Norwegian mass killer ruled insane, likely to avoid jail

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Dreamingwolf, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Dreamingwolf

Dreamingwolf Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Reuters is reporting this. How is it right that a mass murderer like this who executed a complex plan be called insane?

2. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,684
    I could say it was planned like that all along but that would be a "conspiracy theory" and "crazy talk". :uhoh3:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Dreamingwolf

Dreamingwolf Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Are you saying that all the media material he created leading up to his killing spree, he designed to keep himself out of prison? I could believe that.

4. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,684
    No, he couldn't possibly have done that all by himself. In fact it's proven that he "copy/pasted" much of his "Manifesto" from another source.

But again, that would be a "conspiracy theory" and "crazy talk". :uhoh3:

5. Euro

Euro Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Considering that the longest sentence in Norway is 21 years in jail, it’s better and safer that he spends the rest of his life in a mental hospital. That way he’ll never come out again.

6. Dreamingwolf

Dreamingwolf Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Norway has a justice tool called "forvaring" or indefinate custody if the subject is deemed dangerous to the public, so it is possible to keep him in prison for his entire life. Under psych care, hes out once hes deemed sane.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  7. George Costanza

George Costanza A Friendly Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    Insanity does not necessarily mean that the insane person is incapable of intelligent thought.

How could someone who systematically kills dozens of people NOT be called insane? Think about it. One definition of insanity is being out of touch with reality. I wouild say that what this guy did is pretty far removed from the kind of reality most of us would recognize. Could you ever conceive of yourself doing something like that?

Of course, I'm sure his mental situation is much, much more complex than the simple analysis I offer here, and I'm sure that he is indeed, totally insane. So he spends the rest of his life in a home for the bewildered - seems appropriate to me. What do you want to do - draw and quarter him in the public square?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  8. Dreamingwolf

Dreamingwolf Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yes. But I would settle for a tiny uncomfortable cell for the rest of his life. If they go the insane route, and in a year they deem him no longer insane hes free to go right?

Thats how I understand the insanity gig, not sure if norway works the same.

9. George Costanza

George Costanza A Friendly Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    No. He hasn't had trial yet. He has been deemed incapable of even having a trial due to his insanity. If he is no longer insane, then he is able to participate in his trial and the trial will be held.

The most common situation is where the defendant is insane when he commits the crime but is competent to stand trial. If he is found not guilty by reason of insanity, he is then placed in an institution where he will provbably remain for the rest of his life. If he does regain sanity and is found to no longer be a danger to society, he would then be released.

Suppose, however, the defendant is insane when he commits the crime and is also incompetent to stand trail due to his insanity at time of trial. He is placed in an institution where he regains his sanity. Now he is competent to stand trial. Trial is held, and he is found not guilty of the crime by reason of insanity. Now what? He cannot be placed in an institution, because he is now sane. In such a case, he would go free, since the law says that a person is not legally responsible for crimes they commit while insane.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  10. Zander

Zander Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,894
    This is a case where lethal injection seems appropriate to me. He killed a bunch of kids in cold blood in front of hundreds of witnesses. He's insane? DAH!!!!! Give him a dirt nap.....The "trial" should be a mere formality.