North vs South

violet

Rookie
Nov 30, 2011
North vs South?
First let me say I am not trying to pick a fight or rehash the Civil war,I'm trying to understand something that I thought was long dead. I'm a Northerner born and raised and very proud of family and heritage.

Recently I have been encountering some remarks about people up North from folks living down South that weren't nice to say the least. My sister, whose Ex- in- laws are from the Carolina's, tells me it's common, or at least it was with her inlaws, to make "Damn Yankee" comments.

I'll be the first to admit the North East is very rude and obnoxious or can seem so to people who don't live here.The further North you go the worse it gets. I've been in the South several times but never encountered this prejudice face to face, but on line it seems to be prevalent.

It's 2012 the Civil War was in the 1860's and I gotta say that most people in the USA did the major immigration thing in the early 1900's and their family's weren't even here during the Civil War. So here's the Question. Why the long standing animosity with Southerner's toward the North? Seems as silly to me as blacks going on about Slavery when they never were slaves or American's getting testy about the Brit's over the Revolution. Why can't this country move on?

North vs South?
First let me say I am not trying to pick a fight or rehash the Civil war,I'm trying to understand something that I thought was long dead. I'm a Northerner born and raised and very proud of family and heritage.

Recently I have been encountering some remarks about people up North from folks living down South that weren't nice to say the least. My sister, whose Ex- in- laws are from the Carolina's, tells me it's common, or at least it was with her inlaws, to make "Damn Yankee" comments.

I'll be the first to admit the North East is very rude and obnoxious or can seem so to people who don't live here.The further North you go the worse it gets. I've been in the South several times but never encountered this prejudice face to face, but on line it seems to be prevalent.

It's 2012 the Civil War was in the 1860's and I gotta say that most people in the USA did the major immigration thing in the early 1900's and their family's weren't even here during the Civil War. So here's the Question. Why the long standing animosity with Southerner's toward the North? Seems as silly to me as blacks going on about Slavery when they never were slaves or American's getting testy about the Brit's over the Revolution. Why can't this country move on?

Might be some politics involved, the south being the religious right and the northeast being liberal eliteist. And maybe a bit snobbish about it too.

North vs South?

Sweet tea vs unsweetened tea....

thems is fighting words!!!!

:lol:

college football is better in the south right now. Best players in the NFL come from everywhere. Best NFL teams are in the north.

North vs South?

I'm guessing today a lot of it has to do with political differences. I have occasionally heard people here in the south complain about all the northerners moving down here and bringing their "liberal" politics with them that ruined their home state to begin with, but it's not really all that common. I'm from Boston so the letter "R" is not my friend. It's painfully obvious where I'm from and I haven't really had any problems with anybody down here other than my southern friends who like to occasionally rip on me about it, but that's what your buddies do.

Pity the South.

They were the only people to fight a war to prove that they were better than the slaves and lost.

See right there is the problem. Most Liberal Yankees heard way back when about racism in the South and assume it continues to this day.
Having been brought up in New England and lived in the South for the last 11 years, I can tell you that racism, both white of black and black of white is a whole lot more rampant in Connecticut than in Alabama.
Sure you'll get some racism in the larger cities, but if you look close, the cities in the South with racial problems are nearly all run by Democrats.

North vs South?

I'm guessing today a lot of it has to do with political differences. I have occasionally heard people here in the south complain about all the northerners moving down here and bringing their "liberal" politics with them that ruined their home state to begin with, but it's not really all that common. I'm from Boston so the letter "R" is not my friend. It's painfully obvious where I'm from and I haven't really had any problems with anybody down here other than my southern friends who like to occasionally rip on me about it, but that's what your buddies do.
Fixed your avatar for you.

Attachments

• $NEP.png
    $NEP.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 123
North vs South?

Actually I love both! Never had sweet tea until a few years ago when McDonalds started selling it. It was like, what is this and where has it been all my life.lol Now I'm addicted.

North vs South?

Actually I love both! Never had sweet tea until a few years ago when McDonalds started selling it. It was like, what is this and where has it been all my life.lol Now I'm addicted.

sweet tea is a southern thing..... there is no such thing as unsweetened tea.

Lets try another one..... do you keep bacon grease?

Last edited:
North vs South?

Hate to tell you but I'm from CT and we'd probably tease you for the Boston accent too. Of course you'd probably return fire for the way we speak. I've been told we sound New Yorkish although I think we sound normal. LOL

sweet tea is a southern thing..... there is not such thing as unsweetened tea.

When I was younger I saved it cause I couldn't afford vegtebale oil for frying. Sometimes I still keep it if I'm making french fries or hash browns, but aside from that I toss the bacon fat.

Pity the South.

They were the only people to fight a war to prove that they were better than the slaves and lost.

See right there is the problem. Most Liberal Yankees heard way back when about racism in the South and assume it continues to this day.
Having been brought up in New England and lived in the South for the last 11 years, I can tell you that racism, both white of black and black of white is a whole lot more rampant in Connecticut than in Alabama.
Sure you'll get some racism in the larger cities, but if you look close, the cities in the South with racial problems are nearly all run by Democrats.

Yup,I live in CT and we got plenty of racism to go around. I don't know about how the South is doing with it but here,like you said, the racism goes both ways and blacks give as good as they get. I don't know about the political end of it though. I know plenty of conservative Republican who are just as racist as any Democrat.

When I was younger I saved it cause I couldn't afford vegtebale oil for frying. Sometimes I still keep it if I'm making french fries or hash browns, but aside from that I toss the bacon fat.

:eek: you dont save bacon grease??? LOL

ok... to your question. Considering this is such a BIG country i dont think describing it as cultural differences to far off.

I dont think damn yankee is meant in terms of the civil war dam yankee.... but more of a general insult.

Yankees stay up north. Damn yankees move down here and irritate me. Big difference. :)

I'm not wholly acclimated to Alabama yet. I mix sweet tea with unsweetened tea.

:eek: you dont save bacon grease??? LOL

ok... to your question. Considering this is such a BIG country i dont think describing it as cultural differences to far off.

I dont think damn yankee is meant in terms of the civil war dam yankee.... but more of a general insult.

No I like having unclogged arteries, lol, doctors orders :( But bacon grease does make everything that much tastier.

Yankees stay up north. Damn yankees move down here and irritate me. Big difference. :)

Is that an invitation for me to come and stay at your place! Oh a road trip would be fun we can take NLT with us and go visit several of our mutual friends. I'm so excited!!!!!

Forum List

Back