North Kansas City School District apologizes for taking away blind child’s cane

CherryPanda

Aug 12, 2014
Two North Kansas City parents are outraged after they say their blind son’s cane was taken away from him at school by a bus driver.

Eight-year-old Dakota Nafzinger attends Gracemor Elementary School. Rachel Nafzinger said school staff took away her son’s cane as punishment for bad behavior on the bus and then gave him a swimming pool noodle to use as a substitute.

The school wouldn’t go on camera, but North Kansas City School District Spokeswoman Michelle Cronk confirmed taking away Dakota’s cane, calling it school property that was given to him when he enrolled. They said they took it away after he reportedly hit someone with it and wanted to prevent him from hurting himself or others.

His family said it was a way to humiliate him for misbehaving.

They say Dakota is like any other 8-year-old, only he was born without eyes — something in the medical world known as Bilateral Anopthalmia. Still, Dakota loves to sing, fish and swim — despite the extra work those activities require from someone who is blind.

North Kansas City School District apologizes for taking away blind child 8217 s cane fox4kc.com

Frankly speaking, I am shocked. How can anyone one be so unreasonable and even cruel towards the boy? I mean, it’s like taking someone’s hand or leg for misbehaving. What’s wrong with this school and its staff?

Yeah, they apologized, but they should think before doing such stuff in the first place.

Having a cane brings a responsibility that the cane will not be used as a weapon. The boy hit other children with his cane. That's where the problem is. Did he need to use the cane as a weapon or was he just being a brat?

Having a cane brings a responsibility that the cane will not be used as a weapon. The boy hit other children with his cane. That's where the problem is. Did he need to use the cane as a weapon or was he just being a brat?
Children are expelled for making a "gun" gesture with their thumb and finger.
Yet this kid will continue to be allowed his weapon?
Schools are so fucked up.

Such a different tone to this thread as opposed to the thread posted about this event yesterday.

Two North Kansas City parents are outraged after they say their blind son’s cane was taken away from him at school by a bus driver.

Eight-year-old Dakota Nafzinger attends Gracemor Elementary School. Rachel Nafzinger said school staff took away her son’s cane as punishment for bad behavior on the bus and then gave him a swimming pool noodle to use as a substitute.

The school wouldn’t go on camera, but North Kansas City School District Spokeswoman Michelle Cronk confirmed taking away Dakota’s cane, calling it school property that was given to him when he enrolled. They said they took it away after he reportedly hit someone with it and wanted to prevent him from hurting himself or others.

They say Dakota is like any other 8-year-old, only he was born without eyes — something in the medical world known as Bilateral Anopthalmia. Still, Dakota loves to sing, fish and swim — despite the extra work those activities require from someone who is blind.

North Kansas City School District apologizes for taking away blind child 8217 s cane fox4kc.com

Frankly speaking, I am shocked. How can anyone one be so unreasonable and even cruel towards the boy? I mean, it’s like taking someone’s hand or leg for misbehaving. What’s wrong with this school and its staff?

Yeah, they apologized, but they should think before doing such stuff in the first place.

I went to high school in North Kansas City!

That explains a lot... :D

:rofl:

In my opinion talk is cheep and the action that they chose to take against that child is what says it all. What made them think that keeping the boy after school for detention or suspending him was not enough if he was misbehaving?

God bless you and the boy always!!!

Holly

In my opinion talk is cheep and the action that they chose to take against that child is what says it all. What made them think that keeping the boy after school for detention or suspending him was not enough if he was misbehaving?

Holly
If he was using a weapon. The weapon needs to be taken away.

Holly
If he turned the cane, that he needs to get around, into a weapon, how much damage can he actually do with it when he is blind?

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly

Holly
If he turned the cane, that he needs to get around, into a weapon, how much damage can he actually do with it when he is blind?

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly
My dog is blind. She's fast too and could bite your fingers off. An enraged blind kid using a cane as a weapon wouldn't necessarily hit the intended target.

When I was fencing my fencing master had bouts where both fencers would be blindfolded as a training exercise. You think of the blind as more disabled than they are.

I agree that misbehavior should be punished. But that cane is equal to eyes to this boy. You don't take someone's eyes away for misbehavior. There are many other ways to show a kid he was wrong.

Holly

Hmmm... If a kid uses his arm or leg as a weapon, does this mean it should be taken away from him as a punishment?
And if it had been a kid in a wheelchair using it to misbehave? Would have been taking away this chair a proper measure?

He was supposed to have hit a kid but, even if it's true, we have no idea why.
Basically, we can't say shit all until we know the facts.

Children hit each other with different things because they are kids.

Forum List

Back