North-South humor

Shattered said:
Is that anything like oatmeal? :D

BLASPHEMY!!!

You've heard the Cream of Wheat comparison, well it's made from corn, so it's more like "Cream of Corn." As far as the maple syrup thing, that might not be a bad idea, but grits are not intended to be sweet most of the time. Think of it as the breakfast equivalent of cornbread.

Hobbit said:
BLASPHEMY!!!

You've heard the Cream of Wheat comparison, well it's made from corn, so it's more like "Cream of Corn." As far as the maple syrup thing, that might not be a bad idea, but grits are not intended to be sweet most of the time. Think of it as the breakfast equivalent of cornbread.

Uh.. Then why not just eat cornbread?

Baked chicken, homemade mac & cheese, cornbread, and sesame garlic green beans is a meal to die for.. Can't imagine throwing an oatmeal-like substance into the mix. :D:D:D

Shattered said:
Uh.. Then why not just eat cornbread?

Baked chicken, homemade mac & cheese, cornbread, and sesame garlic green beans is a meal to die for.. Can't imagine throwing an oatmeal-like substance into the mix. :D:D:D

Note I said "breakfast equivalent." It's like having rolls instead of oatmeal. Grits go with bacon and eggs. Cornbread goes with...well...pretty much any non-breakfast meal involving meat.

Hobbit said:
Note I said "breakfast equivalent." It's like having rolls instead of oatmeal. Grits go with bacon and eggs. Cornbread goes with...well...pretty much any non-breakfast meal involving meat.

Daaamn. Here I was under the mistaken impression that toast went with bacon & eggs..

Guess I wouldn't make a good Southern girl after all.. :)

grits and sausage! mmm mmm

Grits are ground up hominy and they taste good with all kinds of stuff in em. Even syrup or just plain ole butter and sugar when your sweet tooth is acting up.

Take the seasonings out of sausage, and it might be edible...if you can drain enough of the grease... :)

Shattered said:
Take the seasonings out of sausage, and it might be edible...if you can drain enough of the grease... :)

there are all kinds of sausage, so not sure what you mean by "grease".

The best sausage with grits, in my opinion, is andouille sausage. You must just be imagining greasy pork sausage or something like that.

freeandfun1 said:
there are all kinds of sausage, so not sure what you mean by "grease".

The best sausage with grits, in my opinion, is andouille sausage. You must just be imagining greasy pork sausage or something like that.

Dunno.. So far, I've hated just about every sausage I've ever tried, and more often than not it's because of the seasonings (and yes, the grease in ground pork sausage, too)..

freeandfun1 said:
This one is my favorite. It reminds me of how my momma used to (heck, still does) keep a coffee can next to the stove so she would pour the bacon grease into it after cook'n some.

We have to do this, even though we don't use the grease in cooking anymore but you can't put grease in a septic system it will clog up the percolation in the leach field and cause some major problems. Since it takes forever for the enzymes to eat grease it simply isn't wise.

Shattered said:
My brother used to actually eat school glue (and paste, and green crayons!).. Wonder if he likes them..

If they're like Cream of Wheat, then they sound better with butter and maple syrup, rather than cheese.

Everybody who knows anything about grits knows you don't put sugar or syrup on them. It is butter and salt...

However if you are German you use sharp cheddar cheese on many things that others would never think it belongs. For example, sharp cheddar cheese goes well with hot apple pie as well as in Grits.

no1tovote4 said:
Everybody who knows anything about grits knows you don't put sugar or syrup on them. It is butter and salt...

However if you are German you use sharp cheddar cheese on many things that others would never think it belongs. For example, sharp cheddar cheese goes well with hot apple pie as well as in Grits.

I would disagree about the butter and sugar or syrup. I grew up in the south and many people would do that when they were wanting some sweets. My dad always put butter and sugar on em with and some milk.

no1tovote4 said:
We have to do this, even though we don't use the grease in cooking anymore but you can't put grease in a septic system it will clog up the percolation in the leach field and cause some major problems. Since it takes forever for the enzymes to eat grease it simply isn't wise.
my grandama cooked with lard up til the day she died! nowo that give alot of flavor to be sure

no1tovote4 said:

to be sure! that is the best way, imo anyway, to eat them.

no1tovote4 said:

I don't at all agree with that statement. I know a lot of Southerners that eat their grits that way sometimes.

Granted, salt and butter, sausage and eggs, etc. were the mainstays, but sugar and butter is not at all uncommon or non-Southern.

freeandfun1 said:
I don't at all agree with that statement. I know a lot of Southerners that eat their grits that way sometimes.

Granted, salt and butter, sausage and eggs, etc. were the mainstays, but sugar and butter is not at all uncommon or non-Southern.
Yeah and what tehy dont eat they make into sandpaper....I know thats true because sandpaper is rated by its grits.

Forum List

Back