North Korea - Declaration of War

USMCDevilDog

Jul 8, 2005
Alexandria, Virginia
Sounds like they want to get bombed....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061017/ap_on_re_as/koreas_nuclear

NKorea: Sanctions are declaration of war By JAE-SOON CHANG, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 33 minutes ago

North Korea on Tuesday blasted U.N. sanctions aimed at punishing the country for its nuclear test, saying the measures amount to a declaration of war and that the nation wouldn't cave in to such pressure now that it's a nuclear weapons power.

The bellicose remarks — the central government's first response to the U.N. measures imposed last weekend — came as China warned the North against stoking tensions and the American nuclear envoy arrived in South Korea for talks.

The North broke two days of silence about the U.N. resolution adopted after its Oct. 9 nuclear test, issuing a Foreign Ministry statement on its official Korean Central News Agency.

"The resolution cannot be construed otherwise than a declaration of a war" against the North, also known as the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

The North warned it "wants peace but is not afraid of war" and that it would "deal merciless blows" against anyone who violates its sovereignty.

The communist nation "had remained unfazed in any storm and stress in the past when it had no nuclear weapons," the statement said. "It is quite nonsensical to expect the DPRK to yield to the pressure and threat of someone at this time when it has become a nuclear weapons state."

China has long been one of North Korea's few friends, but relations have been frayed in recent months by Pyongyang's missile tests and last week's nuclear blast.

On Tuesday, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Liu Jianchao warned Pyongyang against aggravating tensions and said the North should help resolve the situation "through dialogue and consultation."

The verbal volley came as the U.S. pressed on with a round of diplomacy in Asia aimed at finding consensus on how to implement the sanctions. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice was expected to arrive in Japan on Wednesday before traveling to South Korea and China.

After landing in Seoul on Tuesday, the U.S. nuclear envoy, Assistant Secretary of State Christopher Hill, said he couldn't confirm media reports that the North may be preparing for another test explosion.

But Hill stressed that the international community should make the North pay a "high price" for its "reckless behavior."

Hill told reporters he wanted to talk to South Korean officials about reports the North was getting ready for a second nuclear test. Japan's government also had "information" about another possible blast, Foreign Minister Taro Aso told reporters, without elaborating.

But a senior South Korean official told foreign journalists that despite signs of a possible second test, it was unlikely to happen immediately.

"We have yet to confirm any imminent signs of a second nuclear test," the official said on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the information.

China, whose support for the sanctions is key to whether they will have any impact on neighboring North Korea, began examining trucks at the North Korean border.

The measures ban trade with the North in major weapons and materials that could be used in its ballistic missile and weapons of mass destruction programs. They call for all countries to inspect cargo to and from North Korea to enforce the prohibition.

Hill planned to meet his South Korean counterpart, Chun Yung-woo, and the two were to hold a three-way meeting with their Russian counterpart, Deputy Foreign Minister Alexander Alexeyev, who has been in Seoul since Sunday.

Russian Prime Minister Mikhail Fradkov was also due in Seoul for talks with his South Korean counterpart. North Korea was expected to top their agenda.

South Korea has said it would fully comply with the sanctions but has also indicated that it has no intention of halting key economic projects with the North, despite concerns that they may help fund the North's nuclear and missile programs.

"Sanctions against North Korea should be done in a way that draws North Korea to the dialogue table," South Korean Prime Minister Han Myung-sook said Tuesday ahead of her meeting with Fradkov, according to Yonhap news agency. "There should never be a way that causes armed clashes."

In Washington, U.S. National Intelligence Director John Negroponte's office said Monday that air samples gathered last week contain radioactive materials that confirm that North Korea conducted an underground nuclear explosion.

In a short statement posted on its Web site, Negroponte's office also confirmed that the size of the explosion was less than 1 kiloton, a comparatively small nuclear detonation. Each kiloton is equal to the force produced by 1,000 tons of TNT.

It was the first official confirmation from the United States that a nuclear detonation took place, as Pyongyang has claimed.

Meanwhile, the U.S. envoy on North Korean human rights, Jay Lefkowitz, urged China and South Korea to rethink aid policies to North Korea, saying unmonitored assistance could prop up a "criminal regime."

China and South Korea provide large amounts of badly needed economic and energy aid. Both Beijing and Seoul worry that a collapsed regime in Pyongyang could send refugees flooding over their borders.

