North Korea: Paper Tiger

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
Another day, it must be another weapons test for North Korea. And that means wailing and gnashing of teeth from Seoul to Washington. And presidential statements denouncing the grave threat posed to world peace.

Yet the so-called Democratic People's Republic of Korea is an impoverished wreck. One American carrier group has more firepower than the entire North Korean military. It is the U.S. which threatens Pyongyang, not the other way around.

Campaign For Liberty — North Korea: Paper Tiger   | by Doug Bandow

The one thing the North Korean Government pays for is the military. It has massed artillery in range of Seoul and can level that MAJOR population center in a matter of hours. It has ammunition weapons and millions of men under arms. They are in prepared positions in rough and mountainous terrain.

They are anything but a paper tiger.

N.K is an economic basket case but somehow it manages to still have a first class military?

How does that happen, anyway?

N.K is an economic basket case but somehow it manages to still have a first class military?

Despotism and totalitarian government.

3 million under arms, been poised on the 38th parallel for over 50 years. The Korean war never actually ended, there's merely been a cease fire.

To the OP: Exactly how has the US "threatened" NK? Does the author of the article elucidate?

It does not have to be 1st class. It just has to be effective. The artillery would level Seoul in hours. Killing millions. They are in dug in positions in mountainous and rough terrain in positions prepared and reinforced for over 50 YEARS. As I understand it there is an extensive minefield also.

For over 50 years they have trained for 2 things, launching an assault and defending against an assault. We have done neither. Since the 90's I don't think we have even held annual Marine war games for defending Korea. And the Army never trains for it, except the truncated Division that is there.

3 million under arms, been poised on the 38th parallel for over 50 years. The Korean war never actually ended, there's merely been a cease fire.

To the OP: Exactly how has the US "threatened" NK? Does the author of the article elucidate?

Our troops are right next door. We would call it threatening if North Korea had troops stationed on the border of Mexico and the United States, and I'm sure they feel the same way.

Our troops are right next door. We would call it threatening if North Korea had troops stationed on the border of Mexico and the United States, and I'm sure they feel the same way.
Complete strawman. Our troops are at the 38th parallel by AGREEMENT as part of the cease fire. NK AGREED to this.

When the US agrees to a cease fire with Mexico which allows their troops on our border and vice-versa, you'll then almost have a point.

Next!

Complete strawman. Our troops are at the 38th parallel by AGREEMENT as part of the cease fire. NK AGREED to this.

When the US agrees to a cease fire with Mexico which allows their troops on our border and vice-versa, you'll then almost have a point.

Next!

Yes, I'm sure because they agreed to it that they're not threatened by our military presence at all.

Next!

Yes, I'm sure because they agreed to it that they're not threatened by our military presence at all.

I am an independent, and can quickly see why leftist/liberal opinions can be considered just so unbelievably fucking absurd and downright stupid by conservatives. The extreme desire and sickness of the far left in seeking to endlessly smudge the lines of acceptable behavior, to dumb down expectations when delineating civilized behavior of totalitarian nations, while requisitely attacking the US for just existing, is indescribable.

NK has kidnapped Japanese civilians, they maintain a massive army despite being unable to feed their people or obtain enough energy to drive their economy, and most importantly, they have tested nuclear weapons twice. How can a nation be called a "paper tiger" if it has nuclear weapons?

Next!

I am an independent, and can quickly see why leftist/liberal opinions can be considered just so unbelievably fucking absurd and downright stupid by conservatives. The extreme desire and sickness of the far left in seeking to endlessly smudge the lines of acceptable behavior, to dumb down expectations when delineating civilized behavior of totalitarian nations, while requisitely attacking the US for just existing, is indescribable.

NK has kidnapped Japanese civilians, they maintain a massive army despite being unable to feed their people or obtain enough energy to drive their economy, and most importantly, they have tested nuclear weapons twice. How can a nation be called a "paper tiger" if it has nuclear weapons?

Because China controls them ?

If they say they are, it's just a smokescreen. And only idiots would be fooled by it. The allied presence on the 38th parallel is part of the cease fire. If they don't like the cease fire, they are free to break it. The allies will not.

Point of fact, they have broken it many times in a technical sense over the decades. But the UN refuses to do anything about it, mainly because of China's veto power.

If they say they are, it's just a smokescreen. And only idiots would be fooled by it. The allied presence on the 38th parallel is part of the cease fire. If they don't like the cease fire, they are free to break it. The allies will not.

Point of fact, they have broken it many times in a technical sense over the decades. But the UN refuses to do anything about it, mainly because of China's veto power.

Why shouldn't they be threatened by our military presence? We've certainly showed over the years that we're willing to invade any country we want for any reason at all.

Why shouldn't they be threatened by our military presence? We've certainly showed over the years that we're willing to invade any country we want for any reason at all.

RETARD ALERT, RETARD ALERT.

You dumb ass the most we ever had in Korea after the draw down from a WAR North Korea started is 30 thousand troops. Further South Koreas military is smaller then North Korea's as is our own.

EXACTLY how would we invade them with 30 thousand troops you dumb ass?

You dumb ass the most we ever had in Korea after the draw down from a WAR North Korea started is 30 thousand troops. Further South Koreas military is smaller then North Korea's as is our own.

This is a very rude post. Perhaps you need to take a break from the message board if my post has you this flustered?

This is a very rude post. Perhaps you need to take a break from the message board if my post has you this flustered?

You do not get to tell me what to do. You want to make ignorant comments and then act offended when called on them? To bad buddy, suck it up and deal with the fact you are dumb as a rock on this issue.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

He's angry because you're just throwing out thoughtless, potentially trolling posts, which have no value. If you are going to attack the US, like a far left toad, then you need to bring supportive evidence. Saying "the US likes to attack other countries" is a mindless claim that won't sit well, and to make it and not expect to be frontally abused is even worse.

He's angry because you're just throwing out thoughtless, potentially trolling posts, which have no value. If you are going to attack the US, like a far left toad, then you need to bring supportive evidence. Saying "the US likes to attack other countries" is a mindless claim that won't sit well, and to make it and not expect to be frontally abused is even worse.

I think Kevin dumbass thinks he is a libertarian, but I could be wrong.

You do not get to tell me what to do. You want to make ignorant comments and then act offended when called on them? To bad buddy, suck it up and deal with the fact you are dumb as a rock on this issue.

Wasn't telling you what to do, merely making a suggestion. Also not offended by your post. Just pointing out that it's very childish.

Well since you essentially believe any post not made by you is trolling, I'll take this with a grain of salt.

Forum List

Back