Nostalgic things that make the room kind of dusty

RandomPoster

Platinum Member
May 22, 2017
What things take you back to your childhood? For me it's professional Wrestling and Hee Haw simply because it brings me back to the one day as kids that we were guaranteed to have off every week, except for church and Sunday school.

One of the fondest memories of my childhood is Sunday morning. After Sunday school, we had the rest of the entire day off because there were no chores on Sunday. My little brother and I would run home as fast as we could so we watch the last half hour of professional Wrestling, more specifically All Star Wrestling or the AWA as it was known. Then we would go outside and wrestle in the back woods and horse around and stuff. We came in for supper when our mom called and then we all ate supper. Then my dad and us boys went into the living room and watched Hee Haw while the girls cleaned up and did the dishes. My dad would put his feet up and drink beer while us boys wrestled on the floor. We all hooted and hollered and laughed at the show while my mom and the girls sat at the kitchen table and talked and occasionally brought us popcorn and drinks.

Television programs weren't big on my nostalgia list... but I do have fond memories of Bonanza, Star Trek, Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, Smothers Brothers, That Was the Week That Was, and of course the news programming every night. My parents loved those variety shows with music, dancing, and other boring crap... like the Lawrence Welk Show, Ed Sullivan, etc.

Another thing that brings me back is when I see a shotgun laying in a pickup truck next to a case of beer. This reminds me of my teenage years where we would get an older kid to buy us beer and we would all pile in the back of a pickup truck to go roadin'. The drive stays sober and we pile into the box of the truck and get drunk while he drives and we would shoot and trees and random stuff. When you were young like that you didn't have a care in the world and had an eternity of you.

When I was young watching television wasn't even on my list of things to do. We were outside as much as we possibly could be. We were active. Something today's yutes need badly.

When I was young watching television wasn't even on my list of things to do. We were outside as much as we possibly could be. We were active. Something today's yutes need badly.

On Saturday mornings weather permitting we would disappear after chores, show up for lunch, vanish again, come back for dinner and disappear once again until it got dark.

It was a town divided by forest. We stayed in the forest. The parents never came out there ... :auiqs.jpg:

When you look back it seems that the T.V. series "Hee Haw" was profoundly offensive to the Southern culture. Ironically the writers and some of the regulars were Canadian.

When you look back it seems that the T.V. series "Hee Haw" was profoundly offensive to the Southern culture. Ironically the writers and some of the regulars were Canadian.

Being offensive was de rigueur in comedy back then. People have since become overcooked linguini.

Snow and the smell of lilacs.

Almost all of the old shows have been resurrected. Because the current television shows have gotten so offensive I've turned back to the old ones.

Being offensive was de rigueur in comedy back then. People have since become overcooked linguini.
Bring offensive was never "de-rigueur" but satire was accepted. The problem was that Hee Haw intentionally ridiculed hard working people of the South and was sold as a cultural experience and a variety show. Roy Clark and Buck Owens laughed all the way to the bank while they insulted their own people for a decade with inane jokes written by freaking Canadians.

Some perfume scents...... certain music.....places and buildings that I visited as a child (that are still standing)....

Some people... some faces......and may be many more things that I can't recall at the moment

I love nostalgia.

Forum List

Back