___

Associated Press writers Bo-Mi Lim and William Foreman in Seoul, Audra Ang in Beijing and Kana Inagaki in Tokyo contributed to this report.

How does the liberal media view threats like NK and Iran?

NBC's Andrea Mitchell and CBS's Gloria Borger: World Views U.S. As 'Arrogant Bullies'
Posted by Geoffrey Dickens on October 16, 2006 - 15:40.
On the syndicated Chris Matthews Show NBC's Andrea Mitchell and CBS's Gloria Borger sounded like Blame America Firsters when explaining what the American public wants in a candidate for '08. Mitchell worried that world views the U.S. as "bullies" and "arrogant." Borger punctuated Mitchell's theory saying the American voter is "done with the arrogance of American foreign policy." The following exchange occurred on the October 15th edition of The Chris Matthews Show:

Andrea Mitchell: "That and I think what might most, could be the most profound problem beyond our men and women overseas in harm's way is how much hated the United States is for a variety of reasons. Fairly or not fairly. There is a perception abroad and it's in Europe and it's in the Islamic world and it's in Asia is that we are bullies, is that we're arrogant. It goes back to decisions that were made or perceptions of decisions, the wars. And whether it's fair or not somebody's gotta fix that and that cannot be fixed with Radio Free Europe or its descendants. It is a big, big problem."

Gloria Borger: "That's, that's why the American voters are gonna go back to what David [Brooks] is saying. The American voters are going to say, 'Next time around we want somebody who can work in a bipartisan way, who can work in a reasonable way, who can work abroad in a reasonable way. We're done with the arrogance of American foreign policy. We want to see people work together. We want to see us work with our allies and we're just not the bosses all the time.' And I think that Americans are looking for that."

http://newsbusters.org/node/8366

How does the liberal media view threats like NK and Iran?

NBC's Andrea Mitchell and CBS's Gloria Borger: World Views U.S. As 'Arrogant Bullies'
Posted by Geoffrey Dickens on October 16, 2006 - 15:40.
On the syndicated Chris Matthews Show NBC's Andrea Mitchell and CBS's Gloria Borger sounded like Blame America Firsters when explaining what the American public wants in a candidate for '08. Mitchell worried that world views the U.S. as "bullies" and "arrogant." Borger punctuated Mitchell's theory saying the American voter is "done with the arrogance of American foreign policy." The following exchange occurred on the October 15th edition of The Chris Matthews Show:

Andrea Mitchell: "That and I think what might most, could be the most profound problem beyond our men and women overseas in harm's way is how much hated the United States is for a variety of reasons. Fairly or not fairly. There is a perception abroad and it's in Europe and it's in the Islamic world and it's in Asia is that we are bullies, is that we're arrogant. It goes back to decisions that were made or perceptions of decisions, the wars. And whether it's fair or not somebody's gotta fix that and that cannot be fixed with Radio Free Europe or its descendants. It is a big, big problem."

Gloria Borger: "That's, that's why the American voters are gonna go back to what David [Brooks] is saying. The American voters are going to say, 'Next time around we want somebody who can work in a bipartisan way, who can work in a reasonable way, who can work abroad in a reasonable way. We're done with the arrogance of American foreign policy. We want to see people work together. We want to see us work with our allies and we're just not the bosses all the time.' And I think that Americans are looking for that."

http://newsbusters.org/node/8366

They think everyone thinks this way. The liberals need to realize not everyone has their stupid ass opinion. Not every American is "fed up" with our foreign policy. NK and Iran have made direct threats to America and other allies of America, so I guess it's bullying if we say we might attack them for threatening us so we don't get attack before hand. Fucking idiots don't realize that America is the only place standing up for its god damn self, everyone else cowards behind the Useless Nations (UN) and wait for them to put useless sanctions on a country that we all know doesn't give a flying fuck about the sanctions. You really think that NK is going to listen to the UN? Hell no. If these countries don't even subside to America threatening them (which in my opinion would suck if I was in their shoes) then the UN isn't going to do jack shit to them.

Grow some fucking balls people.

Who the hell does Kim think he is kidding??? And THEY are going to mercilessly screw any nation who violates their sovereignity???That's a good one!!!:D

The U.S should just send an ICBM into that nation and blast that nation!!!

