as long as whites, while Hispanics live longer than both whites and blacks. “We’re used to looking at groups and complaining that their mortality rates haven’t improved fast enough, but to actually go backward is deeply troubling,” said John G. Haaga, head of the Population and Social Processes Branch of the National Institute on Aging, who was not involved in the new study. The five-year decline for white women rivals the catastrophic seven-year drop for Russian men in the years after the collapse of the Soviet Union, said Michael Marmot, director of the Institute of Health Equity in London.

The decline among the least educated non-Hispanic whites, who make up a shrinking share of the population, widened an already troubling gap. The latest estimate shows life expectancy for white women without a high school diploma was 73.5 years, compared with 83.9 years for white women with a college degree or more. For white men, the gap was even bigger: 67.5 years for the least educated white men compared with 80.4 for those with a college degree or better. The dropping life expectancies have helped weigh down the United States in international life expectancy rankings, particularly for women. In 2010, American women fell to 41st place, down from 14th place in 1985, in the United Nations rankings. Among developed countries, American women sank from the middle of the pack in 1970 to last place in 2010, according to the Human Mortality Database. The slump is so vexing that it became the subject of an inquiry by the National Academy of Sciences, which published a report on it last year.

MORE

I am white, and voted for Obama. I will again.
Living in a Mormon society in no way prepares you to be President of the U.S. They are disconnected.
I love the fact that the Republican candidate finally figured out that he can't possibly win this election.
Too many of us are Americans..... We are dependent on the state for too much sez' he.

Joke that guy.
He has no clue.
Never been a true tax paying citizen. Hiding money in overseas tax shelters. This guy had the guts, or stupidity to run for our President? Well get me another wife! I am amazed.

Forum List

Back