North Dakota county may become US's 1st to bar new refugees

Not only does North Dakotans have a rough time accepting new refugees, they also make it tough on the people who have inhabited North Dakota for centuries before any Anglo Saxon every stepped foot into what is now North.Dakota.
================================
North Dakota law requires voters to provide an ID listing an address, but not all residents on tribal land have one. Before 2013, voters who did not have one could sign an affidavit attesting to their eligibility.
That provision was removed by state Republicans after Democrat Heidi Heitkamp narrowly claimed a U.S. Senate seat in 2012 with the help of votes cast by Native Americans, who make up five percent of the state’s population.
The rule change faces legal challenges because many living on reservations use post office boxes, not street addresses..
Native Americans not stripped of voting rights in North Dakota
Leave it to Republicans to suppress the vote of the original people who lived there, North and South Dakota got their name honoring the Dakota Sioux Tribe. Now Republicans are fucking them over.

I call BS on that, every residence in the US has a street address to comply with the 911 system, that included rural routes that formerly used RT# and Box #. It would be simple to set up street delivery anywhere in the US.

They have street address on reservations and no one is suppressing the vote there. This is that continual whitewashing that libs do. They did it for decades as the party of slavery and segregagtion, always whitewashing their past.

Really, have you been to a North Dakota Reservation? You are wrong.

I've been. They have addresses.

Not only does North Dakotans have a rough time accepting new refugees, they also make it tough on the people who have inhabited North Dakota for centuries before any Anglo Saxon every stepped foot into what is now North.Dakota.
North Dakota law requires voters to provide an ID listing an address, but not all residents on tribal land have one. Before 2013, voters who did not have one could sign an affidavit attesting to their eligibility.
That provision was removed by state Republicans after Democrat Heidi Heitkamp narrowly claimed a U.S. Senate seat in 2012 with the help of votes cast by Native Americans, who make up five percent of the state’s population.
The rule change faces legal challenges because many living on reservations use post office boxes, not street addresses..
Leave it to Republicans to suppress the vote of the original people who lived there, North and South Dakota got their name honoring the Dakota Sioux Tribe. Now Republicans are fucking them over.

So you support tribal sovereignty but not American sovereignty?

The Constitution of the United States says it is a fundamental right for US citizens to vote.
I noted that because the Indians Nation usually votes for the Democrats, the Republicans knowingly made in almost impossible for Indians living on reservations to vote. They knew that most Indians don't have residential addresses or street names because that's the way the US government set up reservations.
It is pure voter suppression. But then people like you like voter suppression, as the Republican Party has a smaller membership than their main opponent.
Who is more American than Native Americans, they are America.

You're preaching to the wrong guy bud...I'm ready to go full commie to stop Democrats from winning any election...I'm to the the point where I'd fully support Auschwitz style camps for the Left / Democrats to wait for their gassing.
Natives are not "America"...this territory became America in 1776...Did you drop out before third grade?

But the idea was quickly opposed in more conservative Burleigh County. Among the opponents was Republican state Rep. Rick Becker, of Bismarck, an ultraconservative who took to social media to criticize the program as unrestrained and a possible drain on social service programs, schools and law enforcement, though the county said it doesn't track any costs directly related to refugees.

However, the numbers tell a different story-

Shirley Dykshoorn, a vice president for Lutheran Social Services, which handles all of North Dakota's refugee resettlement cases, said her agency used to handle about 400 cases per year, but that number dropped to 124 in fiscal 2019, which ended in September. The program has been in existence in North Dakota since 1948.

LSS settled 24 refugees in Bismarck in fiscal 2019, after settling 22 in fiscal 2018. Dykshoorn said Burleigh County had been projected to get no more than 25 refugees annually in the coming years.

“We always look at the capacity of a community to handle these,” she said.

“I’m trying to understand the basis for believing how 25 people will dramatically change the fabric of a community,” she said. “What does it say to the rest of the country when a county where your capital city is located would choose not to participate?"

North Dakota county may become US's 1st to bar new refugees
Moving to that place is a jail sentence. Who in their right mind wants to live there?

bet immigrants are really pissed off - North Dakota is a well known border crossing - #2 behind Colorado.

:abgg2q.jpg:

I call BS on that, every residence in the US has a street address to comply with the 911 system, that included rural routes that formerly used RT# and Box #. It would be simple to set up street delivery anywhere in the US.

They have street address on reservations and no one is suppressing the vote there. This is that continual whitewashing that libs do. They did it for decades as the party of slavery and segregagtion, always whitewashing their past.

Really? Which one? and why would someone from South Texas be on an Indian Reservation?
Thousands of Native voters in North Dakota getting free IDs

Really? Which one? and why would someone from South Texas be on an Indian Reservation?

So you just revealed your lies, they do have street addresses, GO FIGURE.

bet immigrants are really pissed off - North Dakota is a well known border crossing - #2 behind Colorado.

I driven through most of North Dakota several times due to my job and have spent time in Bismarck visiting a college friend.
I can't imagine that there are a whole lot of refugees who'd actually want to go there. Sparce population, no scenery, not many recreation areas, about one tree for every mile and the wind blows constantly because there is nothing to stop the wind. There isn't a whole lot to do there, except in eastern North Dakota
When refugees cross the border there, I'm sure they go east, west or south, as fast as they can. :eek-52:

I driven through most of North Dakota several times due to my job and have spent time in Bismarck visiting a college friend.
I can't imagine that there are a whole lot of refugees who'd actually want to go there. Sparce population, no scenery, not many recreation areas, about one tree for every mile and the wind blows constantly because there is nothing to stop the wind. There isn't a whole lot to do there, except in eastern North Dakota
When refugees cross the border there, I'm sure they go east, west or south, as fast as they can. :eek-52:

plenty of jobs for mexican yard crews - the line forms to the right

122818.N.FF.STORMIMPACT.08.jpg

Oh?
For some Native Americans, no home address might mean no voting

Oh?

And your other link contradicts this one, they are issuing IDs with street addresses. Are you saying they are committing fraud by inventing street addresses?

Oh?

And your other link contradicts this one, they are issuing IDs with street addresses. Are you saying they are committing fraud by inventing street addresses?

NOPE -

just say that the article assumes immigrants want to flock to some frozen ass tundra state to stay iced in for months not working or making money.

but theres always stupd shit rw's that do .........

Good for them. The United states has plenty of muslim refugees. Let Iran take some.

Immigration policy is the purview of the federal government.

So are GUN RIGHTS which are protected under the Federal Constitution, yet states, and cities have gotten away with passing illegal laws that the corrupt courts uphold. So, that precedent would allow States to pass immigration laws. Good for ND!

Forum List

Back