Akshay

Who the hell does Kim think he is kidding??? And THEY are going to mercilessly screw any nation who violates their sovereignity???That's a good one!!!:D

Akshay
You sure seem gung-ho on the US acting first. Why not Japan or China?
What’s your agenda?

Akshay

i think the muslims should invade.....damn NK infidels

Akshay

You sure are awful loose with US weaponry and US forces!

As far as im concerned illegally building nuclear weapons to threaten, extort, and attack neighboring contries with is an act of war. One North Korea already violated.

You sure seem gung-ho on the US acting first. Why not Japan or China?
What’s your agenda?

Wow...if his location was Macon, Ga you would be giving him a "Hell yes!"

But because he is located in Dubai, his anti-NK sentiment is an 'agenda'.

Mr. P, do you have a "distrust of foreigners" complex?

I don't understand why people think of me as a person residing in Dubai while reading my post!!!! I am an Indian guys!!!!

As for Japan or S.Korea attacking N.K first ...they are sissys ..They won't attack first..But they WILL help the U.S out militarily IF U.S attacks N.K!!
And I didn't understand when Mr Dilloduck said "Let India do it!!! Just for target practice!!" What's your point Mr Dilloduck????

As for Mr CSM tellimg me "You sure are awful loose with US weaponry and US forces!" If the U.S won't punish N.K who will???
You think it really matters to Kim wether the Security Council carries out a million sanctions against his pathetic nation?? The bastard even has the balls to challenge the U.S to a direct war!!!

And Mr P. I love America. I am no foreigner to the States. I have lived in San Jose , California for 2 years and I am practically in love with that state!!!
Now , I hope YOU understand my N.K agenda. And since I am Indian.. I also hate the stinky Chinese who are BEHIND North korea's nukes!!!! I blame the Chinese for EVERY weapon which N.K has built!!

Akshay

I don't understand why people think of me as a person residing in Dubai while reading my post!!!! I am an Indian guys!!!!

As for Japan or S.Korea attacking N.K first ...they are sissys ..They won't attack first..But they WILL help the U.S out militarily IF U.S attacks N.K!!
And I didn't understand when Mr Dilloduck said "Let India do it!!! Just for target practice!!" What's your point Mr Dilloduck????

As for Mr CSM tellimg me "You sure are awful loose with US weaponry and US forces!" If the U.S won't punish N.K who will???
You think it really matters to Kim wether the Security Council carries out a million sanctions against his pathetic nation?? The bastard even has the balls to challenge the U.S to a direct war!!!

And Mr P. I love America. I am no foreigner to the States. I have lived in San Jose , California for 2 years and I am practically in love with that state!!!
Now , I hope YOU understand my N.K agenda. And since I am Indian.. I also hate the stinky Chinese who are BEHIND North korea's nukes!!!! I blame the Chinese for EVERY weapon which N.K has built!!

Akshay

The problem for the US is that when it does act unilaterally, the rest of the world immediately begins to not only hope for the defeat of the US but even actively engage in efforts to ensure its defeat. The European efforts to undermine UN sanctions against Iraq are a prime example.

The rest of the world doesn't want the US to be the world's policemen, they hate US influence and yet they will not get off their own asses and do anything to protect themselves. Your statement ("If the U.S won't punish N.K who will???") is very, very telling. Maybe the answer is that the other nations such as Japan, India, South Korea, and yes, even European countries form a coalition and THEY "punish" North Korea. We know that won't happen.

Recent history already proves that the rest of the world will prod the US to act and then sit back and critique, criticize and denigrate the US as being imperialistic bullies. They will condemn the US military as being worse than terrorists, compare our leaders to Hitler and Stalin, express their outrage at the detainment/treatment of the enemy, make allegations of torture and be all indignant about "secret prisons". They will make much ado about supposed US violations of international law and immediately begin the appeasement process with our new found enemy. Within the US, the "Blame America First" crowd will continue your their shrill assertion that we brougt it all on ourselves (that has ALREADY started, by the way); the liberals and Democrats will say it is all Bush's and the Republican's fault and offer no solutions other than to impeach each and every opponent in political office and then subvert this nation's sovereignty to every fly-by-night international body that comes along.

I'll wait for NK to fire the first nuke...then maybe...just maybe...I will urge our country to act. Until then, I am an advocate of "wait and see"; after all, we don't want to rush to a war with a country which poses no direct threat to the US; especially since it is entirely possible that the intelligence may be flawed and (as we have been told oh so many times) the current administration is probably lying.

