North Korea’s rocket costs as much as a year’s worth of food

bluesky79

Apr 21, 2008
The Ministry of Unification estimated the cost of North Korea's two rocket launches this year to be nearly equivalent to a year's worth of food for the country. An official with the ministry told reporters on Dec. 6 that North Korea had spent a total of US$1.34 billion on rocket launches since the Kim Jong-un regime took power this in April of this year.

This is enough money to buy a year's worth of food for North Korea (5.3 million tons of corn). The North Korean food demand for one year is equivalent to 5.3 million tons of corn, which is valued at US$1.5 billion according to international market rates. The country's annual food shortfall is estimated at one million tons, or about US$300 million.
By this standard, the total of US$1.34 billion would be nearly equal to the annual cost of food and enough to cover the shortfall for four to five years. Analysts said the ministry's aim in comparing the rocket

development costs with the North Korean food situation was to highlight the immorality of the regime in Pyongyang. I hope North Korea will put their toward solving its peoples’ food shortage.
(North Korea considers delaying rocket launch - Yahoo! News)

40 million US citizens need food stamps to survive, where is Yahoo News now?

This - of course - is propaganda and boundless hypocrisy. North Korea can not buy food, because its banks, trade companies and industrial companies are banned by western sanctions:
North Korea - Sanctions Wiki

North Korea makes things like batteries, CNC machines, electronics, etc at high quality and is a supplier of resources.

North Korea buys food from China, but this is also limited, because China has problems to supply its own population with food.

And this is the main reason for the food situation:
North Korea´s geography allows only an agricultural usable area as big as 14 % of its entire area and that at a population density of 190 people per km². USA: 20 % at 31 people per km².

But the situation is much better than the propagandists want to make you believe.
This interesting article of the Asia Times provides a more realistic picture of the situation in North Korea than the traditional propaganda articles do:
Asia Times Online :: Korea News and Korean Business and Economy, Pyongyang News

North Korean postage stamp:
dprk-cnc-stamp.gif

Last edited:
Amazing that we have a cheerleader here for the most repressive, fucked-up, nightmare of a country in the entire world.

I mean 'murderous' as in if you speak one word against the regime in public you will be murdered and your family will be thrown into a labor camp if they are lucky.

I mean 'murderous' as in if you try to leave the country you will be shot in the back and your family thrown into a labor camp if they are lucky.

I mean 'murderous' as in if you are judged to be insufficiently worshipful of the dictatorship you will be executed in public (a public forced to watch what happens to you) and your family thrown into a labor camp if they are lucky.

That sort of thing.

The Ministry of Unification estimated the cost of North Korea's two rocket launches this year to be nearly equivalent to a year's worth of food for the country. An official with the ministry told reporters on Dec. 6 that North Korea had spent a total of US$1.34 billion on rocket launches since the Kim Jong-un regime took power this in April of this year.

This is enough money to buy a year's worth of food for North Korea (5.3 million tons of corn). The North Korean food demand for one year is equivalent to 5.3 million tons of corn, which is valued at US$1.5 billion according to international market rates. The country's annual food shortfall is estimated at one million tons, or about US$300 million.
By this standard, the total of US$1.34 billion would be nearly equal to the annual cost of food and enough to cover the shortfall for four to five years. Analysts said the ministry's aim in comparing the rocket

development costs with the North Korean food situation was to highlight the immorality of the regime in Pyongyang. I hope North Korea will put their toward solving its peoples’ food shortage.

If North Korea wants to spend their money on rockets by starving their own people I really don't give a damn. I think it is the people of North Korea who are the ones who should be doing something about it.

If North Korea wants to spend their money on rockets by starving their own people I really don't give a damn.

Then you're not a human being.

I mean 'murderous' as in if you speak one word against the regime in public you will be murdered and your family will be thrown into a labor camp if they are lucky.

I mean 'murderous' as in if you try to leave the country you will be shot in the back and your family thrown into a labor camp if they are lucky.

I mean 'murderous' as in if you are judged to be insufficiently worshipful of the dictatorship you will be executed in public (a public forced to watch what happens to you) and your family thrown into a labor camp if they are lucky.

That sort of thing.
North Korea has denied the existence of such camps in the last UN meeting this year. The Camps are western propaganda, the spokesman said.
Pictures from Maoist public executions in China can not fool me.

Last edited:
We know the camps are there from survivors who managed to escape that hell hole and from satellite images. The question is, why are you so eager to play the useful fool for the most repressive regime in the world? Do you have some anti-West itch that needs to be scratched that badly?

We know the camps are there from survivors who managed to escape that hell hole and from satellite images. The question is, why are you so eager to play the useful fool for the most repressive regime in the world? Do you have some anti-West itch that needs to be scratched that badly?
You have no satellite images (show me one) and your "survivors" are well payed.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back