North Koreas Healthcare System

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Amazing that this country can continue to function

North Korea's 'horrifying' health care system - The Week

How bad are the hospitals in North Korea?
With the government spending less than $1 per person on health care per year, many hospitals operate without electricity or heat, and doctors are forced to work by candlelight. Most hospitals no longer stock medicines because staff sell them on the black market. And doctors perform serious operations without anesthetic, with orderlies restraining the patient while the doctor gets down to the grisly work. "I was in so much pain that I screamed and eventually fainted from the pain," a 24-year-old told Amnesty after having his leg amputated.

Why are people in North Korea so sick?
Food shortages have caused widespread malnutrition. More than a million North Koreans died of famine in the 1990s, and authorities began encouraging people to eat only two meals a day. The United Nations estimated in 1996 that wild foods, such as tree bark, roots, and grass, made up about 30 percent of the average North Korean's diet. And despite recent improvement, food is still in short supply. A bungled currency re-evaluation in 2009 doubled the price of rice overnight, leaving thousands to starve to death. And Amnesty says North Korea is in the throes of a tuberculosis epidemic brought on by malnutrition

Last edited:
When compared to South Korea, it is amazing this country can function at all. Its people are starving and if you get sick, you die.

There is no way this country could invade the South with its current economy

resistance is futile!

The deal is, rationing exists. The question is how and by whom. North Korea is an example of the 0bamacare problem, where the questions of by who, for who, and how are taken to their extreme conclusion.

Every state run system has the issue of spending priorities badly or weirdly managed. North Korea just wont do stupid by halves, the way the rest of the world does.

resistance is futile!

The deal is, rationing exists. The question is how and by whom. North Korea is an example of the 0bamacare problem, where the questions of by who, for who, and how are taken to their extreme conclusion.

Every state run system has the issue of spending priorities badly or weirdly managed. North Korea just wont do stupid by halves, the way the rest of the world does.

So now the US= N Korea

Only a rightwing conservative could make that comparison

I didn't say that. I said the North Korean example is an extreme example of the 0bamacare problem. Rationing by who, for who and under what priority list. When you have rationing controlled by a central authority rather than by individual need, this is the kind of result you get.

I am not going to say you are Rdean, but that is an example of an Rdean syllogism. Righwinger stupidity and deliberate obtuseness is not the same as Rdean stupidity and obtuseness. If you feel the urge to make a thread about how only 6% of US scientists are Republican, resist it.

And if we are talking US=North Korea, the way the US media was talking about 0bama 18 months ago would have given a North Korean journalist fresh inspiration on how to handle the greatness of dear leader. But the US media has started to come to its senses, something not permitted in North Korea.

I didn't say that. I said the North Korean example is an extreme example of the 0bamacare problem. Rationing by who, for who and under what priority list. When you have rationing controlled by a central authority rather than by individual need, this is the kind of result you get.

I am not going to say you are Rdean, but that is an example of an Rdean syllogism. Righwinger stupidity and deliberate obtuseness is not the same as Rdean stupidity and obtuseness. If you feel the urge to make a thread about how only 6% of US scientists are Republican, resist it.

And if we are talking US=North Korea, the way the US media was talking about 0bama 18 months ago would have given a North Korean journalist fresh inspiration on how to handle the greatness of dear leader. But the US media has started to come to its senses, something not permitted in North Korea.

Oh really?

Please demonstrate how N Koreas current economic system is a result of the burden their healthcare system puts on their economy

Did you give Rdean access to your account today? This is not like you.

The issue is that health care, like everything else there, is rationed according to the needs of the state apparatus, rather than the needs of the people who live there. Pyonyang gets better health care than Wonsan, if you are part of the officer corps in Pyongyang you get better health care yet, and if you are part of the elite, there is better care even yet.

The needs of the poeple for food and shelter and medical are second to the need of the army. North Korea has a population less than 8% of that of the US, and maintains a military force of nearly equivalent size.

The issue here is who determines what is needed in the medical care field. The people who care and know, or the people who don't care and know only the rules of career enhancement.

North Korea stands on its own as a very unique situation. There is no comparison with any other country.

Years ago (I forget how long ago), the South delivered cattle to the North as a humanitarian gesture. The North penned the cattle on its side of the DMZ. The South got to watch the cattle starve to death from the south side of the DMZ.

The North Koreans suspected the cattle was poisoned and preferred to let them waste away rather than conduct any tests to confirm their suspicions.

How do you reason with a country like that?

With the government spending less than $1 per person on health care per year, many hospitals operate without electricity or heat, and doctors are forced to work by candlelight. Most hospitals no longer stock medicines because staff sell them on the black market. And doctors perform serious operations without anesthetic, with orderlies restraining the patient while the doctor gets down to the grisly work. "I was in so much pain that I screamed and eventually fainted from the pain," a 24-year-old told Amnesty after having his leg amputated.

Food shortages have caused widespread malnutrition. More than a million North Koreans died of famine in the 1990s, and authorities began encouraging people to eat only two meals a day. The United Nations estimated in 1996 that wild foods, such as tree bark, roots, and grass, made up about 30 percent of the average North Korean's diet. And despite recent improvement, food is still in short supply. A bungled currency re-evaluation in 2009 doubled the price of rice overnight, leaving thousands to starve to death. And Amnesty says North Korea is in the throes of a tuberculosis epidemic brought on by malnutrition

Universal Health Care at its finest under a Centrally planned economy.

Why do we resist?

Universal Health Care at its finest under a Centrally planned economy.

Why do we resist?

Yes...Universal Healthcare coming from an economy that can't even produce electricity

Nice stretch Frankie

Forum List

Back