I'll wait for NK to fire the first nuke...then maybe...just maybe...I will urge our country to act. Until then, I am an advocate of "wait and see"; after all, we don't want to rush to a war with a country which poses no direct threat to the US; especially since it is entirely possible that the intelligence may be flawed and (as we have been told oh so many times) the current administration is probably lying.[/QUOTE]

So you are saying that you will wait for N.K to fire a nuke at Okinawa in Japan which will wipe out a 1000 American lives or else a nuke at L.A which will wipe out millions , AND THEN YOU WILL ACT????!!!!

I mean ..C'mon Kim has the bomb... He can have a missile range as far as California...He fires a nuke..WIPING OUT MILLIONS OF AMERICAN(And not ONLY American lives) lives ..AND THEN THE U.S will act???

Its like shutting the door when the horse has bolted!!!!

AksHay

So you are saying that you will wait for N.K to fire a nuke at Okinawa in Japan which will wipe out a 1000 American lives or else a nuke at L.A which will wipe out millions , AND THEN YOU WILL ACT????!!!!

I mean ..C'mon Kim has the bomb... He can have a missile range as far as California...He fires a nuke..WIPING OUT MILLIONS OF AMERICAN(And not ONLY American lives) lives ..AND THEN THE U.S will act???

Its like shutting the door when the horse has bolted!!!!

AksHay

But going in now would be preemption; the world says that’s a BAD thing. Didn’t they get that memo in India?

India and pre-emptive ??? Give me a break!!! We never have carried out a pre-emptive unilateral military strike on any nation(including Pakistan).If ya don't believe me..read Indian history!!!

Yes..We will carry out a pre-emptive unilateral military strike if we come to know that Pakistan or China is going to bomb us!!!

And that's the same scenario for N.K vs U.S.A!!!
What's the guranteed Kim dosen't fire a nuke into Beverly Hills in the coming few months!!
He already has declared war on U.S!!! And HE sure does or can have a missile range as far as California in the coming future. As I asked earlier..

IS AMERICA PREPARED TO LOSE A CITY?? BECAUSE KIM DOSEN'T CARE IF HIS NATION GETS BLASTED INTO OBLIVION IF HE CAN HURT AMERICA BADLY!!!
AMERICA ISN'T PREPARED FOR CASUALTIES.IT IS NOT PREPARED TO LOSE EVEN A A SINGLE CITY...WHEREAS KIM JONG IL DOSEN'T CARE IF PYONGYANG GETS WIPED OUT FROM THE MAP!!! ITS A BLOODY FACT..

AKshay

PS:- Is America afraid of what the other nations will say if it attacks N.K??
The only countries that will make noise are- China (obviously) , Iran(again..obviously),Venezuela(yup..Chavez will!!) , Cuba(Maybe..Remember ,Castro isn't in power anymore).
I don't see any other nation making a hue and cry over U.S going into N.K!!
It is because here for the first time America and its allies are directly threatened by a madman in Pyongyang who has nukes. And he has publicly declared to fire them at the U.S or Japan!!!!

Akshay

PS:- Is America afraid of what the other nations will say if it attacks N.K??
The only countries that will make noise are- China (obviously) , Iran(again..obviously),Venezuela(yup..Chavez will!!) , Cuba(Maybe..Remember ,Castro isn't in power anymore).
I don't see any other nation making a hue and cry over U.S going into N.K!!
It is because here for the first time America and its allies are directly threatened by a madman in Pyongyang who has nukes. And he has publicly declared to fire them at the U.S or Japan!!!!

Akshay
You’re no Diplomat are you?

These days you gotta talk first haven’t you got that memo either? Involve the UN too.
We did all that before Iraq. Did it matter? Nope. We were still wrong, according to the world.

And now, you’re advocating we just go into NK now. Suck it up and do something if you don’t like it, we’re done with ALL the hard work in the world, it’s time to share.

Again, what is your agenda?

Hey, Mr P why do you keep expounding on "agenda,agenada.." everytime???

Do you mistrust the Indian mind???:huh:

If you want to share the burden of going into N.K then you have S.Korea and Japan. Adn the only country that's gonna blame you is China!!! Trust me!!!

Akshay

Forum List

Back